Cari

Question for any small TI's out there.

I would love to be a TI eventually, but I'm afraid that my small size might hinder me. I'm only 5'4" and about 125 lbs. How much would that factor in to my ability to land with someone potentially quite a bit taller and heavier than myself strapped to me?

I'm around your size and got my tandem rating earlier this year. I don't do tandems though... just got the rating for fun and only jumped with experienced skydivers. I can tell you it's tough, but doable. You might be limited in how big (in weight and height) your students can be... especially at first. No real problem with smaller students. Biggest I took was maybe just under 6 feet and 190 lbs. Even though he had 2000 jumps (and took the tandem course with me), I found certain things to be tough. I definitely wouldn't want to take a real student that size. But, everything gets easier with experience and I'm sure if I had any interest in doing tandems (for real), I'd figure out how to deal with the taller and heavier people more easily.

Dave

First you should try on a tandem rig and see if you can reach the drogue.

Your height and wingspan might make it more difficult to fly the exit, but I know small TI's who've figured that out, and I know tall TI's who quit doing tandems because they couldn't exit stable.

As for landing, height isn't as much of a factor as strength and technique. Depending on what tandem canopies you might have to fly, it can take a lot of strength to flare the canopy. And as you probably know already, the heavier the passenger, the harder it is to flare. There are techniques to ease that flare pressure, but still, it's a lot harder than flaring a sport canopy. (In my girly opinion)
http://www.exitshot.com

First you should try on a tandem rig and see if you can reach the drogue.

Your height and wingspan might make it more difficult to fly the exit, but I know small TI's who've figured that out, and I know tall TI's who quit doing tandems because they couldn't exit stable.

As for landing, height isn't as much of a factor as strength and technique. Depending on what tandem canopies you might have to fly, it can take a lot of strength to flare the canopy. And as you probably know already, the heavier the passenger, the harder it is to flare. There are techniques to ease that flare pressure, but still, it's a lot harder than flaring a sport canopy. (In my girly opinion)

I have a long way to go. I just really would like to be able to do it eventually. I never even considered the possibility that I wouldn't be able to reach the drogue. I work out a lot and am pretty strong for my size, so I think I'd be ok on the strength end of things. Who knows? I'll find out eventually and I'll make sure to post my findings here!

I'm 5'3" and can reach the drogue on some tandem rigs (like Micro Sigma), but not on all (not on regular Vector/Sigma rigs). Well, I can reach it with my finger tips, but not enough to grab/throw it.

Had a friend go for her tandem rating last year. She's very strong for her size, not a girl I'd want to mess with, but she couldn't flare the canopy by herself. There are some tandem canopies she could flare, but without being able to land all of them there's no way she could get her rating.

Not to say you can't do it - there are certainly some smaller females who have - but it will be a challenge, and you may learn that you can/prefer to only use certain types of tandem gear.

she couldn't flare the canopy by herself

Its going to suck if she has a reserve ride. No student toggles, no flare toggles, you're flying the "whole" canopy the entire time and the toggle pressure is higher then on even an EZ-384!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Actually the harness sizing would be a problem for me if I was going to do tandems. I have to shorten the main lift webs on the sigma or it'll be too lose and I might not be able to reach the drogue. It's a stretch for me even with the harness adjusted for me. All the TIs at our DZ have settled on one setting. One size fits all... except me. The older sigma harnesses are a major pain to adjust. I'd have to change it up for each jump, and then remember to change it back afterward. Not so bad on the new sigmas but we have a mix of old and new and I'd have to be able to use both.

Flaring is hard... especially with a heavier student. I really have to think about getting my elbows up and pushing straight down to finish the flare... or I pound in. With lighter students it's not so bad.

Dave

I'm 5'2" and have done around 450 tandems. Sure the harnesses are bigger on me but both sigma and strong fit okay once adjusted. I actually prefer the strong rig for fit as it is not as wide of a rig as sigmas. It did take me awhile to get the hang of it but I found the bigger ones tend to listen better anyways. The biggest I took was around 230 and 6ft tall. The taller ones were always harder though since they have so much more body surface.

Its going to suck if she has a reserve ride. No student toggles, no flare toggles, you're flying the "whole" canopy the entire time and the toggle pressure is higher then on even an EZ-384!

The passenger can take the loops and the instructor take the tab above the toggles when flying the reserve. Although I can land without the passenger helping, I almost always train my students to help me with the flare. Hasn't been a real problem for the first 920 tandems. I get as good of landings as the rest of the TI's, and I've noticed my passengers take pride in helping land the canopy.

The person I was originally referring to did 5 or so jumps with the I/E, but did not get her tandem rating. Good point though, and definitely something for everyone who thinks flaring tandems is difficult to keep in mind.

You must have a lot longer arms than me! I'm 5'1 but can just barely touch the drogue on our Strong rigs - definitely not enough to pull it!

And toggle pressure is something you would have to work out to get used to. I've been a passenger a handful of times and I'm always surprised at the toggle pressure...

