rendezvous

Full Face Helmet and Freefly

I consider myself a strict freeflyer, only belly to earth to do coach jumps and pull time. I own an Nvertigo, Aviator Hawkeye for camera, protec, gath, and a factory diver w/o faceshield. I find myself flying my Factory Dive most of the time I'm not filming, because of it's ease of use. Just put on your goggles and slip it on.
On the other hand I have seen people flying oxygin helmets that when they went to sit fly their visors tore away. Funny as it might sound, it could of been uglier.
that's my take on it.
Mckill
D-something or other

That is such a good question. Why do people take the visor off full face helmets then use goggles to freefly. Is it the cool thing to do? (all my friends do it, so I will too??)
I have a z1 sti with the button lock and wouldn't expect that thing to rip off. Would it?
mike
fly nylon

I ended up adopting that helmet as is with no visor. I did buy the visor though and really wasn't to happy with how the stars aligned and ended taking it off. I''ve probably done about 200+ freeflys with that particular helmet. As for being free i can't complain. The only drawback is there is only one audible pocket. Of all my helmet I have only ever bought one brand new, the others were all hand me downs. I can't speak for the Z1 as far as the shield flying off. That is a very nice helmet though and well constructed. But I did witness some faceshields tearing away during some sitfly jumps I was on only seen that on the Oxygen type models. They do not have the button lock yours does.
Mckill

I've done a few sits and head-downs with my Z-1 (with visor on) and haven't had a problem yet. With the button lock, it's hard to imagine how it could come open, which I think would have to happen before it could get ripped off. Maybe if you didn't fully latch it? I always tug on the top of the visor at least a couple of times as part of my pre-exit rain dance.
CorporateLawyerDave aka BadDog

I have a Z1 and have done about 60 freefly jumps with it. I have never had any problems in any positions with the visor coming open. My friend left the visor on his Z1 open by accident on one of our jumps, when we got down we found his visor was still attached and worked fine. I think Z1’s are a great helmet.
Kirk

If the full face is being worn to keep the noise out won't removing the visor defeat that purpose. What are the other reasons one would wan't to wear a full face besides reduced noise and wind off the face, as oppose to the non full face.

To avoid the ol broken face disease that is so in among the RW guys...
marc
I have no fear of falling but I hate hitting the ground -The Badlees

I wear a Oxygn to Freefly in. My tightening strap has a small snap placed on it so it does not come undone while in freefall. I like it cause its quiet in the air, i can hear my audible very well. And i do not have to remember goggles (one less piece of gear to worry about). The best part is that my Visor never ever fogs up, does get dirty and will prob have to be replaced in about another 150 jumps (250 total or so on each visor). Comfortable and warm and the chin cup will hold it on your head fine, dont need some strap there.
Jonathan

I used to always wear my Z1 when freeflying. It was fine. Only problem with it was you couldn't geek the camera as much. It is so fun to see everyones' faces - smiles and grins and tongues... part of the fun of it! Not to mention kiss passes aren't the same with the full-face click-kiss! Now I have a bonehead and you can see my cheshire cat grin spanning from ear to ear!
dove