borgy

Vegas???????

Just found out that my company is sending me to vegas on "business". I live in aus so I've never been able to get in a tunnel:(, anyone know of a tunnel in vegas??? if so any details would be great.
I only trust two people in this world, one of them is me and the other one aint you.
Nicolas Cage as Cameron Poe in "Con Air"

Yeah I probably wouldn't have time to drive anywhere, is it generally hard to book in for coaching or can you just show up on the day???
I only trust two people in this world, one of them is me and the other one aint you.
Nicolas Cage as Cameron Poe in "Con Air"

From what i hear, it is one of the first public tunnel open for flying, definately worth trying out, i would if i were you :-D

Nigel
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Sponored by NZ Aerosports, CYPRES 2, Tonfly & L&B

Team Dirty Sanchez #232

LOL I'd be too lightweight!

Weight guidelines:
Male Under 6'0" 220lbs.
Male Over 6'0" 230lbs.

Women Over 6'0" 200lbs.
between 5'6" and 5'10" 180lbs.
under 5'6" 160lbs.

This tunnel looks fishy to me though, with the big suits and all?

ciel bleu,
Saskia

This tunnel looks fishy to me though, with the big suits and all?

Fishy.... No...

It was one of the first - the design is not like skyventure. The winds I guess are slower, so you compensate with the suits...

Could you learn, I bet so... Anytime you are in the air you are training your muscle memory to react before your brain thinks about it... Could you learn great 4 way in this tunnel - probably not... I would definately go there to have some fun, for entertainment....

I admit... The farthest I made it in this tunnel is the checkin office area... I was in Vegas - and I was sick. Could not stay out of the bathroom, so I did not think adding flying was a great idea... They seemed like real nice people and a professionally run operation.

You will have the time of your life at Flyaway Las Vegas. I've never met a staff like theirs that takes such a personal interest in making a good time for you. They are the kings and queens of playing w. and playing host to tunnel rats or first time flyers. They love getting skydivers in there.

Scrap the drive to Perris and stay in Vegas, I promise you will NOT be disappointed.

PM me if you have ?'s, need contact info, etc. I've got about 5 hours in there and will be traveling back again in a few weeks. I'm so excited, it is one of my favorite tunnels to fly and they are my favorite staff (aside from my home tunnel boyz who rock the house!).
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

It's a fine wind tunnel for its time -- but it's a very old design that requires those silly looking futuristic sci-fi windtunnel suits.

There are superior designs that are more skydiving realistic, and Flyaway wind speeds are too slow and more like a ride for the whuffos, but I heard it is still a useful training tool for newbie skydivers less than 100 jumps. It's not as skydiving-realistic as the modern newer windtunnels such as SkyVenture.

Still worth a try - at least for a few minutes - you can get a windtunnel fix. The novelty of a windtunnel is fun enough that if Flyaway for a few minutes is your only chance of a first time in a windtunnel, GO FOR IT!

I work at Flyaway Vegas as an instructor so obviuosly I'm bias, but the tunnel is a lot of fun as long as you keep in mind that it is not a skydiving simulator like you Skyventures. As long as you keep that in mind and come in just looking to have a great time then that is exactly what you'll have.
P.S. Borgy if you leave your name and number and when you want to come in I could deffietly hook you up with some discounts for posting this.

Don't disrespect just because you can't hang in my tunnel. Here's to blue skys and cool recirculating tunnels.

The vegas wind tunnel although not the fastest is amazing.

The people there are ginuine, fun, and excited to have anyone come and fly.

I had an awesome time when I went there in Feb. They treated my friend and I like royalty.

Yes it is different than Sky Venture. But it is a challenge. So what if people think its slow. Can you fly slow or is that something that you can work on? Why just be able to fly one way when you can fly so many different ways.

The people there made my trip to Vegas and I believe that they would do that for anyone.

Mother Hen

my first time in the tunnel I was dissapointed. now I go there every thursday.

It i s a tunnel for tunnel flyers. if you expect to go in there and have a fake skydive you are missing the point. you can still fly your body but most people compare it to skyventure.

fortunately for skyventure they had 20 years of technologic break throughs before they build them.

Flyaway is getting some tweekage done so they should be flying a little more efficient by june 7th.

I am still learnign how to sit in the tunnel but if it can keep me in the air most people shouldn't have a problem.

Go See Carly, Brad, one of the 40 kevins that work there. corey,topher, keith K8 and jeremy, bret, mikey.

damn there's alot of fun people that work there!
My photos

My Videos

I was just in Vegas last week for business. Three days and we couldn't get into the tunnel. The problem is they want their last class at 6 pm, and if you are in meetings until 5 or 5:30, you just won't have the time [:/] We were going to bring a group of at least 4, but they didn't want to stay open a little later for us.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I'm sorry you didn't get to fly [:/] I know you would have had a blast. I missed out on flight time because of meetings on a business trip too. It stinks. Make sure to hit it up on your next trip out.

4 flyers isn't much to justify the costs of keeping staff after hours and operating the tunnel. They usually do after hours flights for private parties that rent out the whole facility.
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

itsnot so much that they didnt want to stay open for you.

but it gets pretty hot in there after a full day of flying. like REALLY hot.

we get our tunnel camps going after hours and soemtimes it feels like we're flying in liquid lava[:/]

They are supposed to be getting a bit of tweaking to the motor and rebuilding the A/C this summer. Hopefully they'll be able to keep it open a little longeronce the A/C is juiced
My photos

My Videos

***like REALLY hot.

Yeah, I've got three hours in the Vegas tunnel and I can confirm that it gets very hot in there at the end of a summer day. We were there with some of our co-workers who had never flown, and we were hoping they would have the chance to try.

Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Don't hold me to the date, but in 1982 when the Vegas Flyaway first opened we drove all night to get there from San Diego. They were using the balloon suits right from the first, and they even had an "Old Balloon Suits Wanted" advert running in PARACHUTIST.

No one is thinking of a tunnel/skydiving relationship in those days and they had a lot of injuries early on which forced them to close for most of the 80s because the lawsuits were flying. We were there the day after they opened, and like the O2 masks dropping in the Jet at the Convention; they had a few bugs to work out. But we had a blast in there. The Balloon Suits didn't freak us out as most of us had jumped them at one point and many people were still wearing baggies in the early 80s. We didn't really get it at first and they weren't very good at teaching it so we were flailing around but laughing our butts off.

On the speed, I don't know, but one fellow said the week they were testing it they were flying in it naked – so I think it will crank up – they probably just keep it on a general public fun setting . . .

Oh, and isn't this the second commercial tunnel? I thought Pigeon Falls was older.

NickD :)BASE 194

yes I think the pigeon forge is older but I am not 100% sure.

the speed is good- if I can sit fly in there(shaky but I can sit) than most people can.

I don't know if they have the experience to do it but the speeds will hold most people.

nowawday the training staff are pretty damned good flyers. I don't know if this isin thier favor or not but I like 'em;)

some day I may find myself applying for a job up there again.
My photos

My Videos

Pigeon Forge and Vegas were built at the same time. Forge was supposed to open first but a small fire set them back, so technically Vegas opened first.

The faster the wind is the easier it is to fly...so our wind is slow, it just takes a little more practice to get good at it. But of course I'm biased, I fly about 20-25 minutes a week.
Brad Hess
Manager
Vegas Indoor Skydiving