dbattman

OK Freaks- how did you pick out your rig?

I'm starting to look at my next rig. I currently jump a 1995 Talon with a BOC cover-flap (mine is the only one I've ever seen) and a Falcon 195. I want a true freefly rig since I've gotten mixed opinions on mine as I travel from DZ to DZ.

So, looking around there's Voodoo, Wings, Odyssey, Mirage G3/G4, etc etc. Where the heck do I even start to compare, or are the differences relatively minor?

If it has good riser protection, good flaps and good bridle protection thats all that matters. The rest is just for looks basically (Unless your the rigger packing it).

I personally like Wings and Vector 3's. Mirage, Sunpath, RI, Velocity, etc are at the same level if not higher. Any truely modern rig is Freefly safe. Even Racers have made strides to get up to date recently.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

hmm i'm buying or should i say making money for my new rig.
I thing differences are big, especially when it comes to paying ;)
my way of choosing my gear was...
it has to be the safest and the best on the market no mater the cost... i started looking and came to javelin odyseey, mirage g4, vector 3, wings, and voodoo 2. second request was comfort. And list got smaller odyseey and mirage g4 (but that's just a personal opinion). then how the rig looks (personal again). and i came to Mirage G4. And the last to consider, but quite important, was what other people think about that rig.
But than again you have to have enough money to buy a brand new custom made with everything that is possible mirage g4, and still have enough money for jumps. Or you can just fall in love with the container, like me :P

"George just lucky i guess!"

Yeag George, your definetely have the coolest rig in Slovenia (that is, if you'll actually going to buy the custom made mirage g4)!!!

As it was said before, the most important thing to consider when buying a rig is, is it safe, have any weird mailfunctions occured on them, do flaps stay closed or not, and does it fit you (that comes into consideration only when you're buying a used rig).

I for instance bought a used Atom ('94), with an Ace 100 ('98) and a Tempo 120 ('99) mainly because of the need for a freefly friendly rig, and it also fitted me perfectly. Needles to say I LOVE IT!!!!!!!

Check out the site of the Fallen Angels FreeflY Organisation:
http://www.padliangeli.org

Most of this is personal taste. I choose the VooDoo for it's looks, comfort and Mr. Reid's impeccable service and knowledge. He is damn proud of that rig and stands behind it.
I'm currently looking to get a second rig and I'd feel guilty if it wasn't anothe VooDoo. Although I have to say the Mirage is up there as a contender.

JJ
JJ

"Call me Darth Balls"

Dude, nowadays they are all the same when it comes to protection. I jump a dolphin and I took the sucker in any position imaginable. Yes, a dolphin! So it all comes down to looks and feel. My next one is going to be a Wings because the price is right, they are good looking, and the container will perfectly fit my canopies. I personally like the Javelin, Wings, and Vodoo. Don't care for the looks of the G3/4, infinity, and vectors. I like to see the roundy reserve cover.
Memento Audere Semper

2001. No mods needed. Everything stays in place. It's a D1 with a 135 main and a 150 reserve. It's a really nice system regardless the apparence! Oh I forgot, to be super safe when packing the reserve it's better to close the bottom flap 3rd insted of 1st, that's all!
Memento Audere Semper

The containers you are considering are all going to be safe.

I think a very important consideration is service after the sale. Not all companies are the same.

If I were buying a container right now, I would think seriously about a Wings, mostly because of their costumer service.

Ask around and you will hear horror stories about the service provided by some of the container manufacturers.

Anne

~Anne

I'm a Doll!!!!

Seconded, All Rigs (except Dolphins and Racers IMO) look good when you have a tiny one, but not all look good on the larger models Main/Reserve 170ish. A javelin seems to really hold up well. The Odysey is really nice. Very comfortable, its the most popular rig you will see out there, specially on teams (not really sure why that is...must just be the quality). I like my Cutbacks, I like the fact that it is not blocky like a Mirage, although the G4 made strides, its still more blockly than a Javelin. My Jav RS is very rounded so nothing catches on deployment. Great rig, good reserve deployments 1 terminal 2 sub terminals. Flaps never come open, All in all a great rig.

Jonathan

>not really sure why that is...must just be the quality

It could be more the team discount and the close ties to the canopy factories demo teams. Some compaines have been known in the past to give a rig to a team for free/discount if they buy 4 matching ones at full price. Some companies also offer staff discounts for DZ so they can have all matching staff rigs.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Have you considered the new TALON 3 FS ? It has to be one of the best rigs i have seen. Parachutes Australia were making the TALON 3 and the VOODOO but then discontinued the VOODOO when the FS came out. One thing i have noticed about the Voodoo is it doesn't take different size canopys as well as other rigs. Small canopys leave the container bunched up in places although it is still a great rig.