Megatron

Question for Tandem Instructors

I'm considering eventually getting a tandem rating (still quite a ways off but I'm just curious), just have a few questions about it as a profession.

Can you do it as a full-time profession? Would you want to?
If so, what does a tandem instructor typically get paid full-time? Part-time?
Do you find it fullfilling? Does it make you jaded to the sport as a recreational activity, that is, do you still enjoy fun-jumping as much?

Thanks in advance.

I'm parttime. I've been doing tandems for 16+ years, still haven't made 1000 yet. I fun jump, do AFF and tandems, and clock about 200+ jumps a year. The variety keeps me from burning out. I have a regular job 5 days a week, so the tandems and AFF just pay for my and my wife's fun jump bill. We don't try to take money home from it.

I enjoy working with students.

If you add the variety like the previous poster they you most likely wont lose your enthusiasm for the sport. But make it a 100% commitment and you more than likely will. But, it is not just tandem training that has this burnout effect. Play, train or teach any discipline 40 hours a week and there will be a burnout factor. Martial arts teachers, SCUBA trainers, you name it and do it full time then there is a burn out factor in it.

I find it helpful, with over 10,000 jumps, most commercial, that it still beats working 9-5. We work for 6 months and take home about 45K without tips in that time, doing hand cam. Work at a year round mill like Guam, Vegas, or Hawaii then you can make 80K a year but you have to accept who you are: a factory sky diver. I still like it...if you don't...do something else!

I make few recreational skydives and when I do it is usually hop n pops for swooping.

I do tandems with my own rig for people who I WANT to take on tandems. I really enjoy it (I've held various instructor ratings and enjoy teaching and developing students). I am also pretty much a weekender. The greatest challenge to part time tandem jumping is that it really gets in the way of developing skills in other disciplines. I feel very good about the quality of my tandem work, but my RW and freefall photography skills have definitely diminished somewhat. But no hint of burn out--I love the challenge and excitement of the sport more than ever. But if you do a lot of things for variety, it's tough to do all of those things well.

off topic but are there ways around the 3 year rule for the rating? I've been told an approval by an S&TA can do it. I've also worked at a DZ for a year and half, when I started sky diving.

Tandems take maturity and experience. Part of that is realizing that it is a good idea all around to wait until you have those three years in the sport.

My time is up in April. I am glad I had to wait the three years! Don't rush it, you are going to have some one else's life in your hands!!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

off topic but are there ways around the 3 year rule for the rating? I've been told an approval by an S&TA can do it. I've also worked at a DZ for a year and half, when I started sky diving.

If you're going to have the rules waived, try to put in the effort to find out how for yourself. It's going to show the ones that can make that waiver that you have a drive, and dedication to know as much as possible about the activity you're involved in, which is exactly one of the things the three year requirement is supposed to cover.

A quick look at the SIM manual shows me that the requirements might be waived by the USPA BOD. Having attended a couple meetings, I'll tell you that the more information the BOD has, the more they know about your character, and the more references that you can provide, the more likely you're request will be considered seriously.

But again, don't trust what someone "told" you. Do your homework. Open the SIM and IRM and find out. Contact the people that have the answers. www.uspa.org Jim Crouch is the director of Safety and Training, he's a good place to start.

Good luck.

:)
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

The three year rule is also part of the FARs so you'd have to deal with the FAA as well.

You are absolutely correct. I had not remembered the wording when changed from an experimental status.

To the OP, it would require a waiver from the FAA as well.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Hi,

If you like to travel and don't mind differnt cultures then tandem skydiving is a wonderful full time profession.

I make about 1000 work jumps per year and still find time to train and compete in the world championships. as well as some boogies.

Without tandem skydiving I would most likely not have been to Africa, USA, france, russia, Norway, sweden.......

You are constantly reminded of how great you job is.

The long and the short of it is, if you love skydiving you will keep your enthusiasm, if you skydive because it is cool, them you will be a grumpy ass TM is no time at all.

