napaguy99

DZ location Maps

In the "Dropzones" listings I think it would be really nice to have a map for each state showing where all the dropzones are. Currently, the only way I know to find where a dz is, is to go through Mapquest and type in each city for the dz.

What I'm thinking is this: when you click on a state a map of said state comes up. The map has a little dot depicting where each dz in that state is located. It would be a great help!

"Let the misinterpretation and attacks begin."

i almost posted this same thing a few weeks ago. it would ne nice to have a world map on the main Dropzone page. rather than having to go through 4-5 clicks everytime i want to find a DZ in the US. making a larger map that narrows down to smaller ones would be nicer

.-.

It's been asked before an I think it's a good idea. If you can find me a free set of graphics of the US and all the states (nice and clean graphic files) then I'll take a look into it. :)
Feel free to post links here.
Safe swoops
Sangiro

It's been asked before an I think it's a good idea. If you can find me a free set of graphics of the US and all the states (nice and clean graphic files) then I'll take a look into it.

I can draw them for you in Paint. :)

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

It's been asked before an I think it's a good idea. If you can find me a free set of graphics of the US and all the states (nice and clean graphic files) then I'll take a look into it. :)
Feel free to post links here.

Here's one...see below...
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Thanks... but I also need a map of every state. ;)

This one is not particularly nice... Hehehehe! I think you pulled this from http://www.netstate.com/. YUou can get state maps there as well. I've looked there before. Would like something a bit "better looking" than those.

Here's a map of Florida that I think is good to use. Now, just find me a site that has all the states in this quality - that I'm allowed to use.

This could work.

Keep them coming... :)
Safe swoops
Sangiro

i use this site for the kids i babysit for...http://geography.about.com/library/maps/blusx.htm

when you click the state of your choice, a page comes up w/ map options. there is an option for 'free blank outline map'...from your example, i think this could be what you're looking for?? if not i know of a site w/ usable maps of all states, with major highways included....
Oh Canada, merci pour la livraison!

Hi All, I am a cartographer by day and would be more than willing. What I would need is a spreadsheet (.xls) of the dropzones by state, listing the towns. I can do it by state and the wholes US. I guess I could do it for the world. Let me know. PM or email me direct.

In the "Dropzones" listings I think it would be really nice to have a map for each state showing where all the dropzones are. Currently, the only way I know to find where a dz is, is to go through Mapquest and type in each city for the dz.

How about also including an aerial shot of each dropzone? Maybe with the outs highlighted? After my last jump (first out landing) I thought that might be good for jumpers visiting other DZs. Of course it's not as good as asking the local jumpers where the outs are, but it's something.

Beer bought, beer drank,
---Nover

How about also including an aerial shot of each dropzone? Maybe with the outs highlighted? After my last jump (first out landing) I thought that might be good for jumpers visiting other DZs. Of course it's not as good as asking the local jumpers where the outs are, but it's something.

Beer bought, beer drank,
---Nover

I think that might be a bit much for DZ.com. All dropzones should have an overhead of the DZ on the DZ. Your brief upon checking in should include a run-down of what's good for landing out and what's not. You might want to check out this link for more suggestions on what to do when you go to a new DZ. Something I would suggest is as soon as you confirm you have a good canopy and traffic is not an issue, immediately assess whether you are going to make it back. If it is at all in doubt, begin to evaluate your outs while you are up high. Actually, I think I learned that in the 1st jump course.

But...any word on how this project is coming?

"Let the misinterpretation and attacks begin."

But...any word on how this project is coming?

I have actually contacted a company who have done some automatic map integrations in France (in the software that I use). I'd prefer a solution where I don't have to update DZ's manually but where it's done automatically from Lon/Lat inputs. Waiting to hear back from them...
Safe swoops
Sangiro

I just put this together. It's by far not perfect but it at least helps to know where dz's are in location of the state.

DZ's BY STATE

If you'd like to put a link to this on the dropzone section feel free.

SD San Marcos' star is in the wrong spot in TX, its literally nearly 100 miles east in Fentress.;)

The important DZ, SD Aggieland, is right where it should be, though, in Bryan, TX. B|B|B|:P
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

The layout is good, although instead of linking each state by region, I'd just have a big US map that you can create an imagemap with, to bring up the appropiate state. It'd make navigation much cleaner and faster.

Yeah, that's going to happen, but when I first sat down to make the site, I didn't have a good US map. Then my "carpal tunnel" started acting up since I had the mouse in my hands for about 8 hrs.

I'll definitely add the US map, and San Marcos should be fixed

D

and San Marcos should be fixed

That's gonna take more then a website! >:(

j/k

SD San Marcos is a good DZ with a lot of good folks jumping there!

Well, if you want a hand, I can create the imagemap code for ya.

Well, if you want a hand, I can create the imagemap code for ya

sure, I'd love the help. I won't coment on San Marcos, I've never been there, but do notice I left out a DZ in NV, which doesn't like anyone who isn't a tandem. B|

Thanks for the help
D