deadwood

Who is the Oldest Active Tandem Instructor?

I'm reaching the age where I wonder how long I should keep doing tandems. (I'll be 54 in a few weeks)

Who is the oldest active tandem instructor out there?
He who hesitates shall inherit the earth.

Deadwood
Skydive New Mexico Motorcycle Club, Touring Division

Last thing I heard, Mr. Jones was still a tandem examiner in Alaska and he must be in his seventies.

Calendar age is at best a vague measure. Health and fitness are far more important.

Heck! I know plenty 20 year olds who will never be strong enough to do tandems.

Bill Brandon at Zhills is in his mid-60s and is way more active than most jumpers in their 20s and 30s. Bill's usually pretty busy hauling tandems or doing AFF every weekend. Actually, we've got a lot of hard-core guys in their 60s and 70s. Our Max is in his early 70s and still jumping hard. We should all be that cool in our 70s!

I had a guy come up from Australia a few years ago to do tandems for me. He looked older than dirt. Jesus, but he was old. Must have been 200, at least. He gave me hope, let me tell ya... He was a pro.

His name was Des, and last I heard he was still doing tandems in Singapore. Then again, being from Australia, he could have been a sundried 25 year old...

Still, I'm pretty sure he was 200.

Mike Spurgeon has made over 1300 tandems this year, he is 65 or 66, over 10,000 jumps. I think over 8,000 tandems!

If Mike's not the oldest active TM out there, he's at least the oldest looking! (and crankiest) ;)

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)