AggieDave

The TM workout aka "Training for tandems"

The last half of this week I've been sitting through a TM cert course (RWS) so I could become an evalutator and for my own benifit (no matter how many you have, it helps to relearn things). Well, during the course I found out that not a lot of TMs can rear riser their tandems (no, not landing, just for turns and such just after opening). I guess I just really take this for granted.

Well, I sat down and developed a TM workout to help all TMs with strength and endurance in the muscle groups that take the most beating while acting as a TM.

The groups trained in this workout is the chest, the delts, the abs, lower back, triceps, biceps, and upper legs. This is what I thought was most important for acting as a TM, by thinking what groups take the most abuse.

This is broken into a 2 day workout, so it is very simple and doesn't take a lot of your time training each week (not everyone can lift/workout 4+ days a week:P).

The workout is setup with the excersize first and followed by SetsxReps

• Day 1:

1. Flat Bench Press (bar or dumbell) 4x10
    2. Leg Extensions 5x10
    3. Leg Press 5x10
    4. Back Extension -or- straight leg deadlift 5x10
    5. Crunches (aka an Ab workout) 5x25

• Day 2:

1. Seated Shoulder Press (bar or dumbell) 4x10

2. Rear Delt Flies 4x10

3. Seated Preacher Curls 4x10

4. Cable Pressdowns (rope attatchment) 4x10
    5. Cable "Flares" 4x10

"Cable Flares" is not a normal excersize, nor is it done in any sort of traditional form. You perform this excersize at a tricept cable pull station (same place as the cablre pressdowns), using the rope attatchment. Graps both ends of the rope in one hand and stand directly under (even slightly infront of) the pully. Pull down with one hand as if you were flaring a canopy. Do the same with both hands. Thus the 4x10 is 4 sets per hand 10 reps each.

The set/rep structure is setup in which you shouldn't be able to perform the last rep of the last set without assistance (aka a spot). If you don't need help on the last rep (or even couple reps) you're using too little weight and not working hard enough.

If you have any questions about the workout or how the excersizes are performed, please ask. If you have any suggestions feel free to comment.
    --"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Nice! Great suggestions, AggieDave! My gym also has a cool Cybex station with long arms that are adjustable. I can set it up so that both handles are above my head and about the right distance apart to simulate risers. All the muscleheads think I'm nuts as I'm doing the "not yet, not yet, not yet... Flare, Flare, Flare."

Another great tool for those without gym memberships is an exercise ball. You can buy them all over the place now, and they usually come with a little book of exercises (or you can find those all over the place, too). Once you've mastered push-ups with the ball under your legs, you can try doing pushups with your hands on the ball. (Do it against a wall, first.;)) You can also work your low back, do tons of different ab exercises, and with the addition of some dumbbells, the options become virtually limitless. Plus-- you can use the ball as a sit-fly trainer, thus making it a tax deduction if you're a coach.:D

The only "machines" in my workout is the leg press and the tricep pull station. Everything else is basically freeweights. I don't really believe in machines for workouts.:P

Pullups are a great way to go, they work so much of your body.

Do you do anything for your lowerback or abs?

Anyone else have any suggestions or anything for the workout I've listed?

Or does anyone have a different workout that they would suggest to work on the specific muscle groups used while being a TM?

Do you do anything for your lowerback or abs?

Ever tried doing dead lifts for your lower back? Dont go all out mad, just enough weight to work that group out. You might also want to add squats to the leg routine, barbell lounges are also pretty good. You might also want a trainer or someone to show you the proper form with squats, lounges and especially dead lifts. Also with your ab workout try to hit that group with two types of exercises, crunchs and lets say reverse crunches. Do that for a few weeks then change the routine. For pull-ups try going wide grip those hit your back pretty good. Hows your diet and are you gettin enough sleep?

Me personally, definately, that's one of the reasons why I put straight-leg deadlifts in the workout.

My personal workouts are much more intense then the one I posted and its built around the big 3, bench, squat and deadlift. Not only that, but they're all done with atleast a few plates on the bar.;)

I was more asking you if you did anything else besides pullups in your personal routine, and asking if you had any suggestions for the workout I listed.

