Jessica

Hornet label

Those of you with Hornets -- what kind of shape is the PISA label located on the center of the bottom skin in?

My rigger and I inspected the canopy I'm almost certainly going to buy today, and it looks good, except for that label. It's all rubbed off and I can barely read it. Are other Hornets or PISA canopies like this? Is there any issue other than the asthetic one?

This canopy reportedly has around 90 jumps on it.
Skydiving is for cool people only

That's doesn't sound right. I've got a Safire with probably 400 jumps on it and the label there is just fine, it's a little faded, but still easily readable. I can't imagine that PISA uses some radically different material for the label that degrades as much as you are suggesting after only 90 jumps. It just doesn't seem right... On the other hand, if your rigger agrees that the canopy is in good shape and worth the asking price, is there a problem?

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

My Cobalt label started flaking bad at under 150 jumps. I've seen a hornet with under 100 jump with only about 20% of its label remaining. Some companies seem to use silkscreening that does'nt stick to the side panels like some other companies do.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Jessica, I currently have a Hornet 210 which I purchased new, the Hornet logo has almost completely rubbed off in about 200 jumps. I contacted PISA about this and they sent me a new logo patch to put on with their hopes that this one would last awhile longer. This is a problem with the way the logos were printed and in NO way is the canopy affected.
Now as to the hornet as a canopy I find it to be all around winner! I fly mine loaded at 1.26 and it is very responsive to all input from toggles, risers and body position. I can turn-n-burn and swoop it in or float along coming back from a long spot or when going for the peas. The really great part about this canopy was the price!!!

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

I'm seriously considering the purchase of a new Hornet as my beer canopy. I'm purchasing a container/reserve/cypres, so I need to sort it out the main shortly. I've been renting Spectres, and I really like them, but I think I'd rather have the glide of a 9-cell. Also, a new Hornet would cost less than a used Spectre. I've been trying to find a used Hornet 170, to no avail. Actually, there doesn't seem to be much of anything used in 170 size. I also really like the idea of color coded line attachment points.

Is there any way to demo a Hornet? I'd like to be able to try before I buy.

Also, I really, really want a soft-opening canopy. I got whacked by a Sabre 2 two months ago, and I still feel it. I've heard that the Hornet can be brisk. How can this be controlled? Will going up a size in sliders slow down the opening?

Anything else I should know about the canopy? Where did you get yours and how much did it cost? Thanks!

The hornet can be brisk at times. I found that if you do not roll the nose, just jently push it back and make sure that your slider is right up you should not have any problems. It's a great canopy.

Blue skies
" You have never lived until you've almost died, and for those who has experienced it, life has a flavour the protected would never understand"

I'm seriously considering the purchase of a new Hornet as my beer canopy. I'm purchasing a container/reserve/cypres, so I need to sort it out the main shortly. I've been renting Spectres, and I really like them, but I think I'd rather have the glide of a 9-cell.

I've heard that a Spectre has at least as much glide as a Sabre. I've made it back from a couple of pretty long spots with mine.

Also, a new Hornet would cost less than a used Spectre. I've been trying to find a used Hornet 170, to no avail. Actually, there doesn't seem to be much of anything used in 170 size. I also really like the idea of color coded line attachment points.

Make sure you check the classifieds here and at Enclave. You could also post want ads. Ask the dealer at your DZ to keep their eyes open for what you want as well. I looked for more than a month to find a 170. I ended up getting lucky and finding a 300 jump Spectre for $800 in the DZ.com classifieds. The best I could do on a new Hornet (I couldn't find any used, in any size) was just under $1000 for stock colors.

A little hint, but you can buy some Sharpie markers and color the lines yourself. I did it to my Spectre and it really did speed up packing.

The best I could do on a new Hornet (I couldn't find any used, in any size) was just under $1000 for stock colors.

A new custom Hornet bought stateside (instead of direct from South Africa) will run just over $800.
Skydiving is for cool people only

I thought I said "do not roll the nose"B| The labels do suck and wear out to soon. Then I do not jump it for the label.

Blue Skies

" You have never lived until you've almost died, and for those who has experienced it, life has a flavour the protected would never understand"

Scoby, if you shop around you should be able to come up with some very good deals on the Hornet, I've heard of them from $600+ to $800+. I paid about $750 for mine. I've heard that if you buy it out of S. africa and the $ exchange rate is favorable that you can get them in the $600 range. You might have to do some hunting for a demo in the US or just call/email PISA to see if they'll send you one.
Yes the openings on the Hornet can be brisk, particularly when brand new. But various packing techniques can control that, I personally like the psycho pack or rolling the nose and a slight tuck works well. The sliders on the Hornet are large to start with so I never thought about a larger one.
There is alot of talk here about the Hornet,do a search and you'll find more info.
You cannot beat this canopy for the price, better IMO than the Sabre and on par with the Sabre2. The Hornet RRROOOCKS!

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

Im not sure what PISA logo do you mean, but my hornet -logo is in VERY good shape. The warning-label is not that clear anymore though...

It has 250 jumps

See pic:
http://www.netti.fi/~tlu/kuvat/image-006.html

Thats what my canopy looks after 250 jumps (In this pic the canpy is above the previous owner, but it looks still exactly the same)

Ok your logo is a lot different than the one I think she's refering to. I have a Hornet as well and it has a logo right up close to the nose on the center cell. This logo is showing signs of fading and what not but the canopy looks and feels like it has 20 jumps even though its more like 200.B|

J
YSD#0009