I think my arm span from fingers to shoulder is around 26", I do not have long arms by any means. Maybe just flexible :P During the course I was worried I would even be able to reach the drogue but on the first jump as a passenger pitching the drogue, I got it on the first try and have had no problems ever reaching it.

Yes the toggle pressure sucks on strong canopies but on icarus and sigma is rather light by comparison. The only times I couldn't quite flare by myself is when I took a 200 + pounders on a set 400. Now that is quite the workout for me.

You must have a lot longer arms than me! I'm 5'1 but can just barely touch the drogue on our Strong rigs - definitely not enough to pull it!

And toggle pressure is something you would have to work out to get used to. I've been a passenger a handful of times and I'm always surprised at the toggle pressure...

Yes, to be a TM you need to be some kind of monkey with long arms:S
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habid.
Also in case you jump a sport rig!!!

B|B|B|

That is so awesome that you are thinking about a TI rating!!!B|B|B|

I just received my TI this year and I am 5'10 175 lbs. While I'm larger than you I can describe some of the items that I have had to adapt too.

1st) 50% of my passengers are taller than me. I have found a little extra ground prep and keeping the passenger as relaxed as possible helps in the sky and under canopy. Unless they are huge, height has not been a major obstacle.

2nd) On average my passengers usually are about 10-20 pounds heavier than me. I have found weight translates to toggle pressure the heavier the passenger the higher the toggle pressure. That being said I see several passengers that match your build going on tandems every weekend which would be perfect for someone your size to handle.

3rd) John Mitchell has given good advice about having passengers help you land. I have found on the larger passengers if I don't have them help me land I get worn out quickly. The only draw back is if you do not spend the proper time on the ground teaching passengers how to land you run the risk of having them do something silly when it counts. Rule of thumb; take the time to brief your passengers regardless of how much pressure you are getting to get on the next load!!B|

4th) Taking people on their first skydive is very rewarding. You will learn how to adapt to all the issues that your size may expose you too. My advice, go through the USPA TI course and then make the determination if you want to continue.
;)
Some day I will have the best staff in the world!!!

You live in Plano, near Dallas. Drive to Skydive Dallas in Whiteright and talk to Mandy Schaffer (if she is still there) She's not too big and from what I hear she is a VERY capable TI.

I'm in Plano, IL...not Plano, TX :P

B|B|B|

That is so awesome that you are thinking about a TI rating!!!B|B|B|

I just received my TI this year and I am 5'10 175 lbs. While I'm larger than you I can describe some of the items that I have had to adapt too.

1st) 50% of my passengers are taller than me. I have found a little extra ground prep and keeping the passenger as relaxed as possible helps in the sky and under canopy. Unless they are huge, height has not been a major obstacle.

2nd) On average my passengers usually are about 10-20 pounds heavier than me. I have found weight translates to toggle pressure the heavier the passenger the higher the toggle pressure. That being said I see several passengers that match your build going on tandems every weekend which would be perfect for someone your size to handle.

3rd) John Mitchell has given good advice about having passengers help you land. I have found on the larger passengers if I don't have them help me land I get worn out quickly. The only draw back is if you do not spend the proper time on the ground teaching passengers how to land you run the risk of having them do something silly when it counts. Rule of thumb; take the time to brief your passengers regardless of how much pressure you are getting to get on the next load!!B|

4th) Taking people on their first skydive is very rewarding. You will learn how to adapt to all the issues that your size may expose you too. My advice, go through the USPA TI course and then make the determination if you want to continue.
;)

I'd imagine that I would be able to discuss my size situation with whatever DZ I was at and let them know that I would prefer people under a certain size...at least until I was more comfortable in my abilities. I don't think they would want to send me up with someone twice my size if anyone was unsure of my ability to land safely. It wouldn't be beneficial to them, the student (their customer), or myself. I still have a long way to go, so I have a while to get everything all sorted out :)

You might also think about your fellow TM's. Instead of a normal rotation of large and small students, they get stuck hauling the big boys while you get to take the small passengers. The job is to take students as they come. I have to work harder to take larger passengers too and it's not like I want to take every big student that walks through the door.

I have met a few very talented smaller instructors, it is very possible to be a TI be small and be a very good instructor. Kim is the one of the most talented skydivers I have ever met. She is phenomenal, I am not a great judge of height but I would say she is maybe 5'5" or 5'6". Kim can take any size of person do 10-15 tandems in a day, pack most all of them(if not all of them) herself, do handycam and land everyone to a stand up(without any help from the student).
In my opinion being shorter just means you have to be more talented and creative than us taller instructors.
Kirk
He's dead Jim

I have to laugh every time I hear about the high toggle pressure on EZ 384s. I guess I might be giving away my age, but after jumping Pioneer Hi-Lifters, PD 421's & PD 360's I couldn't believe how LIGHT the toggle pressure was on 384's when they came out. And I have landed both the Hi-Lifter reserve & PD 360 reserve with no problem as a 5'8" & 130 to 145 lbs female. Granted I did work out.