The workout I designed and posted was created for TMs that don't workout and may need something to help them protect their body from injury and give them added strength to handle their tandems (canopy, etc).

Looks like a good workout Dave - I'm only a newbie so have no idea of the stress a TM goes through but I am writing some similar workouts for elite surfers currently.
    The only thing i would stress, ESPECIALLY for people who maybe don't work out much, is to finish this at least 48 hours before you jump the first few times to let your body recover, and stretch a lot, otherwise the risk of muscle/ tendon/ ligament damage will increase rather than decrease.

Molto respecto for you TM's carting around passengers though!!:P
    Never try to eat more than you can lift

I used to lift weights, but they were just to heavy for me! Hadn't thought about it but I do correct with rear risers after opening on tandems. I only jump Icarus tandem canopies (have 2-365s, and one 330), way easier than doing the work out bit.
    Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

Reps = repetitions - number of times yu do each exercise. Sets - repetitions are grouped into sets so if you have 3 sets of 12 reps, you would do 12, then have a rest, then another 12, then have a rest, then another 12.
    Never try to eat more than you can lift

I am the same re no weight training. I used to play heaps of sport (5+ nights per week) and after moving up to Queensland did nothing for some time and fully expecting to put on weight.

Just doing regular Tandems (7 days a week) tends to keep you in shape enough to have no problems and I have actually gained nothing in the weight department. Nothing like hanging off one riser after opening to face the sun for the handcam reaction or both to get back from a long spot. Usually with the later though it is a rare event and you dump 1+ grand higher to help!!

BSBD! -Mark.

"A Scar is just a Tattoo with a story!!!"

Nothing like hanging off one riser after opening to face the sun

Why, none of the tandem canopies I've jumped had rear riser pressure high enough to matter. Even the EZ-384 and the RWS tandem reserves aren't that high, its nothing to grab a riser and quickly turn.

Anyone else have any suggestions or anything for the workout I've listed?

It's an awesome plan. I love cross over cables and preacher curls. Nothing gets the entire arm like the cables.
    Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

As you "should" know most canopies have different characteristics.....and in the case of (personal not tandem gear) a bt pro series for example the rear riser pressure is more for the same movement in the BT than say a stiletto.........

Daily we use HOPS which happen to be the nicest canopies I have flown. The others need (in nil wind at least!!) some sort of 30+ degree turn into wind to get the lift/drive/flare required to obtain a good landing from the evidence I have been shown thus far!

So yes the hops do have "some" rear riser pressure but I prefer them to ANY canopy on the market today!!!

Flame away! BSBD! -Mark.

"A Scar is just a Tattoo with a story!!!"

I do a very general workout three days a week, but have added a few specifically for doing tandems.
    General Workout - I do three laps of the weight machine, 10 reps at each exercise. I've been doing it off and on for about 12 years now, and I really do feel better when I'm "on".

Tandem Specifics: 1) I do a lot of pulldowns. Three different kinds. One was modified to look and feel more like flaring. I got tired of the big guys "helping" me flare, and do all the landings myself now.
    2) I do a pull that simulates tightening the laterals - I stand with my back to a pulley about elbow high, and pull outward. Again, I feel better doing it myself than having the student help.
    3) I sit in front of the same pulley I do upright rows and curls with. With my legs straight out in front of me, I hook the bar over my toes, with my heels against a board (as a stop). Pull your toes toward your knees. That helps when you have students stand on your feet while you adjust the harness after opening.

When I started working out, I spent some time with a fitness coach to learn how to work the equipment, and get a balanced workout. I'd recommend that to anyone starting out. That would also be a good opportunity to tell them what hurts after a weekend of tandems, or what you'd like to be able to do better. Most can help you develop a workout to target those areas.

I use an amount of weight that is challenging but not painful. When it starts to get easy, I do a few more reps for a couple sessions, then increase the weight, and be prepared to back down on the number of reps per lap.