Jessica

Hornet label

"Scoby, if you shop around you should be able to come up with some very good deals on the Hornet, I've heard of them from $600+ to $800+. I paid about $750 for mine. I've heard that if you buy it out of S. africa and the $ exchange rate is favorable that you can get them in the $600 range. You might have to do some hunting for a demo in the US or just call/email PISA to see if they'll send you one.

Yup, I ordered mine custom from a company called Icarus Skydiving in South Africa for $650. I also bought 2 tempo reserves for $800 (that's $400 each ;)). There's definately something to be said for exchange rates! ;)

Blues!

Merrick

Yup, I ordered mine custom from a company called Icarus Skydiving in South Africa for $650. I also bought 2 tempo reserves for $800 (that's $400 each ;)). There's definately something to be said for exchange rates! ;)

They quoted $750 for a 170, but I think the dollar has weakened against the rand. I'm somewhat inclined to just buy it from Rigs and Things, though, just because the idea of international bank transfers seems a little scary to me. If I don't find something suitable used in the next couple of days, I'm going to order one.

Hi SkydiveMonkey - I also fly a Hornet, and your comment about having the slider out interests me - can you explain exactly what you mean? I run the slider up to the attachment points - at least the A&B lines, then split the slider in half pushing the right & left ends into the #2 stablizers - this leaves still a little slider material in the back and front, I then fold the stablizers over the remianing slider material towards the front after I push the nose up into the center, just before I bring the tail around to wrap it up. I have also been getting nice snivel opening lasting 700 to 1,000 ft.
Thanks - David
phat, dumb & happy

Aren't the Hornet and Sabre2 similar canopies as far as flight characteristics. It may be an obvious question but I'm new on the block so I'm asking lots of questions. I'm also looking for a canopy myself. Why is the Hornet so much cheaper than the Sabre2. I've jumped a Sabre2 but never a Hornet so I know only what I've read. Why the difference?

--
A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions. -Oliver Wendel Holmes

They quoted $750 for a 170, but I think the dollar has weakened against the rand. I'm somewhat inclined to just buy it from Rigs and Things, though, just because the idea of international bank transfers seems a little scary to me. If I don't find something suitable used in the next couple of days, I'm going to order one.

The price has gone up considerably. A year ago, I bought a Hornet from Manny in S.A. for around $500. I just sent him my credit card number, told him the colors, and I had it a month later. Even $750. would be a bargain. Steve1

Dunno, they've probably changed the way they print that label, since I have seen several DOM 00 Hornets with more than 400 jumps with all the labels still being just like brand new.

Then I have also seen few DOM 02 Hornets with around 200 jumps and the Hornet label rubbed almost completely off.