VincentVL.

Deploying in an outdoor windtunnel

I couldnt see anything going differently until the canopy coming out of the bag and wanting to fly forward and out of the air flow. AFAIK you pick up a little bit of airspeed as you get stood up so the operator might have to crank on the speed a little at that stage of the opening.

Good luck to the person who tries tho.

I fly in Aerodium near Sigulda, Latvia. I thought about this very thing the first time I went there, but the only conclusions I came to was that it would be a very bad thing.

I doubt you would get enough elevation for a normal elevation in the surrounding air, and I'm fairly that the canopy would not lift you straight up, but probably forwards backwards or to the side, depending on your position, so you'd very probably fall off the airstream before you had anything close to normal inflation but plenty of elevation to die or be seriously injured in a fall.

There's also a helluva lot of trees surrounding the tunnel here, and a highway about 50m away, so no real good landing area, either.

I really wouldn't recommend it, and I doubt you'll find an operator anywhere that will let you go anywhere near their tunnel with a canopy.

So what would happen if you got into an open/outdoor windtunnel with your rig on and deployed while flying belly down?

I would bet that you would have a video that would be worth around $500 for appearing on the 'Worlds most shocking accidents' programme

;)

Bodyflight Bedford
www.bodyflight.co.uk

Funny you should ask... A few years ago I was fucking around at an outdoor tunnel in new zeland. They gave us really baggy suits and I weighed all of 125 lbs, so I had to punch it pretty hard to stay near the grate. I decided I was hot shit, sunk all the way down to the grate, and then de-arched as hard as I could to slow down. BAD IDEA!!! Before I could even react, I was 30 feet up in the air, off the air column (which had dissipated at that height anyway), and fell 30 feet strait down into the mat. I was smart/lucky enough to curl up in a ball before impact, and land kind of on my shoulders and back instead of my head.

I'm thinking deploying a canopy would be the same thing on a larger scale, and would likley result in a grizzly death.
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

So what would happen if you got into an open/outdoor windtunnel with your rig on and deployed while flying belly down?

I would bet that you would have a video that would be worth around $500 for appearing on the 'Worlds most shocking accidents' programme

;)

you have the perfect tunnel for rounds... just turn the power down a bit.... :P
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

A have some answers on this..
I'm an instructor in Aerodium wind tunnel (Sigulda, Latvia).
We already did that several times in our wind tunnel, but instead of human body, we used 50 litre water bottle. It was round old type sports canopy (UT-15, Russian made). As some of you already wrote - it is really dangerous to do it, but not impossible. It went up about 20 - 30 meters and then fell of the airstream and landed outside of the Aerodium. I can say, that conapy fully deployed in 3 of 5 attempts. I have some video, so later i can put it on internet..
BS,
reinis
Reinis

"According to our plan considering a world-wide breakthrough we also intend to provide safe simulation circumstances even for opening parachutes following the installation of this machine."

That statement is as serious as the windtunnel itself, which should have opened 2 years ago acc to plans. But at least no one will die (at least not yet):S