skydived19006

Tandem Canopies Comparison

I have heard people say this about the HOP (the remark about it not handling turbulence well) and in my experience of jumping it I would say that it is no better or worse than any of the others that we have at the DZ I jump at. In fact - tell that DZ to send it to me - I'll put it to some good use for them! I have never had a problem with it - or turbulence that has given me any concern - other than noticing that I was in turbulent conditions. On that basis - I would rather jump it than all of the other canopies because as tandems go its like flying a stiletto and the landings are excellent - either a straight in flare and stand up approach or a 90 degree turn and a bit of a surf. Its not something I'd do with a "buffalo" sized passenger but good to do with the lighter ones.

The HOP is manufactured by a company called JoJOWing, from the Czech republic http://www.jojowing.com/index.php

If I had a complaint about it - it would be that because of its radical handling characteristics - if you get a mal on it, its like having one on any elliptical canopy, ie it winds up real fast and it means that you have to be sharp at dealing with it.

Someone mentioned the issue of having spectralines on SET tandem canopies. Beside the issue of replacement line sets, if you get line tension knots they tend to get sawn off by the other lines... I had five lines look like they had been hot knifed on one opening, all cut clean through.

regards

Mick Cooper

The HOP is 330 square feet and fun to fly and the 12 tandem rigs we use all year round here work just fine.

There were issues with turbulence re the initial and early model HOPS but we don't have a problem at all with what we use now.

Our environment consists of beach landings in three locations 7 days a week with varying wind conditions, thermals etc. I would rather a HOP than any other canopy!

BSBD! -Mark.

"A Scar is just a Tattoo with a story!!!"

There were issues with turbulence re the initial and early model HOPS but we don't have a problem at all with what we use now.

Could you describe the difference between early and current models of HOP?

I would rather a HOP than any other canopy!

What kind of other tandem mains have you tried?

Robert

Apart from the HOP I have also jumped Set, Icarus and Gyro canopies. I also jumped other Tandem canopies just after gaining my rating but at a point not really with enough Tandem Canopy experience to comment on these.

Keeping in mind that most Tm's out there would be somewhat biased in the canopies they fly this is my opinion only. We also have 3 other tm's here with over 10,500 jumps who swear by the Hops as well.

With regard to the rare main mal none of our tm's has ever really had a problem getting off them.

BSBD! -Mark.

"A Scar is just a Tattoo with a story!!!"

Dont see much mention given to the A2. We just bought a couple and everyone who flies them now says that these are without a doubt the best all round tandem main they have flown. We have what can be a choppy area for flying canopys so was hesitant about buying the more high performance mains as in my experience thay have all been prone to severe bounce n end cell closure in turbulence. The A2 nails the openings everytime are fly like your own canopy and are solid in chop. When I come to buy more Im not going to hesitate in picking up the A2 (the smaller of the two sizes is picked up more than the 390).

Add also Performance Variable Contrail 390.
It seems that is a good one also.

Good for packing on a hot day. (easy)
Toggle pressure is higher than an EZ (and less responsive) but you get used to it. Using the 2-stage flare works ok for me also with 100kg passengers

This is my list

1) BT80
2) Next/Twin
3) Contrail
4) EZ

Well my DZ only has BT80 and Contrail
I only flew the Sigma and Icarus a couple of times. First impression: About equal to BT80 but I have not enough experience with these canopy's
Never jumped strong, but as they say the set400 is a copy of the BT80 I would like to try a set400 ance (Only packed in a vector or vector copy as I do not have a strong rating)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habit,
Especially when you are jumping a sport rig

My order of preference:

Aerodyne A2
Sigma 370
Icarus 365
Hop 330
EZ
Set 400
BT80
Paratec Twin

I prefer the all round capabilities of the A2, closely followed by the very similar Sigma 370.

If I had to jump the Paratec Twin all day I would give up doing tandems.......:S

Bryn
Journey not destination.....

I jumped the HOP last weekend.

