amars

watch recommendations...

My ever so handy G-Shock watch of 6+ yrs has finally crapped out on me (and it's not just the battery). Anyone have a suggestion for a watch that could come in handy while skydiving, possibly one with an altimeter on it, but is still useable for more terrestrial activities?

Yeah...I have a ski/hiking watch from Avocet that does alti/barometer/temp/etc. It changes pretty damn slow though. Also, it is not AGL altitudes. It is set-up to show the altitude above sea-level. If I were you, I would just buy another good G-shock, but something that isn't real big. You don't want it to get in the way of your altimeter, you dont want to hit someone with it, and you certainly don't want something else happening to it or yourself.
But think about it, do you really need a watch at the DZ? Hell you go there and you stop jumping when the sun goes down (most of the time). Then, you just put your Rolex back on.
Good luck! (I need a new watch for play as well. My Avocet's battery died and I think it's too big.)
JumpinDuo.com...come and sign the guestbook.

Finnish company, Suunto, makes high-quality "wristcomputers", designed for mountaineering etc. They are equipped with altimeters, barometers etc... A couple friends of mine have them at our dropzone and have also used them in skydiving. Don't think it's capable to work as a altimeter in freefall but it sure is a funny gadget to check in plane while climbing to altitude. Check them out:
http://www.suunto.com/pls/demogw/suunto.pubmainpage.frameset?in_direction=SEARCH -> wristop computers

Finnish company, Suunto, makes high-quality "wristcomputers", designed for mountaineering etc. They are equipped with altimeters, barometers etc... A couple friends of mine have them at our dropzone and have also used them in skydiving. Don't think it's capable to work as a altimeter in freefall but it sure is a funny gadget to check in plane while climbing to altitude. Check them out:

I can think of three tandem in structors at my DZ who use these as their primary altimeter.
_Am

I quit wearing watches (except when I dive). It's amazing how many alternative sources of time are around when you stop to look.

I lost my watch on a jump at Quincy last year. I sitll haven't bothered to replace it. I've gotten along just fine without one.
I might buy one of these Suunto watches when I get money, just because they're too cool.
_Am

I quit wearing watches (except when I dive). It's amazing how many alternative sources of time are around when you stop to look.

Except for a brief preiod, I've never worn a watch. Never had a problem figuring out what time it is.
Plus, you get too wrapped up with what time it is and where you "should" be and you miss all the scenery. ;)
"Zero Tolerance: the politically correct term for zero thought, zero common sense."

I have a G-shock (2nd one I've owned, actually) and I love it. They are honk'n big, but I still like them. I used to jump with it, I would turn it upside down (bottom of wrist) when I jumped (I'm a geek with a time thing, I have to know what time it is and I liked timing how long it took to get to altitude), but I don't anymore. It came off, or mostly off actually, in freefall once. Its one with the dual band, a plastic snap and velcro, well the snap came undone and the velcro was coming undone when I noticed it. Grabbed it just as it started to leave my wrist, and put it in my mouth. Ruined that part of the skydive for the other 2 people with me, but hey that watch cost like $100...:)Short story: Get a G-shock, they rock.
The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Ended up ordering another G-Shock.
I saw a couple of those Suunto watches at REI, very tempting, but i dont' have $250 to spend on a watch. The $60 i just paid is a bit of a stretch for me (i paid $30 for my first one). I'd do without a watch, but the past few days has shown it would be hard, with my completely random schedule for classes i'm lost. And as i've learned, it's hard to take a test when you don't know how much time you have left.
Thanks for the advice.

I tried one of those on the last time I was looking for a watch. They're freakin' gigantic, and heavy too. I'm wearing a G-Shock right now, and that thing was probably almost twice as big and maybe 50% thicker. I don't see how anybody could be comfortable wearing it for more than a few minutes.
--
Brian
Homepage

. I don't see how anybody could be comfortable wearing it for more than a few minutes.
--------------------------
I have had mine for years.... and only take it off to jump. Almost never take it off... before skydiving I used to wear it for months at a time... taking it off only to scrub the soap scum out from the underside ;).
Anyone remember the predecessor to this... the X Shock? Those were even better, and if you could break it other than by impacting the crystal, they would replace it for FREE!... they even suggested taping it to a parking lot and having semis driving over them. Was rated to 500M as I remember.
Mine broke and sure enough, they shipped me a new one! Then it took a hit to the crystal, and I had to buy a new one... by then the x-es werent being made anymore. Have had this one ever since.
Odd that this thread started... had to take my dress watch (analog chronograph) in for service... thats gonna cost me I think uugh.... I'd buy a new one, but the E6B bezel is one I havent found on any other dress watch.

Anyone remember the predecessor to this... the X Shock?

Can't say I remember that.....but one of the guys I dive with had a G Shock that was supposedly water resistant to 200M......well, on Thursday the thing imploded at 150ft.. DOH!

Odd that this thread started... had to take my dress watch (analog chronograph) in for service... thats gonna cost me I think uugh.... I'd buy a new one, but the E6B bezel is one I havent found on any other dress watch.

Do you actually use the bezel? I have had a watch with one since my parents bought it for me for XMas about 7 years ago, and I don't think I've actually used the bezel at all..
Mike