I make about AUS$60k+ a year, running handicam and outside video.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Just tell them you're with Red Bull and you really know what you're doing.

And your mom can make a new suit for you to wear doing tandems....
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

In regards to your tandems defintion at the bottom. I heard it from "Gooch" of Joe Webers Pilot crew from "Skydive Oregon" :50 pounds of worn out shit on your back, 200 pounds of stupid on the front,6 or 7 handles, A pilot chute in tow, What could possibly go wrong? I always thank my DZO as he drives home in his Porsche for the worn out gear part. Just kidding about the Porsche ,Its actually a "Yugo" with duct tape

I know of a TI that got his rating around 200 jumps at LODI. But he is the worst TI I have ever meet or dealt with. He had a shitty attitude towards students and co-workers

Isn't that illegal?:S

What made him so cool he could do that?
What still makes him so cool that he can treat everyone like crap? Sounds like someone needs to bring him down a peg or two.:|

I know of a TI that got his rating around 200 jumps at LODI. But he is the worst TI I have ever meet or dealt with. He had a shitty attitude towards students and co-workers

Isn't that illegal?:S

What made him so cool he could do that?
What still makes him so cool that he can treat everyone like crap? Sounds like someone needs to bring him down a peg or two.:|

Yes it is ILLEGAL.
He is not cool at all, so I don't know why someone would give him a rating.
I agree, someone needs to take him down a peg but only death can provide that for him, Hopefully he won't be with a student when that happens.

Yes it is ILLEGAL.
He is not cool at all, so I don't know why someone would give him a rating.

Well, that begs the question as to who the Tandem I/E was, who falsified the rating documents, and why anyone would have a jerk like that work for them. I would hate to work for a DZ that would make me work next to that asshat.

I know of a TI that got his rating around 200 jumps at LODI. But he is the worst TI I have ever meet or dealt with. He had a shitty attitude towards students and co-workers.

perhaps he did a lot of jumps on paper. You only need a logbook and a pencil to make a lot of jumps.
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habid.
Also in case you jump a sport rig!!!

I'm considering eventually getting a tandem rating (still quite a ways off but I'm just curious), just have a few questions about it as a profession. Can you do it as a full-time profession? Would you want to?If so, what does a tandem instructor typically get paid full-time? Part-time?Do you find it fullfilling? Does it make you jaded to the sport as a recreational activity, that is, do you still enjoy fun-jumping as much?Thanks in advance.

Because of my affilition with the sport I am frequently contacted by dz's looking for a quality instructor, and I also speak with lots of TM's and  JM's who either work full or part time in the sport. I know lots of guys who have been JUST an instructor for the majority of the year, and then are wise enough to treat themselves to a stress free boogie with no students every now and again to keep interest in the sport alive for them.

I currently know of one postion that could be a full time, summer  only position. Lots of work, not lots of months. Does that answer your question?
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

as a tandem camera slave at a factory...I stilll love it and would recommend it to any person who thinks they have got what it takes, I have been throwing drogues for ten years now and would stop for quids...fun jump when you get the chance it sure beats the shit out of 9 till 5...all skydiving is fun.

80 grand a year bein an instructor at vegas or hawaii?

HAHA that's funny! Where the hell did you come up with that # ? Most of the instructers out there (HI) struggle just to pay rent! That's a whole lot of jumps at the $20 a jump that they pay! 4000 jumps a year I believe, good luck with that. Can I live in your dream world?

80 grand a year bein an instructor at vegas or hawaii?

HAHA that's funny! Where the hell did you come up with that # ? Most of the instructers out there (HI) struggle just to pay rent! That's a whole lot of jumps at the $20 a jump that they pay! 4000 jumps a year I believe, good luck with that. Can I live in your dream world?

Well, maybe not Hawaii but I know you can make that much at Vegas, but you'll probably burn out in a year.