Not enough yet to give my full opinion, however the first jump was nice, flys well and has excellent toggle pressure and very manouverable. Flare is light & very positive.

feels like a Stiletto. I am going to take various sized passengers this Friday to see how it performs in all conditions.

I checked into getting a demo HOP, they suggested I buy one and if I don't like it return it. I guess it's a demo with a $2000 deposit. No thanks, if that's the policy, I'll just stick with my Icarus!

Martin
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

That's funny, if I'm ever in Europe it'll be a vacation. I run a DZ (which means I don't get to take vacations anyway), skydiving isn't generally what I do when on vacation. I'm happy with Icarus, I'd like to check out some of the many others now available, but if they can't get me a demo, screw em!

Martin
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

I checked into getting a demo HOP, they suggested I buy one and if I don't like it return it. I guess it's a demo with a $2000 deposit. No thanks, if that's the policy, I'll just stick with my Icarus!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

That huge deposit is probably related to the hassle of shipping stuff across borders.
Icarus used to have similar policy.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

That huge deposit is probably related to the hassle of shipping stuff across borders.
Icarus used to have similar policy.

You’re absolutely right about all the customs issues, and I understand. That said, it would be smart I would thing that if they’re interested in selling canopies in the US market that they build at least a small dealer network over here. If they had a few demo canopies circulating this country it might make it easier to sell to us. PD, and Precision, (a few other small players) are basically the only canopy manufacturers in the US of A. I would be that most skydivers don’t even realize that Icarus is in Spain, that Aerodyne (PISA) is in South Africa, etc.

Guess I’ll have to purchase either Precision Tandem mains, or PDs Sigma since customs are such a problem?

Are there any canopy manufacturers in Canada or Mexico? With the North American Free Trade Agreement it should be like shipping out of California. I'll stop at that, I'm starting to push the political.

AC DZ

You’re absolutely right about all the customs issues, and I understand. That said, it would be smart I would thing that if they’re interested in selling canopies in the US market that they build at least a small dealer network over here. If they had a few demo canopies circulating this country it might make it easier to sell to us. PD, and Precision, (a few other small players) are basically the only canopy manufacturers in the US of A. I would be that most skydivers don’t even realize that Icarus is in Spain, that Aerodyne (PISA) is in South Africa, etc.

Guess I’ll have to purchase either Precision Tandem mains, or PDs Sigma since customs are such a problem?

Actually Aerodyne Research is an American company, a Florida Corporaton. We do do our manufacturering in South Africa, at Aerodyne Systems (pty) ltd. (PISA no longer exists). However as an American Customer, you are buying and being delivered to by a Florida company, this is also where all of our post sale service takes place and the majority of repairs, you will never have any contact with anything customs related. We do all the leg work. And the prices of all our gear, reflect the total you pay.

We are not the only ones who operate this way. For instance PD does a portion of their manufacturing in Honduras, as the warning lable states, but they handle all the import for their customers the same as we do.

For international customers outside of the US. The distributor usually deals with customs, if you order direct from Aerodyne, than you have to handle customs, usually it isn't a big deal, depending on the country.

Aubrey
"Those who say it cannot be done, should not interrupt those who are doing it"

Just to let you know, we have A2 389 and A2 350 demo's available, for demo in the US only (from the manufacturer, in some other countries distributors own demos), there is usually a few week wait, as they are gaining popularity, but we just got them all back with fresh relines for the season.

Check with Sandy Kimball: [email protected] to arange an Aerodyne tandem demo, actually any Aerodyne demo product for that matter.

Regards,

Aubrey
"Those who say it cannot be done, should not interrupt those who are doing it"

You can contact Jump Shack to demo a Tandem Firebolt. American made and based in Deland,Florida as well.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Confucious say,

"The harder it is to get the best item, the better that item often is."

Confucious said a lot of shit but I know he never had to do 10 tandems in a day.:D
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I have 12000 jumps 6500 tandems 4000 on hop's they are the best tandem canopy I've ever jumped. The early protos were not good in turbulance but this problem was fixed a long time ago, airfoil and angle of attack at the wingtip was altered. These canopies are just like flying a sports canopy always had stand up landings with these canopies