kopelen

Mirage vs Javelin

I'm wrestling with this question as I type this. I really need a new container. I can get a really good deal on a Javellin but I like the Mirage better. The only real difference I can see is that the pin protection is a little better on the Mirage. Other than that I think it just comes down to the price. Some riggers may have stronger opinions.

I guess it depends on what your after. The Sunpath Javelin is a very popular container. Many jumpers are very happy with them. The Javelin has been described as the Chevy of skydiving.

The Mirage G3 is more refined and has several features that are not available on the Javelin. Mirage Systems has a faster delivery time 2-6 weeks for a custom container. They are also offering an additional 10% manufacturers discount off stock containers.

I suggest looking at previous threads and reading both reviews in the Dropzone gear section. Also contact the manufacturers and ask questions.;)

If you are a freeflyer, or a belly flyer that wants to do an ocassional freefly in between RW, then you want a MIRAGE. There is nothing worse than seeing a Jav pin cover flapping in the wind when someone is sit flying. They don't call them "Unravellin' Javelin" for nothing.....I've bought 3 Mirage containers in the last 2 years, I'm not sponsored by them, I just love the fit, and more importantly the customer service that Bill Hallett and the rest of the staff at Mirage offers. I have never dealt with javelin, os I don't know there customer support, but Bill at Mirage overnighted my rig at their expense so I wouldn't miss Quincy 2001 when I had to send it back for an alteration. As a footnote to the quality of their work, I saw TJ's Mirage last week, (it's the Orange/Yellow tye die one on the Mirage website), it had 800+ jumps on it and it looked brand new, the riser covers were all firm and the container looked to be in great shape. Okay, I only have 505 jump, 484 of which are on my Mirages. 20 jumps on student gear, and the rest, except for one borrowed jav jump a few back, have all been on Mirages, no complaints. They are the most comfortable, ergonomic container out there today. Not saying Javs aren't a good container too, just that in my opinion, Mirage is the best. Plus Mirage has the fastest opening reserve on the market. The reserve pilot chute fires off the back at 23 mph, the fastest of all reserves I believe. Hope this helps! Blue Skies

--
My other ride is a RESERVE.

I have owned a lot of different containers over the years (racer, infinity, talon, and now a javelin) and I like the javelin the best. I think once you get past the 1999 model year then the 'unravelin javelin' no longer applies, the main pin protection is great. I have jumped a friends mirage a bunch of times but it doesn't fit me right so it wasn't very comfy. I think it really is a toss up. I agree that the pin protection looks better on a mirage and I do like the lines of it better. People who own mirage containers rave about them.

Really it comes down to price and fit. I got mine with very few jumps with a PD reserve for about 1800 and it fits perfect so I am happy as a clam. Actually two clams and a mussel to be precise but whose counting. Other than me?
Drewfus McDoofus

imho, of course.... Neither. I'd buy an Infinity. Kick ass riser coverage and flap security, looks good, excellent price, excellent customer service, top notch quality control, fast delivery. The Wings is another one I'd strongly consider, for most of the same reasons.

Not dissing the Mirage, the Javelin/Javelin Odyssey or any other container... Just that personally I'd rather drive a Chevy than a Cadillac.

i have 3 javelins, an older tjn and newer nj and rs.

i have never had any problems with the riser covers on the newer ones. once i broke in my rs i was in love (the yoke was initially a bit stiff) .

i do also like mirages, a little blocky for me but very nice just the same in design and construction... but i have to say my next rig will probably be a rws. i was initially put off by their asthetics, but the more i found out about their design and construction the more i began to favor them (and i think their newer designs look great).

sincerely,

dan
atair
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)

when I was looking for a potenial team rig, I had a long list of what I consider to be the "little things", of course being fairly detailed oriented helps. But everything lead to two different containers, I chose the Mirage because, in the end, their delivery times were the best. So, our team rigs became Mirage, and we couldn't be happier (800 or so jumps later on them).

Have you looked at the wings container by sunriserigging (www.para-service.com)? They are wonderful containers. Very freefly friendly, comfortable w/ out the hefty price tag. Just my 2 cents. I almost ordered a Mirage (& still love their product), but I ended up w/ a wings and have no regrets...and I had about 700 extra dollars (which went to the DZ account anyway!). Then again, if you have the extra money for the mirage...by all means, it's a solid container. I know people that freefly javelins w/ no problems...but I've also seen 2 people w/ a premature deployment during a sit. Just my 2 cents...keep in mind I'm still a baby to the sport.
I'm a Pschydiver!
Majdi E.

I have both rigs and perfer the G3 Mirage. Both are quality made but I like the design on the G3 for freeflying. Sizing for my canopies with the Mirage worked out better. I have had no problems at all with service from Mirage. Now the Unisys is a bit of a dissapointment because its hard to transfer hip movment to the canopy. Yea..Mirage G# is my choice over the two.
"Slow down! You are too young
to be moving that fast!"

Old Man Crawfish

Been jumping a Mirage for about thre years now and before that a Javelin. I has since transitioned to the new Voodoo container. Initially they had a couple of flaws just like everyone else does but since then have fixed them. Not only did I find the Voodoo to be a very tight, clean rig for freeflying but it is very comfortable as well. When I made the decision to go to Voodoo both Rose and Sandy have been extremely helpful and have gone out of their way to help. For the entire time I jumped mirage and have been promoting them on my dz I never had an issue until I went to the factory for help. Not sure why but I could never get my phone calls returned and when they finally got returned there were broken promises made.
You will get many different opinions and they are both great containers but mine boiled down to customer service. The customer is always right. If its wrong make it right.

Its all personal preference.
Good Luck,
Bryan

I am a freesylist.....I roll,tuck.layout,spin,twist sit,stand, belly,headdown kind gal.
I jump a Mirage G3. All tucked in nice and neat. I made mention of a fit issue I was having here on DZ.Com and received an email that very evening. Not a single complaint here. (They are rather expensive) but hey I like my Cadillac!

Well, I currently own two Javs (a 98 XRS and a 2001 Odyssey RS) and love them both. If it were not for the cut-ins on the Odyssey, I would have bought another Vector (I had owned five previously). I like Microns, but they are just a bit stiff for my liking.

It's totally personal preference nowadays. I don't believe that any one rig is "better" than another, so it all comes down to aesthetics. Personally, I don't like the "blocky" look of the Mirage, but I know it is a fine rig.

As for Javellin pin flaps coming open, that doesn't ever happen to me on my Odyssey. Actually, it has never happened on my older XRS either, but I have seen others with older javs a flappin.

Chuck