Emmie

Financing a rig

Just wondering,
I'm hoping to get a 1st rig by beggining of season. I would love a brand new set of gear (I know, so would everyone else :) Does anyone know of any dealers that would finance a purchase, so that I could just make monthly payments, instead of paying all the money at once?

Emmie:
do yourself a favor, go to this forum, or another, there's hundreds of them, and buy your self used equipment for your first rig. you'll outgrow it, if you jump a lot, in less than six months, so you don't want to have a lot invested. (have a master rigger check it out first!!) i wished i would have done it this way, but noooooo. now i'm already on my third brand new TRIATHLON, but with the same Javelin J-4 container, which i of couse had customized with stainless steel hardware, and articulating chest and hip rings, which was a great idea, $400.00 extra. now, i'm stuck with this rig, when i want an oddyssy (sp?) and downsize my main once more. having said all that, i have $5500.00 initial investment, now two mains that i cant get a third of what i paid for them new (there'e custom colored as well, gotta have every thing color coordinated ya know) i'm still trying to sell them, i downsized after 64 jumps the first time, didn't go small enough. if i had to do it over again, i'd buy my first rig used, and outgrow it, sell it, and then by that time, i'd be set on what i want for the long haul, because when you buy it new, it devaluates a half of what you've originally invested the very first sky dive. hope this provides some insight. interested in a used TRIATHLON? it's in the main canopy section in the classifieds here on dropzone.com as far as financing, only an individual would "maybe" do it for you, no dz or pro shop, unless you have "plastic" but then, it's not really "yours" anyway. when i bought all my equipment, it was cash on the barrell head, mine, all mine! but, i've outgrown it :(
Richard
"Gravity Is My Friend"

I don't know of any dealers that will finance a new rig... most people use credit cards or get their house refinanced or get a "home improvement" loan or use student loans...
If you're ordering new and custom most dealers won't ask for all of it up front. Most will ask for a deposit with the balance due prior to the gear shipping to you. With some delivery times running 10-12 weeks, that's kinda like financing ;)
pull and flare,
lisa

Emmie,
I'd go with used stuff. I've found some great bargains on the internet. I know you may need some advice on this though. Beware of old friends trying to sell you old gear. I almost bought a rig with an older f-111 canopy for $4,000. I only could afford about $3,000 so I didn't buy it. Lucky thing. I almost got taken to the cleaners. This rig was only worth about $2000 and had over a thousand jumps on the canopy. On the net forums you could have bought a similiar rig with an older cypress and a better main, for around $1500. After scrolling through enough adds on the net, you can figure out how much a rig is worth. Whatever you buy though, it would be good to have a rigger check it out. Most people will accept the gear back if you ask. I've got most of my gear from dropzone.com (classifieds), and some from the enclave (classifieds). Hope this helps. Steve

I wouldn't go around bragging about "interest free loans" from you parents too much. The IRS has a different name for that: a gift. Which requires you parents and possibly you to pay taxes on that money. Because their definition of a loan is that it has to have a reasonable interest rate included.
"Can't keep my mind from the circling sky. Tongue-tied & twisted just an earth-bound misfit, I."

"E150 - AKA Jo, is also a boiled beef lover of a Brit....

ROFL - Ahhh... I missed that... for some reason I thought he was talking about Emmie. Now that I read back, it makes perfect sense, guess I should pay more attention. LOL
As for financing a rig.... I used credit cards to get all our stuff.. but I also get a pretty healthy bonus at the first of each year that I can use to pay it off too (of course, it takes some dicipline to actually use it for that lol). Also, the best advice I can think of as well is to BUY USED for your first rig. Your skill level will more than likely outgrow the first rig you buy, so spending as little money as possible is the way to go at first. Just make sure whatever you buy is checked out by your rigger before you purchase it.
"Pammi's Hemp/Skydiving Jewelry"

E150 - AKA Jo, is also a boiled beef lover of a Brit....

Ah, yes, Britain. I have never figured out how a country has so carefully avoided any actual flavor in their food. From my experience, the only exception was the wonderful Indian food from the immigrant population. But Brits DO make much better beer than we have. :)Justin
My Homepage

You might try:
Bud's Loft, 119 Main St, Gardiner, NY or his affiliated company:
Parachute Equipment Corp, 69 Main St, Vincentown, NJ 08088, [email protected]
For $1,000 (plus you buy your own Cypres) and a commitment to purchase your own gear from him, Bud will build you a complete set of gear that you can use for up to one year. During the year you may downsize the gear as many times as you want.
I have known some guys that took advantage of this program and they were very pleased with the equipment and Buds service and reserve repacks.
Only disadvantage I can see is that you pay full retail for the final purchase. Still the savings over buying the first set of gear and then selling it to downsize can more than make up the difference.
B| Gemini
... Fear? Fear is riding the plane down ...

But my understanding was this on gift taxes:
Annual exclusion. A separate $10,000 annual exclusion applies to each person to
whom you make a gift. Therefore, you generally can give up to $10,000 each to
any number of people each year and none of the gifts will be taxable.
If you are married, both you and your spouse can separately give up to $10,000 to
the same person each year without making a taxable gift. If one of you gives more
than $10,000 to a person during a year, see Gift Splitting, later.
Gift Splitting
If you or your spouse make a gift to a third party, the gift can be considered as
made one-half by you and one-half by your spouse. This is known as gift splitting.
Both of you must consent (agree) to split the gift. If you do, you each can take the
$10,000 annual exclusion for your part of the gift.
Gift splitting allows married couples to give up to $20,000 to a person annually
without making a taxable gift.
If you split a gift you made, you must file a gift tax return to show that you both
agree to use gift splitting. You must file a return even if half of the split gift is less
than $10,000. If the only reason you must file a gift tax return is because you and
your spouse are splitting a gift, you may use Form 709-A. See the form instructions
for who can use that form. This form is shorter and simpler than Form 709.
So in effect, my understanding is, your folks can give you $20K a year without any tax being owed.
But note, I am no tax lawyer, so consult one or the IRS before making a decisions that might affect your taxable status.