alaskaskydiving

Stupidest thing

I gotta hear this one. Without naming names, dz's or accidents "in the news." Whats the stupidest thing you've done or seen another instructor do?
I'll start. I saw an aff lvl one go out the door one time about a half an hour after sunset in a very weak moon period. No shit, it could've been easily declared a night jump. You could barely see the student on landing from less than 50 yards away, wow

Instructors deliberately doing stupid things on jumps are very rare. Every instructor I know takes his/her job very seriously and is extremely conscientious. Whenever there's an incident involving an instructor (like this past weekend), the press scrutiny is intense, and they do read DZ.com. The local press coverage of the latest tandem incident has been about the worst I've seen in its anti-skydiver bias. Do you really want to have a thread that only gives them more food for their slander? I sure don't.

Instructors deliberately doing stupid things on jumps are very rare. Every instructor I know takes his/her job very seriously and is extremely conscientious. Whenever there's an incident involving an instructor (like this past weekend), the press scrutiny is intense, and they do read DZ.com. The local press coverage of the latest tandem incident has been about the worst I've seen in its anti-skydiver bias. Do you really want to have a thread that only gives them more food for their slander? I sure don't.

Hi Andy

You thinking the OP that asked the question is trolling and the lemmings are biting:o

:S:S:S:S:S

R.I.P.

We've all done stupid things on skydives, and yes, we've made mistakes on instructional skydives. Anyone who says not is lying, through there teeth. Sorry the press scrutiny is bad, but you'll get through it, it happens, and skydiving happens, and skydiving accidents happen. Most skydiving instructors are conscientious, some are self centered idiots, just like any other profession, physicians, politicians, and yes, presidents, and they sometimes cause people to die, ever studied LBJ? I hope the press scares the public a bit, maybe they'll stop some of those cowardly tandems from coming out and acting tough, walking away and saying there "not scared." It'l stop the sport from validating this borderline society that wants to deny fear til we hit tragedy, again in this world. Skydiving is for people who accept accidents, imperfection, and the possibility that we, yes may die in this life, yes, death is possible, and it does happen. Use your judgement if you post, but don't create a shadow for our sport, of lies and perfection, like most other industries do.
Skydiving is dangerous, and fuck ups happen
Those stuck in maya, seek to be seen.

We've all done stupid things on skydives, and yes, we've made mistakes on instructional skydives. Anyone who says not is lying, through there teeth. Sorry the press scrutiny is bad, but you'll get through it, it happens, and skydiving happens, and skydiving accidents happen. Most skydiving instructors are conscientious, some are self centered idiots, just like any other profession, physicians, politicians, and yes, presidents, and they sometimes cause people to die, ever studied LBJ? I hope the press scares the public a bit, maybe they'll stop some of those cowardly tandems from coming out and acting tough, walking away and saying there "not scared." It'l stop the sport from validating this borderline society that wants to deny fear til we hit tragedy, again in this world. Skydiving is for people who accept accidents, imperfection, and the possibility that we, yes may die in this life, yes, death is possible, and it does happen. Use your judgement if you post, but don't create a shadow for our sport, of lies and perfection, like most other industries do.
Skydiving is dangerous, and fuck ups happen
------------------------------------------------------------

excellent post

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

aff instructors that spend more time with the talented students, beacause they like them and cold shouldering the ones that are having troubles.

that really pissed me off but i could not do or say anything about it!

[:/]
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I gotta hear this one. Without naming names, dz's or accidents "in the news." Whats the stupidest thing you've done or seen another instructor do?

A proud US based father TI posting about his 4 yo daughter doing a tandem jump with him,
with photos too.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

I once saw a guy spot 2 static line students in the lake and a 15 second delay student at the golf course. Same load, 3 different passes.

I watched the same guy yell at a student over the radio because he wouldn't obey radio commands only to figure out that he was looking at the JM. The student landed in the corn. The canopies looked nothing alike.

Yelling at and chewing out students in front of the whole DZ, making them feel like dirt. I've seen more than one student treated that way just leave the sport. Some have even told me later that abuse like that is the reason they quit. [:/]

You praise in public, criticize in private. Students/customers/people deserve that kind of consideration.

A proud US based father TI posting about his 4 yo daughter doing a tandem jump with him,
with photos too.

What's wrong with that?
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I gotta hear this one. Without naming names, dz's or accidents "in the news." What's the stupidest thing you've done or seen another instructor do?

with photos too.

What's wrong with that?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If USA-based tandem manufacturers hear about it, they will shred his ratings.

If USA-based tandem manufacturers hear about it, they will shred his ratings.

not nessecarily if he didn't do it in the US.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Sorry, my name is Matt Aman, I work, at Skydive Sedona in AZ. I am about to get out of skydiving as a full time instructor after about 7 years. I asked the question cause I am so isolated up here being the only instructor and being on call 7 days a week.
New to dz.com, thanks to the ones who posted

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yup!
Being on call 7 days a week will burn you out quickly.

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

Last year I tried instructing and rigging for three weeks at a time, or a month at a time, or sometimes I just lost count.
I also had to commute between two different DZs in two different provinces. The shortest commute took a minimum of four hours (by the time I drove to the airport, waited for my flight, flew, waited for my ride at the far end, etc.).
By the middle of the summer I was grumpy, short-tempered, over-wrought, had the attention span of a weasel on crack, etc.
Then exhaustion continued until mid-November.
... and the boss was baffled about my irritability. His response was: "But you have the entire winter to rest up."
I spent the winter catching up on gear maintenance and assembling 30 new student rigs.

You have my sympathy brother.