benny

Open letter concerning the DZ locator

To whom it may concern:
I am writing to inform you of an error in your dropzone locator. Oddly enough, I reside at the closest dropzone to me. Even more strange is the fact that your locator would send me to 6 other dropzones before mine and would seem to imply that mine does not exist. I'm sure that this was merely an oversight on your part, despite the fact that my dropzone is located in the continental US, is listed in your dropzone locator, and you have been informed of the coordinates according to my trusted rigger/S&TA, Mike Gruwell. If you happen to have misplaced those coordinates, you can simply refer to those used by "Skydive the Farm", which is actually not "located" at Cornelius-Moore Field, but simply uses the airstrip for departure. Thanks for your time and appreciation, I expect to see this error resolved shortly.

Sincerely,
Benjamin T Morson

I have a sneaking suspicion that it may not be simply an oversight. If the operators of this sight have something against the owners/establishment known as ASC, I would simply ask that they not allow this beef to negatively affect skydivers. Please allow them to come enjoy a 7 day a week dropzone which is currently home to a twin-otter, pilatus porter, king air and cessna 205. According to the locator, the Farm is the closest DZ, how many loads did they fly this past weekend? Anybody? We flew 18 Sunday alone...

Never go to a DZ strip show.

Hehehe. I'm sure it was just a mistake, but I find it absolutely hilarious that you're complaining about it. Maybe I have the wrong person (I'm not gonna go back and check), but arent you the one that was defending ASC doing THAT VERY SAME THING? Personally I hope it wasn't a mistake. Give them a taste of their own medicine. But I don't think sangiro is quite as bad as I'd be...

Dave

I have a sneaking suspicion that it may not be simply an oversight.

Then you have obviously never met Sangiro in person.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Maybe it's Karma maybe it's advertising $$$$$.The world may never know.

Karma Kris?

You think it's Karma to badmouth/not recognize the place where multiple people who are not even close to ownership work and play? Do you really think those people (tandem instructors, AFFIs, coaches, packers, funjumpers, etc) have done wrong? If so, how? Are they not teaching future skydivers, are they not helping to insure that those future skydivers have a wonderful experience? Karma is in the eye of the beholder.

Never go to a DZ strip show.

I believe it's entirely possible, they just didn't have the information you expected. I think a simple informational email mentioning this other dropzone that's closer in relation to the locator would have sufficed rather than attacking the locator on the forum like this. Not to mention you wouldn't have a bunch of people yelling at you about it right now!

>You think it's Karma to badmouth/not recognize the place where multiple people who are not even close to ownership work and play?

Karma would be nice here... steal from DZ.com and expect DZ.com to point traffic to you? :S
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

IMO, if the staff know about the practices of the owners and they still work and jump there, then they're signing their own personal OK on the practices, which are very unethical and illegal in some cases (stealing of copyrighted pictures, instructional booklets, websites and other things).

If my DZO started doing really shady things, I'd talk to him about it. If it was still an issue, I'd pick up and leave, going to one of the other DZs in Texas. It comes down to moral fiber.

Was ASC left off by accident? Probably, but then again, ASC stole images from DZ.com to use on their commercial website, so who knows.

This is sort of like a child who takes other kid's candy crying when his candy is taken away from him.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

>You think it's Karma to badmouth/not recognize the place where multiple people who are not even close to ownership work and play?

Karma would be nice here... steal from DZ.com and expect DZ.com to point traffic to you? :S

Ironic maybe? Someone is complaining that traffic is being directed away from ASC??? Don't you just hate it when something like that happens??? In fact, it could effect the entire DZ, staff and those that make a living off of the traffic that should have been pointed to the right DZ.[:/]

As others have said - knowing how Sangiro works with this website, it was most likely an accident. I doubt we can say the same thing for other websites.

Bwahahaha! I'm sorry, but I can't believe that the funniest thread in awhile is found in "Error and Bug Reports."

I expect to see this error resolved shortly.

EVEN FUNNIER! :D Watch out, HH! He told you! :D
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

Holy crap.... talk about creating DRAMA...

ASC has a bad enough image.. I doubt the owners and employees appreciate their fun jumpers acting like big cry babies over a bug in a system. If you noticed an error, all you had to do was send Sangiro a note with the info to fix it and give him a chance to do so. Hes only about to move back to South Africa.. surely he has nothing better to do.
:S

Hey but thanks for the laugh.

