steveorino

Shania Twain & no flare tandem

My wife taped a show (Oprah, I think) that had Shania Twain doing a tandem with a lady friend. Shania's tandem was uneventful, but it clearly showed her friend landing and the TM DID NOT flare!. They hit hard!! The TM's feet were up for slide in so her butt hit first (with NO flare) How she did not break her pelvis I do not know. I THINK the jump was in Canada.

Why would a TM not flare???????

steveOrino

I THINK the jump was in Canada.

Skydive Toronto according to the front page of their website

People choose to jump with Skydive Toronto for many reasons - for the thrill - for the unmatched excitement - for a once in the life time experience - to change their lives - to go beyond - to rebuild - to draw a line in the sand, turn things around and come charging back at 120 miles per hour!

Join Canadian international superstar Shania Twain at Skydive Toronto on her new show, Why Not with Shania Twain, on the Oprah Winfrey Network, premiering May 20th at 9pm ET.

Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Yeah, it was at Skydive Toronto last October. I wasn't able to make it to do camera that day. The footage was used for this appearance of Shania on the brand new Oprah Network, also apparently timed to match up with Shania's new book.

I think it was just a badly timed flare. Haven't seen the video yet to see how badly though! Some instructors are generally decent and reliable but not everyone is at the top of the game.

The same thing happened with that good looking woman on the cooking network, she ate it big time on landing (which was very fast down wind).

WTF?

Not so sure it was downwind, maybe just no wind. Their lousy landing was at least in part due to her not picking up her legs.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Take a look at the video. Pause at 3:39. Check out the wind sock! Totally down wind.

I should have noticed the sock in the video, but it does not look like it is indicating a downwinder, more like a crosswinder, but it is hard to tell.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

The bigger the crowd, the more likely you fuck up....:S

Sort of like when the Golden Knight TI pounded in Bush '41 on his birthday a few years ago...:o

I think THAT one was intentional :D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

The bigger the crowd, the more likely you fuck up....:S

Sort of like when the Golden Knight TI pounded in Bush '41 on his birthday a few years ago...:o

Contract Hit

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

That's not a wind sock, just a small flag. Winds could have been light and variable, and chasing a flag can be dangerous. Looks like Rachel could have gotten her legs a little higher, which would have resulted in a much better landing. Does anyone have a link to the Shania Twain tandem?

I think it was just a badly timed flare. Haven't seen the video yet to see how badly though!

I watched the video many times. there was NO attempt to flare! WTH?

I wasn't there for this, but I heard some speculation that the TM was a bit distracted by the crowds as he came in for landing. Without seeing the video I am guessing it was indeed a late flare, but that probably isn't an excuse. This is an experienced TM, well over 1000 tandem jumps.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Looking at the video it appears Marie (sp) is helping to flair and she locked up at 90 degrees.

If that is the case, it is not all on the T-I. He can spend more time teaching the flairing tech or not let the 1st time jumper land, but fly the pattern sure.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!