Regan1990

Whats your limits?

Pretty new to tandems, just over 100.

Here at Empuria we go on standby if the wind goes over 23kts. Im happy with that.

Just wondering what your wind limit is and how many you will do a day.

I find 10 plenty right now!
--------------------------------------

Not sure what my wind limit is yet, still pretty new myself...of course I think one's landing area would play a big role in making that decision.

I did take a tall, 255 pound guy out of a cessna once, I landed from that jump and swore never again. The problem was space --- I am 6'2" and he was almost as tall so the two of us were crammed in there which made hooking up overly difficult.

As for the number of tandems, guess it comes down to physical conditioning and mental alertness...I think doing 10 tandems in a day w/o packing would probably be plenty for me too at this stage :)
Rigger, Skydiver, BASE Jumper, Retired TM

I have jumped in clean air as high as 23mph

Thats the kicker for me. At my DZ when the wind gets up even as low as 15mph the wind gets incredibly variable and very gusty. On the rare days that we had steep wind that was clean I've jumped in up to about 27mph. Then again, literally all of my tandems are close to or at the 500lbs total weight simply due to my size.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Hey Guys,

How are you able to specify with such exactness the wind speeds? Do you have wind meters at your dropzones? Just curious. I agree that the direction and consistency of wind plays a big role. Our landing area is very long North to South but not so much East to West, hence cross field winds produce more turbulence.
Rigger, Skydiver, BASE Jumper, Retired TM

My limits are 20 kts.....I have been backwards a couple of times watching the dz go away from me, dodging round hay bails all over the place. I do this as a fulltime job and getting injured is not good for business. There is always later and tommorow:)I am also lucky that I work with a good bunch of experienced TIs who are not afriad of saying no, the winds are to high.
Quinny

We have an electronic wind meter that updates every couple minutes. It gives average speed as well as max and minimun gust speeds during the interval. Its very cool. I still find the best way for me though is to go stand where I'm gonna land and just feel it for a while. We also have such a wide open clean area that I have seen 30mph with less than 3mph variation.

At my DZ when the wind gets up even as low as 15mph the wind gets incredibly variable and very gusty. On the rare days that we had steep wind that was clean I've jumped in up to about 27mph.

this is a good guide - it depends on wind direction, gustiness, and the student

for me: 20-25 mph if the windy is steady and from a "clean" direction - the wind at our place general can come from 1 of 3 directions, one of these is over the hanger and trees, when it is from that direction my limit is 15 and I'll land further away to avoid turbulence

i don't mind landing straight down or backing up, did it for years with T-10s and C-9s, it is an art and a joy being able to back into the peas while the other TIs are landing off the DZ

variances apply based on the student size and physical condition, and the willingness of the video flyer to jump
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

Generally speaking, around 20-25 mph, but it depends on what dropzone I'm at and how gusty it is. At one DZ the wind is usually stable and the landing area is clear and flat, so I'll go higher...backing it in isn't a big deal. At another, the winds are often gusty, the landing area uneven, and a few obstacles closer to the hangar, so I'll sit sooner.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Just wondering what your wind limit is and how many you will do a day.

Depends on where the wind is coming from. Over trees (which are close to LZ) I hesitate at 20.

I end up landing further out if winds are high and across the trees.

How many in a day? 9 is exhausting for me, as we have to walk over 1000 feet per jump out to AC and back.

If we were picked up and ferried back I could do more.

B|

https://www.tdcparole.com

Just recently did my 400th tandem. I'm pretty sure I've jumped in higher winds than the official (BPA) limit as I've been going backwards most of the time. Pretty challenging, and quite mentally draining as you have to be thinking the whole time. I wouldn't like to do it regularly, but as long as it's not gusting, and I have a couple of catchers (shaggers) and spotting I trust, I would jump in the mid-to-high 20's.

I recently broke my personal best for most number of tandems in a day by doing 9 (the most sport jumps I've done in a day is 8 and since I'm a property owner and no longer have that kind of money, and I'm not in a team, I'm unlikely to better that anytime soon!) and then did 8 the next day, all of which I packed myself (although they were mostly done on Hops - small (330 sq ft) canopies with light toggle pressure and easy landings). I didn't feel too bad and felt like (wanted, even) that I could do more, but there were no more to do. Mind you, I get to sit behind a desk for the next five days after that; it would be different if I was doing it every day. Although, I did go out for a 12km run the next day. How much phys do you do Regan? I find it helps me a lot.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Bloody hell Graig! A 12mile run????

I know, i should do more to keep fit, BUT, at this time of year we start at 0830 and finish at 2130, so its a beer or two then food then bed.

I do try to swim between lifts if i get the chance. Plus didnt get day off last week because we had so much work.

I do find the day off makes all the difference.

I am so sorry!!!!

When i was typing the reply i couldnt be bothered looking if he had said miles or kms so i took a guess.....;)

so

Any thoughts on doing tandem one jump then AFF and swapping back and forth? Some instuctors think its a bad idea, others dont mind.

At my last dropzone, I routinely jumped back and forth all day between tandem, AFF, and even some video. I think it's very important to stay sharp on all your skills. That includes both the different airskills and canopy piloting/landing required for both of those two very-different jumps.

When I started doing tandems 20 years ago, Skydive Kangaroo routinely assigned me 8 students per day and expected me to do all my own packing.
I stuck with the 8 per day limit when I moved to the USA, but most American DZs provide packers.
Once, at Hinckley, I did 11 tandems in a day.
However, this summer we have been so busy in Pitt Meadows that I have done 13 tandems on a couple of Saturdays.
For example, this past Saturday, I did 13 tandems, then took my wingsuit on the sunset load. Sunday was almost as busy, with 11 tandems and another wingsuit jump on the sunset load.
What surprised me was how even the junior TIs were able to do almost as many as me. WE owe it all to our fine packing staff: AJ, Marcus, Ricky and Sandra.

My wind limit is 25mph. PERIOD. when the winds are out of a different directions, like out of the west over the tree line I will have a 20mph limit because its very bumpy.
Limits are limits and if I'm gonna say 26 is ok then why not 27 then why have limits. There is nothing worse than being in the air wishing you were on the ground. I"m a lighter TI so the guys have higher limits, I know some of them will jump in 30mph. But they respect my limit.
The students have no idea what"s going on and they rely on us as instructor for there safety.
Limit on jumps for a day....I usally average 7-10 per day during the week and 10-15 each day on sat and sun. 17 tandems is the most I've ever done in one day.
If God wanted man to stay on the ground.
He would of put roots on them instead of feet.
loving life
GO-N-UP