SpeedRacer

What's the best audible?

I'll be getting a bonus pretty soon, so I thought I'd better buy an audible altimeter. I thought of getting a Skytronic Pro, but some people love 'em, some hate 'em. Actually, many of the audbiles seem to get mixed reviews. (I'd really love to get a Pro Track, but thats kinda expensive) So what's the best audible to get that's not too expensive , assuming I want one with more than one alarm setting?
Speed Racer
"Blue Skies, Red eyes, Sore thighs!"

imho if you can't afford the ProTrack get the ProDytter. Larsen and Brusgaard knows how to take care of their customers. I've seen them replace broken old style (one beep) Dytters with brand new Pro Dytters - now that's service.
I liked my Skytronic Pro but when it broke I got no customer service from the manufacturer... and I work for a major equipment dealer. I've talked to several customers who have had the same problem.
If you can afford it get the ProTrack; what a fun little toy! :)pull and flare,
lisa

I must agree with the good customer service from L and B. My Jump-track PC interface cable was giving me problems - I sent them an email and received a new one in a few days.
Don't touch a Time-Out - they're unreliable, and I'm not even sure if Cool n Groovy are still trading. I've certainly heard lots of stories about unanswered letters, phone calls, emails, etc.
Don't know amnything about Skytronic.
You won't go wrong with a Pro-Dytter.
Geoff

I love my Pro-Track. Very reliable, very interesting, cool info. but most of all always right on track with the altitude. I can watch my altimeter, and listen for the Pro-Track, too cool! I dropped the Pro-Track in the plane about a month and a half ago, I guess somebody stepped on it before I noticed.... I picked it up but didn't notice anything wrong with it until after my jump. The battery cover was busted and sticking out. Of course, I knew it fell out in the plane, because I picked it up, but didn't really think anything was wrong. Of course I used my visual alti. on the way down! :)

Save up a bit longer and get the Pro Track. I was amazed at just how much info it was giving me. As a beginner skydiver it has helped me a whole lot. Plus of course the cool features like average and top speeds (makes me wanna go out and buy a weight vest - joke!). Yes, it does cost a lot more than a Pro Dytter, but you are getting a helluva accurate electronic log-book thrown into the deal.
/s

I liked my Skytronic Pro but when it broke I got no customer service from the manufacturer... and I work for a major equipment dealer. I've talked to several customers who have had the same problem.
If you can afford it get the ProTrack; what a fun little toy!

Most people I know who own a Skytronic have said the same thing. The ProTrack is an awesome toy if it is within your budget, if not I would highly recommend the ProDytter, I have had no problems with mine and it is easy to use with 3 altitude settings. :)Tee

Thanks for the info, everyone! I was hesitant about buying a Pro Track because of the $, and the fact that I'm really a cheap bastard.
But I figure, since I got such a good deal on all my other gear (never paid full retail, except for the jumpsuit) maybe I should splurge on the ProTrack.
Speed Racer
"Blue Skies, Red eyes, Sore thighs!"

I have a Z1 and a pro-dytter. I think it really depends on how snug your helmet fits...mine is pretty tight and it doesnt fit in there to well. it starts to come out of the pocket a bit because it is mashed up against my head and it starts to get pushed towards the back of the helmet. I am not worried about it coming out while my helmet is on, but if I take it off...it could fall out. So i usually have to keep an eye on it. I would imagine that if your bucket is a bit bigger, you wont have any of these problems.
The oxygens have a really nice locking feature. I havent heard of any falling out and they are mounted on the outside so it is a bit more comfortable. I think that my next helmet will proabably be an oxygen.
"I'll jump anything!"

I have never had my PRO-Dytter fall out of my Z1. One thing you need to realize is that there is a pocket, but after you slide it into the pocket you need to slide it up underneath the lip in the pocket. I don't think I'm describing this well. The openning for the pocket is not right at the end, this keeps the contents from coming out.

I have a Factory Diver and its used, almost time for a new one I think...anyway, it falls out because the pocket is worn and more loose than it used to be I guess....anyway, after that incident when it fell out, I have started putting a little piece of cloth in the pocket (on the far side of the audible) and it stays in fine. I am the only person I have ever met whose audible falls out, I didn't realize it was common. Mine only fell out if I held the helmet upside down when I didn't have it on.
Speed Racer, I did the exact thing you are. I didn't plan to get a Pro-Track, but then I saw someone else's and saved enough money on my rig that I could get the Pro-Track.
Another thing: I don't as yet have the software, I don't think everyone who buys a Pro-Track is setting themselves up to spend another $100. I only have close to 40 jumps so I don't have any need for that software yet. Maybe one day I will, but for now, the little Pro-Track is a bad ass toy by itself!
Sis

I don't know about the customer service for a Skytronic Pro but I can tell you that it is a great audible! Its very accurate and loud. Since it has a LCD display, you can check to see if it is reading the same as your wrist mount. Plus it makes it much easier to set. It has small increments as well which lets you fine tune your warnings to exactly where you want them. I definately recommend it.
Safe landings,
Alex D-something

I was going to get a Solo II but hearing good things about the pro track. However it fits on the outside of the helmet. How can you hear it?

I believe that helmets that have the external indentation to hold audibles have some holes to allow sound to travel inside.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I was going to get a Solo II but hearing good things about the pro track. However it fits on the outside of the helmet. How can you hear it?

They're roughly the same dimensions; I believe they'd both be able to be mounted in the same way. As others have said, if there's an indentation for the audible, you should be able to hear it okay if it's mounted outside the helmet. However, many helmets have a pocket inside the helmet to put the audible in, so it really just depends on what type of helmet you have.

If a ProTrack is in your budget (or you can find one used), I'd recommend that over a Solo II because you not only get the audible features, you get the logging features, which are nice to have.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

One that beeps at the correct altitude, every time.

Preferably one that's easy to set, and you never have to manually turn on.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I'm surprised no one has suggested the Optima or the Solo, both fantastic audibles and MUCH less costly.

I love my Optima because one battery lasts me an entire season and I NEVER shut it off until I put my gear away in the winter. It gets turned on in the spring and keeps on going.

If you need an audible, the $160 Solo is fantastic. If you need one with a bit more detail in which altitudes you want it set at, get the Optima ($230 I believe).
"When once you have tasted flight..."

As with everything, for what are you going to used it for?.

Do you want a digital logbook altimeter as well? Do you want canopy altitude warnings ?. Are you going to be changing setting often that profiles options would be more convenient?. Figured out whats the reason of buying one.

If it only purpose is give you freefall altitude awareness, go for the cheapest one. If you want a logbook/beeps on freefall and canopy go with Neptune. (I would recommend the Neptune III it has some good features). Want different setting and canopy warning as well, go with the OptimaII, (The Optima II has some nice ergonomics features).

Also, as many people here know, LnB has the best costumer service I have seen on the industry so far.