gabriele

Fear of jumping again

Dear to all,
I don't know if fear is good or bad but the fact is that now I have fear!! I have ever thought that a little fear helps you not to do crazy things, but I always controlled fear. Now last August I took my AFF course (and completed it in 6 jumps) because I have ever been in love with air sports, and skydiving is a certain kind of King in this area. After having finished AFF I couldn't jump for 3 months (because of my work) and when I tried it again...well....I had fear (maybe because of all the fatalities reports I read) and I didn't do it. Everyone said me sometimes it happens. So I decided to jump with a very experienced jumpmaster but I couldn't do it again. I took one more chance to try it deciding I would haven't tried it again if I couldn't jump. At this last trial I felt totally frozen when I went to the door. I feel good when I'm in the aircraft but I freeze when it's time to jump!
Anyone have ever been in the same situation?
Now I dreamed till now of jumping again and fly, but I'm worried about my fear. I know knowledge is the first therapy so I studied a few complete manual but I also know theory is one thing, practice is another....
What do you think? Should I try it again or skydiving is not my sport?
Have someone got any advise that would help me passing through this difficult (at least for me) situation?
Thank you to all

It isn’t easy to overcome this kind of fear. If you really want to fly again it has to happen first in your head. You may laugh about what I'm about to write but give it a shot. When you go to bed before you're asleep start your dream.
Imagine getting ready for your jump. Turn on the cypress, check your gear, go to manifest and sign on. Wait for the call. Imagine your ride up until the ready sign is given and than let yourself fall into the empty space of the sky. Do a 360 or anything else you like to do. Check your alt. Look down and around. Get the feeling for your speed. Enjoy being free!!! When it’s time to pull – arch reach and throw it out. Look how your chute opens – the slider is coming down – smooth opening and start your decent. Get ready for a tip toe landing – touch down – you made it and you see yourself with a huge smile on your face.
Now if you fall asleep before the landing you might have a problem that is within your mind or you are exhausted and you simply passed out :-) .
Don’t quit –try again and try to figure out where you have the knot.
Good luck and don’t worry – if you really want to fly again you will be up there very soon.
Blue ones
Phil

Being nervous after a lay off is natural. I once new a girl who went threw AFF minus her graduation jump and then had to miss a month. When she came back she would not get out of the plane. Hell, I even still get nervous after a lay off and I have been jumpning for years. The best advice I can give you is to make up your mind before you go up that you are going to jump and do not give yourself time to change your mind when the door opens. If you get out once you will be ok.
William

Hey that kind of fear is natural. I would say go do a Tandem or two. Fear is ok to have, infact it's vital to have, you only seem to have lost a bit of confidence in your ability. Happens every now and then. The tandem free fall would refresh your memories and may help you get back your confidence slowly. Just go with it and enjoy it. You'll be back into it before you know.

Just went through this myself after 6 months on the ground. My thing was getting out to the dz - I came up with a million things that really needed to get done at home, I "got sick" (I was sick, but I think 75% of it was mental), anything to keep from going out and jumping. Finally got myself out to the dz and up in the air. The first one was tough, but once I was out the door it was all good again, and the second one was much easier.
How to get past the fear? Just do it! What I found very helpful is mental preparation. Like Phil said, dream it! Instead of thinking about what "could" happen, concentrate on the good things - the sheer joy of being in freefall. Remember how good it feels? Yeah... Visualize perfect skydives - you're in the door feeling that fear but you break through it and go fly, the skydive is great, you're flying well and loving every second of it, you pull on time and have a perfect smooth opening, you fly that canopy down to the target for a perfect stand up landing. Do this repeatedly - at home, in the car, on the ground at the dz, on the climb to altitude.... sounds silly but it really does work.
Worried about a malfunction? Visualize a mal and your perfect emergency procedures in reaction to it. No big deal right? You know how to pull those handles even if you've never done it.
Another area to work on is relaxation. Ever meditate or do yoga or have a baby? If you have then you know how to do relaxation breathing; if not, find someone who knows or buy a book and learn it. You can control your anxiety level by simply focusing on your breathing for a few minutes. Takes practice on the ground beforehand but it does work - I can go from all worked up to calm and collected in the space of two or three minutes of controlled breathing with my eyes closed. I've used this many times in the plane - when I've been grounded too long or when my performance on the skydive is vitally important.
I highly recommend the book Mental Training for Skydiving and Life by Dr. John (available from most major gear dealers). The techniques he teaches in this book are incredibly helpful for controlling the fear and anxiety that's keeping you in the plane.
Good luck! And be sure to come back and let us know just how awesome your next jump is.... I KNOW you can do this! :)pull and flare,
lisa
--
life's a bitch.. and so am I

Running from the fear is definitely not the solution. You can't let it tell you what to do. A little fear is what keeps us alert. You need to be a little afraid so that you respect the sport. I would take a few observer rides on some jump runs and just go to the door and look out. It's a good way to work into it again.
To experience flight, you need to be in the air, not in the plane. Jump and be free.

