ColdDuck

Javelin owners

Hey there for all you out there who jump a newer Javelin or an Odyssey do you have any complaints on them in any way. At my DZ no one jumps them, its nothing but Mirages around here so it looks like Sunpath is willing to hook a brother up with a new Odyssey for an amazing price that I cannot pass up. So I just want to know what you think of them. I have tried one on and I love the ring harness

Thanks

"Insurance should called In case shit happens, if shit don't happen shouldn't I get my money back?"

The only time that I've have a main flap come open on a Jav was during my student training on a rig I swear the DOM was back in '94. My Odyssey (at least no one has mentioned it on the ground) hasn't had this happen, so I am guessing so long as the tuck tab stiffener is in good shape (I can stick two fingers under each side of the main flap and lift the rig up by them without the flap slipping), there shouldn't be a problem - that being said, I do like the pin protection better on the Mirage, though I have no real complaints about the pin protection on the Oddyssey.

i coouldn't be happier with my odyssey. as for the main flap - never had problem.
one thing though - you should have canopies of the size recommended for your
container. not bigger not smaller. i used to have sabre-170 in j1 and it looked
a little bulky. when i switched to safire2-149, rig looked much better, all the flaps
now are flat, gromets are on each other and main flap is very secure.

here it is in attachment :)

stan.

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

NewGear02.jpg

I have had my odyssey for a yaer now and it is bullet proof. I have seen both mirages and vectors main flaps come open in freefall so no one is immune. If you pack your rig properly the javelin will not come open. I can pick up my rig ny the main flap and it stays closed. And its comfortable as hell. Get one.

I have owned three Javelins, four Vectors, and several "other" containers. My current two containers are both Javs. One Odyssey and one 1998 XRS. Neither of the two have ever had flaps come open, but I have seen some larger ones that have that problem. What that stems from in all of those cases was a too-loose main container. The smaller ones, especially in the last several years, are very tidy packages when you have them set up with correct size main and reserve canopies for that size.

As for dropzone preferences, that is just how it goes. Raeford used to be nearly completely Jav/Stilleto, now there is a great variety of gear on the DZ. It just takes a couple of people jumping other gear to get people thinking differently. Nowadays, there is absolutely not a "best" anything.

Chuck

Have you looked at the infinity? its cheaper and from what I heard its very freefly friendly, and comes freefly from the factory. Ask Lisa.

I'm currently in the market for a new rig and the Infinity is it. I've done a bit of research and decided that the Infinity has everything I'm looking for at a _great_ price and pretty quick delivery time. Mine will be ordered as soon as I decide what I'm going to stick in there for a main. Definitely give them a look.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

On the Javelin, as long as the tab is stiff and your closing loop is at the proper length and you stow your bridle in the pouch... ain't nothin comin out of that rig.. unless maybe you disco dance in the plane and like to bang your rig against the walls......

Sorry Chris.... At Summerfest last year after having the rig fixed by sunpath and confirming that my loop was the right size and right canopy and every thing.... I still had it pop out in a stand and it get pointed out to me. My Jav is a year 2000 so its got the bridle pocket and all the bells and whistles... but even today every 20 or so jumps It will pop out with no rhyme or reason. I reset it in the plane before exit and she still goes flap flap flap sometimes.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

My current two containers are both Javs. One Odyssey and one 1998 XRS. Neither of the two have ever had flaps come open, but I have seen some larger ones that have that problem. What that stems from in all of those cases was a too-loose main container. The smaller ones, especially in the last several years, are very tidy packages when you have them set up with correct size main and reserve canopies for that size.

Agree. I had a 150 Stilleto in mine and always had a problem keeping it closed. Went to a 135, problem went away. Don't downsize, rightsize.;)
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

I'll try that, but thats normally where I tuck the bridle so I'll have to figure something out to deal with the bridle. How where do you store the bridle on the routing to the pin?

I did that on my old Jav, it seemed to help a little (main reason I bought a Mirage) I can show you what I did this weekend.
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

I'll try that, but thats normally where I tuck the bridle so I'll have to figure something out to deal with the bridle. How where do you store the bridle on the routing to the pin

The recomended method is to put the tuckflap in the bottom, and the bridle inbetween left and right. The logic is that an opening tuck flap won't drag out the bridle.

I've never had any flaps in my 99 jav open. Like somebody else posted here, I can lift my jav by the tuck flap. I've also downsized to a 150 stileto from a 190 triathlon in the same rig, so it wasn't necesarily canopy size that did it.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I'm jumping a '97 J1. It's been modified for a board and also has a laminate plate and rig-mounted altimeter on the right-side harness strap.

Is the tab really short when it's placed under the flaps? Wonder what could be catching air and causing the cover to come off. Any possibility that something is "pushing" the tab out... like a kink in fabric under the tab? Is it smooth down there? No air pockets?

I did see a new Odyssey last weekend that had a length problem on the reserve cover... it would close very loosely because it was too short and would flap in freefall. The jumper who owns it will probably return it to SunPath to get it fixed or have a rigger check it out.

The only thing that i don't like is that the risers do not come with toggle keepers that cover the ends of the toggles. Even on the newests Odysseys the toggles "poke" through. This is a problem if you plan on using soft links and have a toggle fire. If you ask for the mod, however, they will make them fully covered for you. I don't expect to see them standard for another 6 months or so.
-Rap