bodypilot90

DC3's making one jumpable

take the door off, install seatbelts, teach the pilot about flying a jumprun, and bring out your wallets, because they are no longer cheap to fly.

Regular jump price at Eloy! ;). If its not flying (which it does during boogies),bring 30 tickets and if Larry or Shawn are around, they'll fire it up:)
Remster

The turbine is the way to go if you have the choice. I rode in one of those planes not too long ago at an open house for the shop that rebuilt it. It's a nice plane, and I can't even imagine what the price tag was.

Our deal was that we did a demo into their open house, and got a ride in the plane (and free food), but they wouldn't let us jump out of it. They stated insurance problems with jumping, so I would ask that question before you go too much further in the planning stages to make sure it's a 'go'.

From what I saw, all you would need to do is pull the air-stair door, and you'll be good to go (in terms of the airplane. There was pleny of room in the seats to sit with a rig on, and of course they have seat belts in place.

If you can get the 'go ahead', I would make a call to Skydive Arizona, and see if one of their experienced DC-3 jump pilots and can talk to whoever will be at the stick when you jump. I don't think it will be too much work for the pilot, but a couple minutes on the phone with an experienced jump pilot would probably be a big help.

I have access to belts, what would you choose turbine or old school radial engine?

I have jumped both quite a bit, the turbine is just like flying in an over sized otter...for the old school experience take the OLD SCHOOL jump-ship!

Insurance might be a problem with either, most likely the turbine though...they're a bit pricey re-done like that - the owner may have some problems.

All ya need to do is pull the door off 'carefully' and put seat-belts in if it's in cargo configuration...some still have seats!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-QH7f1SSyo

Secure anything loose inside near the door, at exit it will blow around... if not often flown with the door off it can get interesting.;)

Make sure the driver slows it down at exit, some that have never flown jumpers get a bit skittish and tend to wanna keep the speed up.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

How many people do you intend to put out and who is spotting? Also, how will you relay spotting commands to the pilot? It's too far up to just yell.

>implying people actually spot these days

Spot a little or walk a lot was how I learned.;):D

I should rent myself out as a professional spotter. I'm not too bad at it. :)

You are thinking like a skydiver John. :ph34r:
For smokejumping operations the DC-3 hauls 12-14 firefighters with gear and cargo, the Otter hauls 8 firefighters with gear and cargo. Both have two pilots and a spotter.

3 Otters can cover a larger geographical area than one DC-3. You could have one in Ogden, one in Misoula and one in McCall for example. It is really just a flying fire truck and the Otters are simply more cost effecient than an antique DC-3, even with the turbine conversion.

Onward and Upward!

Yeah, but the cost to keep it flying even the Gov't can't afford.

Nice plane but the smokejumpers can run 3 twin otters for about the same cost.

And it will hold almost what two twin otters will do. so not so cost effective, eh?

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=775662#775662;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

You are thinking like a skydiver John. :ph34r:
For smokejumping operations the DC-3 hauls 12-14 firefighters with gear and cargo, the Otter hauls 8 firefighters with gear and cargo. Both have two pilots and a spotter.

Yeah, my reply was a little unclear. :D I meant to say that "Yes, for 3 times the cost the DC-3 carries only almost twice the twin otter load. Over 50% higher cost per jumper.

3 Otters can cover a larger geographical area than one DC-3. You could have one in Ogden, one in Misoula and one in McCall for example. It is really just a flying fire truck and the Otters are simply more cost effecient than an antique DC-3, even with the turbine conversion.

I didn't even consider that aspect of it, the increased flexibility of basing. BTW, those smoke jumpers have my utmost respect and admiration. Those guys are tougher and in better shape than I've ever been on the best day of my life. :D:D

The turbine is the way to go if you have the choice.

Awwww, maaaan. You take all the fun out of teaching noobs about the difference between turbines and pistons and the effects of oil on jumpsuits.

:D:D
Hey! Noob! Stand right here. As soon as the pilot cranks up, we're boarding.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Yeah, you and I have spent a lot of time riding around between a hot set of jugs, haven't we?;)

I love the smell and the rumble, but I'd rather get to 13K in 13 minutes. :)

I'm not real sure you caught that, John.
:D:D;)
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239