axe96bam

what do you fly?

I currently fly a Competition Cobalt 75 and an H-mod Cobalt 75, both loaded at 2.26 without weight, 2.4 with weights. I also jump a Competition Cobalt 65 loaded at 2.61 without lead, 2.8 with.
I have 2870 skydives. To all you newbies out there: this is not an "I load heavier than you do" thread. It was just to see what people in here are currently jumping.
Those of us jumping canopies at extreme wingloads (anything over 2.0 generally) do so with full knowledge that it can be VERY hazerdous as compared to jumping at a recreational wingloads. Most of us have friends who have paid dearly because of botched landings under these wings. We know the risks (and may have lived through landing injuries), weigh the odds, and do our best to fly them in a controlled manner.
As an Instructor and competitor, I assist my DZO in keeping "loose canons" in check. It's pretty clear to see when someone bit off a little more than they can chew. Don't let your vanity guide you through your canopy buying process.
End of rant. Now, what does everyone else jump? It would help if all of you would go back and put your jump numbers with your post, so we can have a better reference.
Chuck
My webpage HERE

I almost decided not to post my info up, but after some more thought, I've decided to. My jump number to wingloading ratio is relatively low compared to some of you, but I know that I've approached it right. I got the right instruction and spent a lot of time under canopy to get where I am. In fact, I've done more hop 'n pops in the last 300 jumps than all other types of jumps combined. Just like some jumpers concentrate on RW, and some on freeflying, I've made it a point to concentrate on canopy flight. Well, maybe I don't have to explain... but I'd be happy to discuss it with anyone:
Xaos 98 @ 2.3 - 2.4
600 jumps
Jason

Sorry....Jump numbers=139 I have been flying a PD 190 (@ 1.29) since jump #30 or so. Been flying the same PD 190 since jump 48. Finally gonna downsize to the Stilletto 170 (@ 1.35) this weekend. If my arms are not in casts I'll type my results on Monday! :D
"I only have a C license, so I don't know shit..right?"-Clay

Chuck is right about this thread. it was just to inform people what is you canopy experience and also to show you whom you should listen to for advice. I would hate to see anew jumper take instructions on advanced canopy flight from someone who never flew a high performance canopy. That just would not be fare.
Alex

forgot jump numbers...very careful and I do not jump the FX at DZs with tight landing areas, and I do not advocate anyone downsizing as fast as I did. I have probably done a dozen clear and pulls at 14k with the FX to get aquainted with flight characteristics as I have with most of my intermediate canopies.
I have downsized much faster than is normal or safe but only one size at a time, and at one point in my career upsized after an incident. I ask lots of questions and heed the advice of experienced swoopers.
peace
ramon

Ariel 150 at 1.466
Sabre 135 at 1.6
Diablo 135 at 1.6
3700 jumps over 25 years, including 350 jumps last year.
Yes, I know that I am slightly over-loading the Sabre 135.
eames brought up a good point. Jump numbers are a crude measure of canopy flying skill. The problem is that skydiving fashions and coaching skill levels vary so widely from one DZ to the next that straight across comparisons are meaningless. This is a long-running debate within the CSPA Coaching Committee. Some committee members believe that numbers are a reasonable measure, while others believe that applicants should have to demonstrate various skills before they can advance to the next rating, license, certificate, etc.
The real question is how much you learned during the last year. A junior jumper with 300 coached skydives is light years ahead of a sky-god who has bored 3000 holes in the sky.
eames also raised another concept that I first heard from Jim Slaton. Jim said that he does not freefall during the last few weeks before a major canopy competition. A complex freefall requires so much brain-power that Jim does not have enough brain cells left to extract the maximum performance from his canopy. Instead, Jim does dozens of hop-and-pops to focus on fine-tuning his canopy-flying skills.

Diablo 150 at 1.6 -100 jumps
(Demo'd safire, stiletto, veng.)
Stiletto 150 at 1.6 -300 jumps
(Demo'd FX 115 velocity 111 stiletto 135 viper 135)
Bought a Xoas21 -125 sq feet at 2.0 -(kept the stiletto 150 for demos and night jumps.) I have 31 jumps on it and I love it.
533 total jumps

Xaos 98 @ 2.19 (mainstay) jump numbers 440 - 455 current
Cobalt 120 @ 1.79 (If I want to be a little more cautious than the Xaos) jump numbers 281 - 440
Hybrid Triathlon 160 @ 1.34 (CRW, night jumps, ooh shit that's tight jumps) jump numbers - 280
-Hixxx
"Sous ma tub, Dr. Suess ma tub" :S

Chuck, nice post. I have gotten away from keeping an eye on people since I don't instruct much these days and gave up the S & TA crap a long time ago.
VX-60 @ 3.1:1
Safire 189 @ 1:1 (1.1:1 if you use 174 sq ft)
2781 jumps 1300 of which are on either an FX-70 or the VX-60.
My VX is not an all-around canopy. It can swoop like nothing else, but isn't suited to anything else. Same as a lear jet is only good for A-B in a hurry (except for the guy that is going to roll as the gear comes up then perform a cuban 8 in a Lear at airshows this year) and not much else. My Safire is an all-around canopy. It can do anything, but nothing exceptionally well.
Hook

I did over 40+ clear and pulls on my Diablo110 at 1.7 before getting in the same air space with anyone. I learned alot about that canopy the first jump before even getting to the ground.
Semper Fi !!!!!
http://www.aahit.com

reading this forum since january i feel free to start with my first posting ...
just started in dec. with aff , and finished my german license :)22 jumps on a spark 230 (http://www.performance-variable.com started sales on the us-market this year)
2 jumps on a spark 190
16 jumps on a spark 170 which is my own main now and loaded at 1,27:1
had 600 paragliding-flights in the past and therefor some experience in flying "canopies", feel very comfy with the 170 now and i think it will be my size for the next min. 2 seasons
bsbd,
fonzi

life is to short for the pimp :)

Welcome Fonzi...
I jump a Spectre 170 at a wing loading of 1.4. This is my first canopy that I got off student status and I feel very comfortable with it. I have just over 100 jumps. I have begun the double risers to swoop and this weekend will be working on 90 degree front risers.