Canuck

PPPB Event Results

Some of the Xaos flyers were at Lisa Galliager's Memorial boogie. I got to watch Andy and Mike throw their wild carves up close... impressive... and scary at the same time....
If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will....

You guys are starting to sound like bellyflyers. I feel alot of tension when I come into this forum. I'm sure I'll get ditched for my opinion too. Admitting that I am not one of the better swoopers(two femurs later) but I have to agree with the comment about controlled stopping of your swoops shows exactly how good you really are. If we don't put some sort of requirement on stopping, the next thing we're going to see on drop zones is everyone wearing leathers, swooping downwind and sliding in on their ass then hopping up and saying Wow did you see that bad-ass swoop.
When did we give up technique for distance. I'm just worried about the new kids coming up jumping itty-bitty canopies and always sliding in and using the pros as an example.
My 2 cents just like everyone elses.

I don't think any of the pros advocate sliding in for anything other than actual distance comps... having watched many of them, they do stand ups on most if not all of their practice jumps. They don't land down wind on a regular basis either... That particular comp is to get the best distance, you do that by keeping your feet off the ground, its called playing the game... You don't like the rules of the PPPB event (or the others) don't play... or better yet come up with your own, seek sponsors, market it, yada, yada, yada... If it is attractive enough, the big names will show, and still do very well (if not win).
http://www.aerialfusion.com

...controlled stopping of your swoops shows exactly how good you really are.

Do you really think the way they're stopping is uncontrolled or unintentional? They stop the way they do intentionally, either for added distance or because it's safer. If there was a stand-up rule in the PPPB, the same people would still win. Go to the Ranch this year. You get more points at the PSNs for stand-up landings. Compare the names on the top ten list at the Ranch with the names of the top ten on the PPPB. Coincidence?

When did we give up technique for distance. I'm just worried about the new kids coming up jumping itty-bitty canopies and always sliding in and using the pros as an example.

Are you suggesting that the pros always slide in? I think you're the one under the wrong impression.... Why don't you take a field trip just to watch 'em land and tell us how many slide in on 10/10 jumps... or 100/100... or 1000/1000....
Jason

What I think is funny is people who continue to complain about rules, and discount the abilities of the competitors in a competition that they obviously know little about. As Jason says in his post, do you think these guys are out of control or can't land on their feet? If you do, you're on crack. They make a choice to slide in order to maximize distance (the point of the event).
I understand people's positions on stand-ups, but them ain't the rules, so they can wait on the sidelines until they change. If the rules do change, I doubt it will change the results.
So I have changed my mind about starting your own comp... if you don't want to play by the rules, just don't play.
Josh

I don't think anyone was actually complaining about the rules. People are stating their opinions..
A professional canopy pilot no matter if he is going for speed or distance should stand up everytime for it to count. That is my opinion.. The rules are different? Oh well?? If I ever compete I will not pass a thresh hold where I can no longer stand up my landings.
Landing on your feet should be an ELEMENTARY requirement in a swoop competition?? It's not.. I can accept that.. No biggie.
Again I think it is like Tiger Woods picking up his ball on the 18th hole of the masters not making his 2 foot put?? Finish out? Complete the round? That last putt is what the whole round is about..
Rhino
One more thing.. I don't doubt the skill of a single competitor..
Blue Skies ..... ;)

Again I think it is like Tiger Woods picking up his ball on the 18th hole of the masters not making his 2 foot put?? Finish out? Complete the round? That last putt is what the whole round is about..

but those are the rules of golf... if the rules of golf said gimmies were ok, then even Tiger would pick up.

My Dad use to say if you are going to do something half assed don't do it at all..
Watching Hook swoop in on his vx60 and stand it up is impressive.. Watching him slide in "repeatedly" on his ass which I have NEVER seen him do once would be half assed.
Blue Skies ..... ;)

You know what Rhino, I think you're absolutely right. That rule should apply in other sports too! Oh yeah, and the golf analogy fits perfectly!
If a world class long-jumper doesn't stand up his 29 ft jump, it shouldn't count damnit! And for that matter, high jumpers and pole-vaulters should have to stand up too. Everytime! Baseball players shouldn't be allowed to slide into base either, it's kinda cheating. I mean, they're professional athletes!
My point is: a swoop competition is about testing how well a person can fly his/her canopy. Everybody likes to stand up, and we all do most of the time. But that isn't the challenge, that isn't what's being tested-- it's how far you can fly your parachute, and how fast, and with how much precision. Furthermore, you don't have to slide in your landings, you can land any way you want to. Shannon stood up his 418 ft swoop, so it's definitely not a requirement.
There's no point in posting here anymore... Is there some way that I can avoid seeing certain user's posts? That would be a nice feature.
Jason