I was on a lift last year and a fellow student asked one of the experienced guys if they are still scared of jumping. The reply was that the fear changes from the initial fear of jumping from a plane to fear of not progressing fast enough, and them to the fear of missing points.
But basically if your not scared there is something wrong with you.
I find that I'm ok of the first jump of the day but the second one scares the shit out of me and after that its ok (most I've managed is 3 in a day).
To be honest, I'd rather jump from a plane than do a bungee jump or go on some roller coasters.
Nick

Confidence in the equipment is a big thing. Make sure to learn as much as you can about the gear. Especially what kind of abuse it can take, operating limits, etc. This may get some of that fear out of your mind as you realize how "over engineered" the equipment is. Now, when you start Free Flying this may have the opposite effect...:)"I got some beers....Let's Drink em!!!"
Clay

the fear changes from the initial fear of jumping from a plane to fear of not progressing fast enough, and them to the fear of missing points.

Boy if that isn't a perfect summation. I'm at stage two right now. :P
"Zero Tolerance: the politically correct term for zero thought, zero common sense."

>What do you think? Should I try it again or skydiving is not my sport?
That's up to you. Skydiving's a dangerous sport, and everyone decides whether the risk is acceptable or not. Fear is a natural thing, and it's actually kind of sensible for your brain to try to _keep_ you from jumping out of a plane. The only time I'd say that your fear means that you shouldn't jump is if it causes you to "lock up" and not function when you need to. Fortunately, that's rare.
Some suggestions if you want to overcome it:
1. Drill, drill and drill. If you drill enough, the actions become automatic. It's how they get soldiers to march into a hail of bullets (and, come to think of it, jump out of airplanes as well.) Make it as realistic as possible - get a "real" mockup (like the Otter fuselage the Ranch has) wear a rig and practice getting out a dozen times.
I notice this on our students. We drill enough so they go on automatic when we say "Get in the door!" Afterwards, they usually say that the worst part was watching everyone else exit, because they didn't drill for that.
2. Go through it in your head, trying to see very clearly where you put your feet, what you see out the door etc. Similar to 1) but easier.
3. Spend some time on airplanes. If you have a large plane and a willing DZO/pilot, spend some time flying right seat to get used to the plane ride - one less thing to worry about.
-bill von

<< I notice this on our students. We drill enough so they go on automatic when we say "Get in the door!" Afterwards, they usually say that the worst part was watching everyone else exit, because they didn't drill for that.
I couldn't agree more. I get more nervous watching others exit than anything else. Once it's your turn, there are more important things going through your mind than thinking about a fear of heights.
If you're not having fun, what's the point

Your first jumps are easy, you're less scared of dying or screwing up than you are of wimping out and not jumping. Humans will do the stupidest things because not doing so would be embarassing.
But once you have a couple jumps under your belt, you have nothing to prove so you think about the jump itself. That's when things really get scary.
What helps me is to get mechanical. Don't emotionalize the jump, break it down to the technicals. Visualize what you're going to do over and over, then when it comes time you just do Step A while mentally going over Step B.
Moving to the exit, you think about how you're going to exit.
As you exit you think about how you're going to stabalize after the exit, etc.
If you're thinking one step ahead all the time you don't have time to worry over your current task. You just do now what you planned a few secs ago. No thought on the current process, just acting out The Plan.
Most of my jumps I even have totally planed out on the ground. I know exactly how I'm going to land before I step onto the plane. Hell, I've even dirt dived my canopy approaches :)

How about setting yourself a slightly smaller challenge first? It seems like you are really fixated on skydiving and are hyping yourself up - perhaps putting a bit too much pressure on yourself and causing brain-lock. I got scared off skydiving in 1993 (went through lines on my 11th jump after dumping unstable). Anyway I was in Vegas in 1999 for a wedding. There is a bungi jump platform there (next to Circus Circus) - I told myself that if I could do two bungi jumps (sober) then I could try becoming a skydiver again. I was scared shitless but I did it. That then helped motivate me and gave me the confidence to do AFF. I will always be grateful to myself for making those two bungi jumps because now I can't imagine a life without skydiving. It has already given me more than it could possibly ever take away even if my next jump was my last (for whatever reason and without being morbid).
Anyway, maybe bungi jumping isn't for you, but maybe some other challenging non-skydiving activity (eg rock climbing) could give you a confidence boost. Maybe you even end up enjoying the other activity more than skydiving, it could happen, really it could, really, uuuh..... ;)
Will

I did a bungi jump from a hot air balloon and that is definitely worse than exiting a plane. The fear of heights is much more apparant and there aren't any second chances or reserves.
That's like saying: try BASE if you are scared of heights. I don't think less altitude would do any good for me if I were afraid of heights.
If you're not having fun, what's the point