Bwahahaha! I'm sorry, but I can't believe that the funniest thread in awhile is found in "Error and Bug Reports."

I expect to see this error resolved shortly.

EVEN FUNNIER! :D Watch out, HH! He told you! :D

yeah dude!! I mean come on HH... where's this customer service he's paying for...? >:(:D

Oh... right... free service.... ;)

would you like some cheese to go with that whine? :D

Maybe it's Karma maybe it's advertising $$$$$.The world may never know.

Karma Kris?

You think it's Karma to badmouth/not recognize the place where multiple people who are not even close to ownership work and play? Do you really think those people (tandem instructors, AFFIs, coaches, packers, funjumpers, etc) have done wrong? If so, how? Are they not teaching future skydivers, are they not helping to insure that those future skydivers have a wonderful experience? Karma is in the eye of the beholder.

Hmmm,where to start.

The fact that you took my post serious shows alot.It shows that you do not know me or the kind of person I am.If you go back and read my post you will see that it made no reference to you ,the packers,tandem masters or anyone else at your DZ.If you do a search for other post that I have made you still will not find one like that.As a matter of fact I think you will find the only comments I have made have been about Skyride alone.I do find it very amusing someone from ASC complaining about the possibility of customers being lead astray.Now,I don't know you and I don't know if you keep your profile up to date.I will assume the jump numbers and time in sport are close.Spend a little time visiting other DZs"not only in GA."and then we can have a debate about the State of Skydiving in this country and weather the tactics used be some people to gain business is at all good for our sport.
If you will notice this is not a personal attack on you or anyone at your DZ.To everyone else sorry for posting this here in the Bug Reports

Karma Kris?

You think it's Karma to badmouth/not recognize the place where multiple people who are not even close to ownership work and play? Do you really think those people (tandem instructors, AFFIs, coaches, packers, funjumpers, etc) have done wrong? If so, how? Are they not teaching future skydivers, are they not helping to insure that those future skydivers have a wonderful experience? Karma is in the eye of the beholder

i know where your at dude. dont take this the wrong way but what you are doing is trying to convince yourself.

I can guarantee you that there is no human prejudice involved in whether a DZ is listed in the locator or not.

The locator uses the same database of DZ information that the 'Dropzones' feature of this site uses. The only thing that would prevent a DZ from appearing in the locator is inaccurate or missing geographical data for that DZ.

In this case, that was indeed the problem -- somehow the latitude, longitude, and ICAO identifier were set to a 'Polk County Airport' (4A4), near Des Moines, IA. If you'd searched there, you'd have seen the Atlanta Skydiving Center ;)

I've changed the lat/lng over to that of the Cornelius/Moore Airport in Cedartown, GA. Doing a search on Cedartown, GA, yields ASC as the second dropzone in the search.

Your sneaking suspicion is unfounded and uninformed. Aside from being a free service to the users of this site, the locator is only as good as the data that powers it. Having simply posted the correct latitude and longitude for your airfield would have resulted in a fixand would not have been accompanied by the flame war here.

One last point -- the locator is not a comprehensive list of all DZs in existence. It's meant as a tool to help people find places to jump, but just because a DZ isn't listed doesn't mean we're implying the DZ doesn't exist -- we're implying nothing.

Sit back and enjoy your brand-new working DZ listing.
Ross

It was a simple oversight. However, I seem to be having one bad experience after the other with ASC and the people associated with it. I will gladly remove ASC from my database alltogether. That will remove all possible confusion. Unlike the USPA, you do not become a member DZ here and I have no obligation to send a single person from my site to your DZ. You know what they say about pissing into the wind.
Safe swoops
Sangiro

It was a simple oversight. However, I seem to be having one bad experience after the other with ASC and the people associated with it. I will gladly remove ASC from my database alltogether. That will remove all possible confusion. Unlike the USPA, you do not become a member DZ here and I have no obligation to send a single person from my site to your DZ. You know what they say about pissing into the wind.

The crowd goes wild!!!Jumps to their feet in applause.Sangiro you are the man.Looking forward to meeting you at the PIA.