BillyVance

Tandem video from youtube

Video flyer grabbed the students harness prior to leaving the door and took it as a linked exit. Not the SOP that UPT wants followed for tandems.

Instructor looks like they come in crosswind and might have flared a bit late but I'd also suspect some downdraft or rotor action looking at the landing area, the wind and decent rate of the tandem at the last second.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I won't speak to the landing as there appeared to be very little glide slope and as Eric points out; a couple of possibilities. But, as to the "linked" exit, it "appears" the video guy was trying to help pull the Anvil Passenger down so the TI could get out the door. Notice the container inside and above the door.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

One thing I can see is that it really looks like either there was not much footage of that jump, or they are trying to hide what really happened. There's just too many segments of that jump that are missing. There's no video of the landing pattern and what the approach looked like. If nothing was done wrong, why not have that footage in the video?
Consider the source, ASC/Skyride! Do we really expect anything less?

If nothing was done wrong, why not have that footage in the video?

I think you may be jumping to a conclusion. It is just as likely that the individual who posted his skydiving video edited it for length prior to posting and cut out all of the parts he considered to be boring. I know it is popular to bash skyride, but when it is done indiscriminately it lessens the affect of legitimate complaints.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

Its review was done in an objective capacity as if it happened anywhere. Even as one opposed to linked exits while as a TI, in this case it "appeared" the videographer was being heads-up about the situation and trying to assist in getting the Anvil to bend down a little on exit to assist the TI. That's just my observation and assumption and not to be interpreted as fact. Only that videographer and TI knows the intent of the action.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

To each his own, but that said I tend to frown upon cameraflyers that take a grip on the passenger since if YOU can grab them it follows logically that they can also grab YOU.

I wonder if I can control a freaked out passenger with a death grip on my camera flyer - but I'm not eager to find out...

Second observation: If the hard landing that is obvious fcor anyone seeing the video was caused by a downdraft then this downdraft doesnt have any effect on the windsock visible in the background.

Third observation: The tandempair not only has a high descent rate upon their arrival (wouldn't call that a landing) but IMO also a lot of froward speed. Now this can happen with a big bloke in front of you when there is no wind at all. However, the windsock shows that there is some wind.

It is probably my cunning and devious nature but IF i would ever make a mistake like that you bunch of monday morning coaches are not going to find it on youtube... :)

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

I'm wondering if the 'surge' landing "technique" was used... I remember folks breaking themselves doing this back in the day, and for whatever reason (ZP -vs- F111 ?) it's accepted today. I cringe everytime I see it done. [:/]

Disclaimer: I'm not a TI.

Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

There was a flair? Pretty shitty video flying over all IMHO.

+1

Yeah man... UGH. That type of flying isn't acceptable at my dz for video to be sold to a customer. Overall lots of things I don't like about how the videographer worked that situation.

Pretty rough landing, wont comment on that cause shit happens, but ugh.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

It is probably my cunning and devious nature but IF i would ever make a mistake like that you bunch of monday morning coaches are not going to find it on youtube... :)

I'm sure the videographer would not have posted it himself, but the passenger did, after editing it himself.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Billy after reviewing the video many times it is hard to say what went wrong with the landing other than it appears the passenger straight armed the instructor on landing.

Since I can not see the TIs arms at any time during the landing it appears they are covered by the passengers and that he had assistance from the passenger who pushed his arms straight out instead of down which crippled the instructors ability to safely land the pair.

JM2C

Uncle/GrandPapa Whit
Unico Rodriguez # 245
Muff Brother # 2421

He is handicapped...thats why he was assisted in leaving the aircraft.

Do you mean the guy/tandem student that walked to the aircraft by himself?

Well look at him walking, it looks as if he already shit his pants before even entering the plane.
And they are "assisting him" to the door in the plane aswell.

Ok in all fairness to you, I checked. The young man in the video in fact has spina bifida and he spoke with his doctor before making a jump. He went on to tell me, he lives in western NC about 45 mins from pigeon forge TN. He told me that he was told ASC was the nearest place to jump to him.

As we talked he told me he thought he had made an appointment to jump at "skydive the farm" but was given directions to ASC.

He also said his instructor told him to hold the harness on landing and he then heard a feet up and an "oh shit" & "next thing I knew we were on the ground".

In all fairness to you, he stated he felt the instructor did nothing wrong, he dose not wish to bad mouth ASC, at this time.

However after he gets done reading all the threads and watching the news stories about the skyride scam, he may change his tune like so many other people have done. He had no idea about this website or that people in skydiving would be watching the video, he posted so all his family who wanted to know how he got broken, could see it.

He was surprised to learn in fact there were closer dz's to his location and how he was like many others told to drive many miles to a "closest location".

So in summery, yes the guy had spinal issue, spina bifida, but in his own words, his condition is not life limiting and he rides a crotch rocket motor cycle daily and has no problems walking or moving about. Was sold a lie, and in fact was swooped from the farm, most likely from the many websites that use trickery to steal other peoples business, like "skydive Arizona" VS "Arizona Skydiving" & "Skydiving Arizona".
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

1. Yes in fairness to you, because your the one who said YOU remembered the guy and he had a spinal issue.

2. I emailed the video poster via youtube, that person called me personally and provided facts as to their medical conditions and their jump.

3. I will not apologize to the TI, not because he works for scumbags, but because I have not bashed the TI in question. I saw a very little flair if any, that is MHO like it or not, seen the same shit at a lot of places not just ASC.

4. I stand by my posts, I checked your facts and reported what I found. I have bashed the video guy in this thread, I still stand by my post, that video flying sucks ass and is rookie at best, and if this SOP for that dz, then your ripping off people by selling sub par videos.

I will hand it to you though it's not the worst example of shit video I seen sold to people, just last night I found way worse being sold regularly some where over the rainbow .
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Check out the white cell just before the landing. Doesn't it look deformed to you. Like blown out?

~H

Nope, looks fine to me. Probably just an optical illusion.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban