hobbes4star

best elliptical

That's like asking "what's the best vehicle?"
Is your criteria distance in the swoop? On heading opening? Soft openings? Straight in landings? Do you want light front riser pressure or toggle pressure? How about stability in turbulence? Glide? Performance at very high wing loadings? Stability while brakes are stowed? Likelihood of spinning mal? Ability to land in rear risers? Ease of packing? Low pack volume?
There are a great many designs out there. I have a Safire, which is a moderately elliptical canopy that seems to do most things well, while not excelling at any one. Since that fits with what I want my canopy to do, I like it. If long swoops were my thing I wouldn't like it, since I have to work to get distance out of it.
-bill von

Well out of all the ones I've jumped (crossfire 1, cobalt, stiletto, crossfire 2) I like the crossfire 2 the best. TONS of flare, quick turns, light front riser preasure, easy to harness stear, it was more twitchy than the crossfire 1 but compared to the other canopies was not twitchy at all, basically it's very responsive with great slow flight characteristics.

ok to broad lets say the best high performace canopy. i am just looking for opinions. what do you think is the best high performance fully eliptical canopy???

That's essentially the same question you asked at the beginning of this thread. It's completely a matter of personal preference. If you ask a question like "Which fully elliptical has the (fastest turn|steepest dive|longest recovery arc|lightest riser pressure|best glide|most lift)" you'll get some answers.
It all depends on what your definition of high-performance is.
-
Jim

Bill already stole my "That is like asking, "What is the best vehicle?"" analogy. But since you narrowed the question a bit, I’ve never seen a canopy out perform the VX. It is an impressive wing. I do hope that something will come along that out-performs the VX…..soon. I think I can downsize once more before having to admit I’m not getting any younger.
Hook

Still need more info.... what is its purpose? If I was jumping a board, I'd want something stable, same with a wing suit. If I was only swooping, I'd get one designed for speed. If I wanted one for everyday use I'd get a toned down one that could save my ass on an off DZ landing.
As far as high proformance, everyone has a different take on proformace, one person might judge it by turn rate, another by dive, another by forward speed. And loading factors in too. Lad a Sabre at 2.0:1 and it is higher proformance then a Stiletto loaded at .8:1
I personally like a lot of canopies, each has the thing they are good at and something they are not good at. Sabre2 is up there in my book, so is the Cobalt, Stiletto hold its ground, the Vengence and Samarui look good too... Each has its niche and what its good at, find the one that matches your requirements... not whats the most bad ass thing being made....
If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will....

Actually Phree makes a very good point, wingloading makes a huge difference on how a wing flies. Like my old crossfire at 1:1 was fairly docile compared to the same canopy loaded at like 2:1. So you might like a canopy at one WL and not like it at another, an example would be of someone jumping a crossfire at 1.5:1 then going 2:1 not liking it so going to an FX at 2:1 which they like again.

I have a 98 sq ft. Xaos I load at about 2.15 that I just love. It has great openings, more consistent than even my cobalt 120. The front and rear riser pressure is light. I can hang on the rears to get back from a long spot and I always steer with the fronts. It surfs nice and I can shut it down in any condition. My only reservation with the canopy is I wish I bought a smaller one...
-Hixxx

If you like the Xaos you should try the crossfire2.. :)I sent my ned Xaos98 back.. Got a crossfire2 97.. The crossfire KIIIILLLLLSSSSS the Xaos...
Icarus hit a homer with this one.... You should try the crossfire2.. I would bet 20 bucks you will want to switch..
Blue Skies ..... ;)

Rating from 1 - 10 in performance....
Bottom end lift-
Xaos-10
Crossfire with MOD- 9
Crossfire2- 10
Diablo- 6
Turn rate-
Xaos- 6
crossfire w/mod- 6.5
Crossfire2- 10
Diablo- 8.5
Dive and front riser pressure-
Xaos- 8
Crossfire w/mod- 5
Crossfire2- 10
Diablo- 7
Actual toggle pressure, Turning the corner-
Xaos- 6
Crossfire w/mod- 7
Crossfire2- 10
Diablo- 9
Flight in chop-
Xaos- 5
Crossfire w/mod- 6
Crossfire2- 9
Diablo- 10
I looked very hard to find a canopy that would respond instantly to input like the Diablo only having more bottom end. I purchased a new Xaos98 and jumped it a couple of times. It wasn't for me. I'm sure it is a great canopy just doesn't have the flight response that I like. Then I jumped the crossfire that was on the mod list. I was HIGHLY impressed with the response, glide and bottom end lift. Then I got my hands on my new crossfire2, 97.. It has an EASY 30% performance increase over the crossfire1 on the mod list that I was flying.. It turns faster that I thought a canopy could turn, front riser pressure is very light, it is very solid even in wind, I'm amazed at how much I could flatten it out in glide, I was on a jump Sunday where we had TONS of wind drift. I am one of the only people that made it back with altitude to spare.
And if someone jumped a Xaos at 1.85 liking it more than the crossfire2 at 1.85 I am curious as to what flight aspects you like? The crossfire just outperformed the Xaos? Get above 2.2 and it might be a different story..
I am just excited as hell to have found a canopy that does so many things so well..
Rhino
Blue Skies ..... ;)

I’ve never seen a canopy out perform the VX

Hmmm... I've seen a Velocity out perform a VX... by about 70 ft! At a wing loading of ~2.1.
Let me know how that 4.0 wing loading works out for you! I know you do it for the fun, but you should come out and get your performance measured on a course... it's quite an eye opener and really helps hone skills.
Jason

Flight in chop-
Xaos- 5
Crossfire w/mod- 6
Crossfire2- 9
Diablo- 10
I would have thought that any x- braced canopy would out perform all nonbraced canopy in choppy air.
First of all I really like your personal canopy comparison And I would like to see more of this from others. I do take into account they are personal "impressions" but important to me nun the less.

"Hmmm... I've seen a Velocity out perform a VX... by about 70 ft! At a wing loading of ~2.1. "
I would bet you witnessed a better Velocity canopy pilot, or at least having a better day then the VX pilot.
Chuck Yeager has the opinion that the pilot matters more than the airplane. One day someone dis-agreed w/ him. So they took up two different aircraft, one known to have better performance than the other and had a mock dogfight. Chuck won. Then they switch aircraft and did it again. Chuck won again.
I stand by my statement that I haven't seen any canopy out-perform a VX.
Hook

The xaos was so squirly in rough air I sent it back after 2 jumps. Some people swear by them. I didn't feel comfortable under that Xaos. It felt like it didn't want to stay directly over my head. It felt incredibly unstable compared to the crossfire2.
The crossfire2 feels like it is on rails.. very solid, rigid, smooth.. I didn't feel that under the xaos? Maybe 1.85 isn't enough of a load on that thing..
We are talking high performance here.. If I were asked what is the best canopy overall I have ever seen in chop, turbulence, bumpy air I would say the Triathlon. But that's at a lower wing loading.. Different class of canopy.
Rhino
Blue Skies ..... ;)