airdweller

To the tunnel rats

I find it easier to fly in the sky. No walls. I find it easier to do solo flying and work on specific things in the tunnel, but thats probably because solo freefalls bore the heck out of me.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I am NOT a tunnel rat, by far, but I have some skydiving and some tunnel flying experience. It is FAR easier to fly in the sky. There is a much larger margin for error in the sky. So, if you can do it well in the tunnel, chances are that you will be okay at it in the sky, but not necessarily vice versa.
jenn
Tunnel Junkie Since November 2005! ;o)~
TPM #46
Paraclete XP TPM Delegate

My comments are pretty much in line with prior posts:

1) I'm not a tunnel rat by any means, but I do aspire to be one soon :)B) I find it "easier" to fly in the sky, but I find that I often learn more quickly in the tunnel due to the instantaneous feedback provided by the walls

The big difference I find in a sitfly is that in the sky, the fall rate adjusts to whatever your body position needs - and it tends to be faster than in the tunnel. The result (for me) is that the air in freefall seems "firmer" and the response to changes in body position is much quicker/stronger. I am just learning to sitfly in the tunnel, and besides figuring out how much I suck at learning new things, I find that trying to adjust my body position to get enough lift from the available airspeed is a real challenge. I'm definitely not one of these tall/skinny guys that just float off the net like magic! As I gain control, and they give me more airspeed in the tunnel, it will probably get easier, but for the moment, I'm really struggling with it.

from what I understand SVCO runs at a lower percentage than most other tunnels.

when I heard that It didnt make sense to me b/c colorado sits at 5000+ ft msl the air should be thinner there so i thought it would have to run higher.

but if its true that run around 80% than the quiet chamber makes sense
My photos

My Videos

It is more efficient because it's a recirculator. It uses half the power to get same wind speed as the open air models. Colorado is very quite because the return air towers were built with concrete. It's more expensive, but is virtually silent from outside. It's a great design since you can put it anywhere and it will not disturb local businesses and homes. They did a great job with that one..

depending on the tunnel of course... and we're talking IN the flight column

off the top of my head

SV Type - 180 db
Portable Prop type - 150
L1 VWT - 115 db

Wish I had the edit feature longer... what I meant to say was "my best guess would be" not "off the top of my head" these are not factual statistics, just a guess on my part..

I do have outside the air stats but that isnt' what we're talkin about

and we're talking IN the flight column

Yes, of course we are talking about it. Thank you!

One more question. If the noise rate is so high (and it is high!!! The noise rate of the spaceship at the blastoff is 140 dB!!! :o), is there any specially ear plugs that can provide the best noise protection during the long time in the flight column?