Personally, I'm scared to death of heights and it took me a while to become comfotable with jumping. A little different for me, though, since I did a SL progression, I started low and worked my way up to "normal" altitude. But I definately feel a whole lot better up high then I do low.
Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.-General George Patton-

I have two thoughts on this. First in my job, I have instructed hundreds maybe even thousands of people on rappeling. 9 out of 10 times when I got those people at the top of the 60' tower for their first long rappel their eyes were the size of dinner plates. Some would stay silent and follow the directions and complete their rappel. Some would let me know EXACTLY how terrified they really were. I found it to be extremly successful to say to them "I would rather have someone up here that is scared then not. The scared ones are the careful ones and I know you will be safe. By you being scared, I know you will be allright. The boneheads that think they know it all and come up without a care in the world are the ones that scare me. They arn't careful." This would seem to relax the person because now they realize that it is totally normal to think it is wrong to step backwards off of a 60' tower. So it is your decision whether or not you jump again. But if you do and when you get that fear thing going, just tell yourself this is good, here's how I arch, here's how I reach, here's how I pull.
Second, when I went to Airborne School in the Army, I remember doing the Airborne Shuffle to the door (it's not a dance) thinking I can't believe I'm doing this, I can't believe I'm doing this, I can't believe...AAAAHHHHHH!!!!! one-thousand, two-thousand, three-thousand, four-thou..Woomph! Canopy inflation! They told us to stay quiet in the air but I couldn't help but yell with excitement! (Neither could anyone else and we payed with push-ups. Oh well, strong minds, strong bodies LOL) Anyway the whole point is that you were shuffling to the door with people in front of you and people in the back and you just kept the flow going. If I had had time to stop and contemplate, maybe I would have froze in the door. Of course back then I would have probably had a little friendly persuasion by some crusty-weather-beaten-hard-as-a-rock-black-hat-wearing-jumpmaster. Who used a great training aid commonly known as the Kiwi Injection. (I don't think they do that anymore, wouldn't want to upset mommy or the congressman) I agree with everyone about the tandem. Having that little extra push out the door might also push you past that bone-locking fear.
Besides with the time you have been off, (and I am assuming you have an "A" license) by the SIM Manual paragraph 4.25C you have to do: 1 IAD or Static line jump, 1 five second freefall, 1 ten second freefall, all under the direct supervision of a current and appropriatley rated instructor. This would be like a jump-refresher for you. You would spend more money but, if you love this like I do it will be money well spent.
I only have 128 skydives, but I think the day I stop getting butterflys in my stomach is the day I should skip the load and sit back and remind myself what I am doing.

Gabriele, if you can muster it up, I'd give it another go. You can do it. Here are some things that really helped me get back into it after a long time out (and a scary level 4 jump):
Visualization - as Skybytch and a few others mentioned. This works like magic. Visualize the entire, successful skydives from gear up to walking off the field with a hugh smile on your face. Smile the whole time you do this and relax. Talk to your self, "Man, this is awesome, I just love this". You can't do enough visualization
Skydiving videos (real ones, not hollywood) - watch'm over, and over, and over again. Use this as part of your visualization.
My palms used to get all clammy when I even thought about skydiving or saw videos. I found that the visualization & vids combo really helped me in getting back into it. Now I just pee my pants only the first jump of the weekend.
Once you get past this stage, you will overcome such an incredible challenge - this will be with you the rest of your life.
Cheers,
NewGuy B|

7 jumps to pass my AFF. Everyone was a sleepless night. Jump 8 was my solo and was one month after jump 7. It took everything I had to go out. Jump number 9 was easier and jump 10, I did a somersault out, went on my back and watched the next guy come out of the plane and the fear was pretty much gone. Much of your fear will go away after your next jump and you will sing all the way home! You need to do this for yourself...go for it!

Instead of thinking about the fear, think about the sense of satisfaction you get as your main opens and you take in the view around you. Then again the satisfaction after you land on your feet. It's a great sense of accomplishment. When I went through AFF my friend and I drove three hours to the dz; these were three hours of anxiety and, well... fear. For me that fear has been replaced with fun. Where I was scared now I'm having a blast. Now as soon as I touch down I'm ready to go again ASAP. If its something you really want to do again you'll convince yourself to and along with jumping more will come more confidence and less fear. Good luck, be safe,
Mark

I freeze at home and have trouble getting to the dz sometimes .Once Im at the door I clear my mind and just jump. Im fine at the door.
All I can say is that you have to love Skydiving for what it is and do not jump because you like the idea of it,but jump because you love it. If you love it you will overcome your fear and be what you wre meant to be......a skydiver. It is all about you in skydiving not what others say or do. Fear is normal for all levels of jumping. If you do enough jumps the fear will be less intense..hang in there.....
The longer you wait ........the more sense you get.