lawrocket

Does rain affect the tunnels?

I seriously do not know this answer.

Obviously, the answer depends on which VWT your talking about..
examples

SkyVenture Orlando/Perris - Yes you get wet, No it doesn't hinder operations

Any Indoor Units like Flyaway Pigeon Forge or Las Vegas, no it doesn't affect the tunnel at all

In North Carolina, although outdoors and open, the tunnel at AAC isn't affected because the intake is so far way from the flight area and is filtered, so the flyer doesn't get wet even though it rains all around them.

In the outdoor portables.. the rain can be painful and everywhere, but other than getting the other equipment wet, there shouldn't be a real reason for not flying in the rain. The ones with airbags tend to collect water on the surface and funnel it down to the column.. makes for a water ride really. :)
Although seriously high winds with rain can begin to hinder operations at all the outdoor type tunnels.

Perhaps Paulipod or someone else with more technical knowledge will correct me, but I was under the impression that the re-circulating type which is likely to be used in colder climates shouldn't be affected as the air stays enclosed in the structure.

The open type, like Orlando's Skyventure does get misty, but if it is windy and the rain isn't falling straight down it is better.

tash

edited to note that Dawn got there with more technical knowledge, but thanks for confirming my suspicion that it depends on the design!
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe

It is hard to concentrate when pummelled by rain and getting soaked! Best to wear a turtleneck or neck warmer (they sell them at the Orlando tunnel), cause an unprotected neck will be red and sore from the pelting rain! And of course, a full face helmet too....

You realize that the rain isn't falling down, it is getting pulled upwards at 120mph....not much fun at $11+/minute!:S

mp

Rain, not much, there may be a bit more humidity going on. Fog on the other hand condenses and forms drops in the airstream. Fine for belly flyers with full face helmets (their jumpsuits get a little wet) but with the open face I'm required to wear, I tend to sit or back fly mostly when conditions are like that.....

Not a big deal really.

One other note, when it's wet in the tunnel, slow down and be smooth on your exits. Smoking it to the door only to have your hands slip off the door jam and you end up outside the collum on your face sucks. Be careful.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Quite right Tash... the only possible exception would be if a recirculating tunnel had air intakes for cooling (which is a big consideration) if there were intakes and they were not sufficiently filtered you could get wet.

In addition to a nicer flyer experience, Better also for the tunnels not to get wet! you can save alot of maintenance and issues removing unwanted moisture from all the components.

:)

Bodyflight Bedford
www.bodyflight.co.uk

I spent 2 hours in the tunnel in Perris this past weekend with the torrential rains California had. In all but 2 sessions even though it was raining lightly outside I never got wet. However, in those 2 where it was pouring down the front of my jumpsuit got pretty wet. I wore a full face and a thin neck warmer (it was 50 degrees) and never noticed that I was getting wet until I got out of the chamber.

It just was not a problem.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

I was in the Orlando tunnel with Neal Houston during a tunnel camp evening tunnel session, with Mark Kirkby working with some of the other folks in there with me. The rain was so bad, and so painful, I wanted to stop, but thought, hey, I'm paying for this. Neal, however, asked the tunnel to be shut down until the rain abated a bit. He said that we were paying too much money to be in those conditions. I was most appreciative. Even with a full-face, with nothing on my neck or hands, it was very painful!

Normal customers...I'd imagine that they wouldn't have shut it down, but I really don't know.

I'm walking a marathon to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Click Here for more information!

I seriously do not know this answer.

In the worst case (Perris in rain and very cold like it was at Thanksgiving), it can be like skiing - your face can get pelted with ice.

My face was numb for a good while after the session. Didn't seem to affect me greatly in any other respects, thanks to 2 extra layers of clothing.

I'm sure Renee could offer a few hints about flying in the tunnel when it's raining.

The number one hint would be that if you have a light colored jumpsuit, make sure that you either have shorts on underneath, or the underware aren't a bright color:ph34r:

If the rain is really coming down outside, it hurts! Not to mention how wet you get, thus you get cold. At least we were in Florida, and all the stuff dried out over night and we were ready to go the next morning. Having a full face helmet saved me, and flying during my time with my hands under my chin saved my neck. But other then that, it's fun:ph34r: (Yea, right!)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Well...I can now say that rain in the tunnel HURTS!! Had 30 minutes in the tunnel on Friday. There was about 5 minutes worth of time that the rain stung big time - luckily, it was only my neck that was hurting. However, it took me 3/4 of the day to dry off. :D
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Why do I have a feeling im NEVER going to live that down :$

:D

Im gonna order a suit identical to the one I have, but black in stead of grey in the front :D
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

I can now say that rain in the tunnel HURTS!! the rain stung big time - luckily, it was only my neck that was hurting

I told y'all so!!:P

Best to wear a turtleneck or neck warmer (they sell them at the Orlando tunnel), cause an unprotected neck will be red and sore from the pelting rain!

Now the million dollar question; did you have shorts on under your jumpsuit;)

:D I had stretch pants and a Dropzone.com t-shirt on underneath my jumpsuit. Wasn't warm enough without the rain to go for minimal clothing. :D
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Well...I can now say that rain in the tunnel HURTS!! Had 30 minutes in the tunnel on Friday. There was about 5 minutes worth of time that the rain stung big time - luckily, it was only my neck that was hurting. However, it took me 3/4 of the day to dry off. :D

Thats funny because I was in orlando all weekend. Was at the tunnel all day saturday and had even stopped by on friday. Must have been after you left.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Why do I have a feeling im NEVER going to live that down :$

:D

Im gonna order a suit identical to the one I have, but black in stead of grey in the front :D

Renee, you do know if you get a black jumpsuit, the tunnel guys won't let you in. I heard they were even doing underware checks the other night:ph34r:
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Renee, you do know if you get a black jumpsuit, the tunnel guys won't let you in. I heard they were even doing underware checks the other night

:o:o:o:o:o

Woohoo Im cool, i started a new trend!!! :SB|:ph34r:
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto