GroundZero

parachute rigging question/prizes awarded!

I think Bill got it. Analogous to a sleeve retention line, "bag retention line", to jump reserve without bridle attachment and not have to chase bag. For those of us without unlimited resources. ;)
Looking again I'm not sure. An awful lot of line. Line over simulator? Tied to slider through mouth of bag and bridle grommet?

But, thats not a reserve bridle.
I said in the other forum a bit ago that I think its a system to pull the PC/bridle/d-bag down, out of the way or something, sort of like the retractbles for CReW, but different, for swoopers.
A human cannonball, I rise above it all
Up higher then a trapeze, I can fly

Because most reserves don't have d-bag attachment points.
- Dan G

As it is a reserve (raven-max maybe?) that probably doesn't have a bridle attachment point and it looks like the line is stowed with the other lines, I think it is a way to deploy a reserve and not lose the D-bag. Looks like one end is tied to the link inside the d-bag that is part of a kill line pilot chute and the other end of the line is probably attached to a link on the risers. The line probably comes out of the rubber band on opening and the bag and pilot chute trail behind the jumper on a long line until it is pulled in by the pilot. A free-bag system without losing the free-bag.
Hook

are we *positive* that this is a reserve? remember we are looking at two items:
1. THE CANOPY. the super clean white lines would make me think reserve, but who knows it could be a main too. canopy appears to be solid yellow from what you can see, but you never know for sure.
2. THE D-BAG. this does not look like a reserve d-bag to me, but if it is whoops, o well i have only played with more modern container/reserve systems. this d-bag does not look in nearly of good shape as the canopy, has nasty rubber bands instead of bungee lockstows, and is missing the pouch for freestowing. oh and it is a boring rectangular shape instead of the often used "molar" shape of a reserve d-bag. it has also been mentioned that this is not a reserve bridle attached to the bag.
my following guess is going to assume this is a main. lets say that one end of this line is attached to the d-bag, and the other goes to the canopy. what might this do? hell if i know.
how about this...the line goes from the d-bag to your main riser french link. under an open main, this line would trail behind your line groups (much looser than a brake line) between your d-bag and risers. perhaps this could be used to raise a flag up behind your canopy? a system to have a camera hoisted up the line to take pictures? some sort of new crew innovation? a main d-bag release system?
chris, are we going to have to keep guessing until someone gets this right?

we have winners!!!
they are:
Bill Von
Bill Booth
Phreezone
Hooknswoop
The mod is called (named after its designer) a BiZarre bag. (Brian Shaw or as you may know him, Beezy)... test jumping reserve canopies without bridle attachments usually means direct bag static lining or freebagging. Since we can't spot very well we usually lose freebags. Static lining means subterminal deployments. We need to go to terminal and we want to keep our bag... ala, the BiZarre bag...
The pilot chute and bag are tied to a rear riser link. Be sure to keep the line outside of the slider and allow a few extra feet. You need to use very strong line. Snatch force will exceed 300, 525 and even 725 lb. spectra. A collapsible pilot chute is prefered...
We stow the line with the suspension lines, then stow the slack in the rubber band on the bridle. Works pretty well for us but don't try this at home (usual disclaimer here).
Winners have been notified by PM and will receive a $100 merchandise credit certificate...
Congrats all...
We'll do it again soon
Chris
Precision Aerodynamics, Inc.
423-949-4688
[email protected]