skreamer

Hop n pop - cypres

This past weekend the two Cat. 8s on the load turned theirs on, the three Cat. 10 jumpers (self included) preferred to leave ours off - exit altitude was '3 500.
If you were doing a low lob from say '2 200, would you turn your cypres on or not?
If so, why so
If not, why not
etc. etc.
Will
"Don't die until you're dead"

My own kit - I would turn it on - someone elses as I jumped that day......... I turned it off....... why - coz I dont know how much the canopy was going to snivel - as it happens it snivelled about 1,000ft............ god I love that Crossfire opening!!!.................
bsbd
PS) sorry about the shallowish spot!!!..........
bloody windy!!
"In a world where we are slaves to gravity I am pleased to be a freedom fighter"

Assuming you are planning to clear and pull (say less than 3 sec delay) from 2200, I'd leave it on (and I have done several times). You'll probably not exceed the required vertical speed to fire a cypres at any time, and even with a slow-opening canopy, you'll be in the sadle by 1500ft.
When people talk about regular 1000ft openings on a Spectre, Crossfire, whatever -
(1) they're generally mistaken, and the total deployment height is much shorter - see several other recent discussions on this.
(2) they're talking about terminal deployments. Canopies deploy with much less altitude loss when deployed sub-terminal. If you have a lower airspeed then the slider will descend quicker.
just MHO.
Geoff

OK, but since there is no chance of being knocked out in freefall, why turn the cypres on? Is it a security blanket or are you concerned about bumping your head on the exit? Or is it just habit to always jump with your cypres turned on?

More a habit I guess. I thought most people leave them on! As long as your capable of a good exit and pulling within 3 secs, there should be no risk of a cypress fire.
And, if for some reason your out at say 1k, you will be out on your reserve anyway.
But, yes I do get your point about being knocked out. It's highly unlikely.
I'd still have mine on.

And, if for some reason your out at say 1k, you will be out on your reserve anyway.

Who says!!!.................
I would go on my main................ oh I have done!........ but that was a 1200 ft exit so I had more altitude I suppose................ but that got eaten up with my 2 second delay!!!!.............. ;op
who says a reserve will work!!!!........... I dont want to tempt fate like that.............. rather use my first option and see what happens...........
bsbd

"In a world where we are slaves to gravity I am pleased to be a freedom fighter"

OK, but since there is no chance of being knocked out in freefall,

Huh? Why not? You could hit your head on the plane, something like a loose helmet could chase you out the door, you could have some sort of freak condition where you can't pull.
Whether or not you use a Cypres for hop-n-pops is up to you, but don't think that because you're getting out low and solo that there's no chance you'll be in a position where you can't pull.
-
Jim

>Simple decision, if an AAD is installed, turn it on.
>If you don't want to turn on the AAD, stay on the ground.
Not quite sure of your reasoning on this one. I've done intentional cutaways and turned off my cypres because I wanted to reduce the possibility of a three-canopy-out problem. I was once very happy that I decided to take my backup rig, the one that does not have a cypres. Had I not had that rig, I would have turned off my cypres for that jump as well.
-bill von

>If you were doing a low lob from say '2 200, would you turn your cypres on or not?
>If so, why so
>If not, why not
>etc. etc.
If it were already on I'd leave it on. If it were off and I was only going to do the one jump I'd leave it off, and save the wear and tear on the battery. If I planned to jump again that day from freefall altitudes I'd turn it on so I didn't forget later.
-bill von

I believe I addressed that with

are you concerned about bumping your head on the exit?

As for a loose helmet chasing me out of the plane and knocking me out? Realistically I rate the chances of that happening as high as being knocked out by a bird strike. Not that you mentioned it, but anybody who is worried about not being able to pull because of fainting in freefall, shouldn't be jumping in the first place either.
Will

I would always leave it on. I don't want to get into games over when they should be turned off. There's just too many variables for anyone that's not of Bill Von's knowledge to consider.
If I'm getting out below 2000 feet, I'm going straight for the reserve. If I get out at 2,2 and it snivels, I'll be real quick to chop.
Notwithstanding airplane emergencies, the lowest I'll jump with a sport rig is 2500. In Illinois where most student "hop and pop's" are done from at least 4, that's pretty low.
The whole point is kinda moot because it's rare that we jump 182's in this neck of the woods. It's often tough to put togeather enough people to fill the minimums on Otters for hop & pops.
_Am
MSN Messenger: andrewdmetcalfe at hotmail dot com
Yahoo IM: ametcalf_1999

I dont think i would get out at @ 2200 im not that desperate for a jump. If i cant get at least 3000k ill just wait it out.
But lets just say i was going to get out at 2200 i dont think i would want my cypress on. I love my canopy to snivel, and sometimes that cypress might go off early so i wouldnt want it on. And frogeting to pull your reserve. I dont think i could forget that important step to saving your life. Your basic survival instinct should take care of that.
Blue Skies
Joe
"When they say jump you say how high" RATM

I dont think i would get out at @ 2200 im not that desperate for a jump. If i cant get at least 3000k ill just wait it out.

you dont jump in England then!!!
bsbd

I've seen the situation. Cypress on out of habit. First load to see how high we can get. Exit altitude around 2000'. First guy out wants to get exit shots so out I go heads down to geek the camera. Go belly only long enough to deploy a sniveling Jedei. Cypress fooled and fires high (somewhat). Looked back and saw freebag bridle trailing. Reached and grabbed bridle as freebag dropped out of container. Reeled up freebag (with canopy) and tucked between my legs for landing long but on DZ. What I learned? Now, if the Cypress is on, I won't turn it off BUT if I know I'll be deploying low (above situation) I won't turn it on. Just my $.02 The jump cost alot more than that.