When you fly an airliner you have to land it.. Try sliding it in..
Your analogies are way off my friend..
Long Jumpers, Baseball players, Pole vaulters finish on their ass.. They don't have parachutes over their heads...
Part of playing golf is finishing the round.. Part of landing an acrobatic plane is LANDING not crash landing with no landing gear saying.. WHEW!! That was a great flight!!! Let me clean this bitch up, fix the damage and try again..
Get real man..
You can argue all you want.. What I and others are saying is perfectly understandable.
But hey, you want to keep sliding in on your ass more power to you and anyone else that wants to try.. I know this though.. When I watch swoops and see someone stand it up I say good swoop!! When I see someone slide it in I think WHAT THE FUCK?
Rhino
Blue Skies ..... ;)

Look, I don't really care. Stand-up rule or no stand-up rule, I'm going to compete and have fun. You and "hook" can talk on this internet forum until your fingers callus over, but why should anyone believe what either of you say with no baseline for comparison. Stop typing and start producing results. Get out there and compete. Follow your convictions, stand up your landings, but man, one of you should start walking the walk.
I'm done posting on this thread....
Jason

Get real man..

How many times does it have to be said to you? Go read this.
A few highlights, in case clicking on the link is too much effort -
"Some things will make you unpopular:
3) Repeating yourself
4) Rudeness"
and...
"Finally, a few good ideas:
3) Think before you post
4) Use your common sense"
You've made your argument here, then repeated yourself over and over. By now, we all know exactly what you think. Please. Stop now.
pull & flare,
lisa
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda sez

On the one hand, whuffo crowds love to see the occaissional biff
Second point, I can understand sliding a landing at a distance event.
Just last month, we were watching video of the last pond swooping nationals with a bunch of POPS. After watching repeated biffs, one of the POPS asked "And these guys are supposed to be the best in the business?" and stomped off in disgust.
In the long run, competitors are role models for junior jumpers. If junior jumpers see their heros and role models accepting awful landings in the interest of gaining a few more points, junior jumpers will accept biffing and fracturing. This trend is leading junior jumpers in the wrong direction.
Some blade running events should have bonus points based on standing landings.
BASE jumping competitors got it right a long time ago: stand up the landing if you want to win.

>BASE jumping competitors got it right a long time ago: stand up the landing if you want to win.
Base jumping also does not have the consideration of having to use the same canopy for speed, Distance and accuracy at the same time. Also look at the differences here, an off landing on a Base is going to have no outs.... PPPB.... the lake you just swooped over.
Sport Accuracy requires a stand up landing.... go compete in that if you want to stand up every landing over land, PPPB is over water too...
If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will....

I can see how a little sliding in one event for a "Pro" is ok, but how many times have you seen 100 jump, 200 jump wonders doing the same thing cause that is what they saw on the ranch video. Or how about that guy who just got his 1st VX and since he doesn't know how to fly it as well or swoop it as well as some of the other pilots, does something stupid like swooping downwind to a sliding on his belly landing so the "spectators" notice him. I've seen it to many times to count, and I'm sure all of you will get up and say well someone should talk to him, but guess what you were the same ones clapping when he did it.
The "pros" are role models what they do people see and want to do the same thing or better, so maybe it is time they counted up all the injuries over the years and showed the younger jumpers that if you fuck up in a sport that has almost no margin for error you can and will get hurt. It might be as minor as a sprain or as major as a femor, but fuck up a little and you can get hurt fuck up a lot and you can end up dead.
Our friends are getting hurt and killed every weekend, maybe it's time we all took an ego check and figure out where the hell this attutude of "go big or go home" came from. Of course I'm a chick who doesn't swoop and who was told when I first got up here to get a bigger canopy cause I slid my first few landings in, so what do I know. I'll tell you what I know, I know I have 2 friends who are dead, I have one who was seriously fucked up and several others with minor injuries. I'm tired of being scared every weekend of getting another phonecall that says someone (perhaps one of you) didn't survive the weekend.
Kelli
Non-swooper, who cares to much about everyone.