47 47
quade

DB Cooper

Yes, it's official, the canopy was not Coopers

Darn! Back to work watching better minds than mine try to figure out this maddening mystery.

Didn't some hoaxers con Newsweek or some big mag into paying them big bucks for a Cooper story by showing the editor (counterfeit) $20 bills with serial numbers matching the Cooper list? This was a few years ago, before the real money find. I think they actually went to jail over this.

I have an old 28 foot canopy and I can get Cooper's canopy serial number. Sluggo and Safecrackin PLF's analyses have given me some good burial sites, but I am sticking to my guns and putting it just a tad upstream from Tina Bar. That'll show them who was right about the flight path.

Now if I could only figure out how to remove the real serial number and screen the Cooper one into the canopy... Do they have Adobe Photoshop for ripstop nylon?
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Again, as i have stated several times, Cooper way over estimated himself. He is the poster child of "just enough information to be dangerous"

Well, at least we have part of this case solved. You have just described an engineer.

priceless! and so right on.
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Hi 337

Awhile ago we were doing some work on a 727. As far I could tell the idea that the stairs can be lowered in flight is contained in the maintenance manuals. I dont recall them saying that it could be done, but rather they gave no indication that it could not. BUT, after DB's jump, the 727 was fitted with a "cooper vane" and the operating handle was placarded "stairs cannot be lowered in flight".

Any flight attendant would have known how to operate the stairs as it is one of many possible exits.

I'm looking at what the 1972 parachute related hijacks suggest to us about likely profile.

I'm wondering about the confidence level of the age estimate from 1971.

I'd like him to be say 35 in 1971.

What data says there's no way he could have been mid-thirties?

I've got a couple of reasons, but if I think about when I would have done it, the likelihood of the mind supporting it, drops off after 40 I think (unless you have political or religious motivations or are just nutty)

25-40, I can see someone doing it. (assuming you fit the mental profile). I'm also thinking that a little younger, and you're not worrying about needing a gun to avoid getting physically overpowered. An older person might worry about that.

So (Ckret) what about 35 in 1971. thumbs up or down?

remember they microfiched all the bills, so they had to tear apart the bundles from their original configuration at the bank/FBI.

when they repackaged after the fiche, maybe that was random bundle sizing... I'm assuming they know that they used rubber bands for that repack (wouldn't the bank/fbi have used paper wrappers in stacks of 50)

This has been discussed in detail - the money was ready - set aside for incidents such as this hijacking.
It is all in this thread or the old thread. Some in bands and some in rubber bands.
Copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 2013, 2014, 2015 by Jo Weber

At the time of Cooper's jump, where could you find information regarding in flight operation of a 727 rear stair? . (.

The schematics for the plane - and other planes that came before it. Working for Boeing. Having been part of the supply drops that used this with the 727 or a similar aircraft. Many answers to that question.

Be interesting knowing how he got his knowledge, but we won't know that until the FBI finds Cooper or what is left of him.
Copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 2013, 2014, 2015 by Jo Weber

The four individuals who had interaction with Cooper all described him in his mid 40's to 50's. I can find no reason to rule out their descriptions or deminish them. They all had independent encounters and no one really had time to get a story together or influence one anothers memory, so I would say we are stuck (depending on your view point) with what they told us.

It is my understanding the money was wraped in rubber bands, no paper bands. the money was put together in different bill counts so it looked as if it was put together in a hurry.

Hey Safe, sent some of your work off to HQ yesterday, congrats, your kinda like an agent now. Keep this up and I'll have to make you drink the Kool Aid.

ok Safe has "Tunnel time" ....up to 150 mph air!
working to the same thing for a plane!

Ckret, when will u visit one of the tunnels/dzs?

just curious

My head is swimming.

I took an afternoon off, just to get away from DB and you guys create 100 posts about 12 different subjects. It’ll take me a week to get it sorted out.

377, How do you know I’m not a Ph.D? I’ll have you to know I’ve been called “a Pin-Headed Dope” more times than I can count! (Not to mention references to “Piling it Higher and Deeper

Safe…PLF, I knew I was blowing it with my discussion about SBF. Basically, you are saying the same thing, just I don’t think it would “sink like a rock”. The compression factor or bulk modulus or whatever it’s called (I forgot all my physics when I walked out of school, and my books are in my warehouse) of water is high, so low flow exerts large force. Maybe in a lake there wouldn’t be enough force to move it, so your point is well taken.

Snowman, Good photos, I’ll have some photos of that location (address) per Garmin MapSource, so take it with a grain of salt. Also the .kml file. On the google Earth Photo I have the point that I have used every since Safe…PLF straightned me out on the location (Old Thread) and the Way Marking Point.

Ckret, My bowling score is around 100, with the Glock Mod 22 maybe 82. The problem is the bowling alley folks go “prompt critical” when I shoot their bowling pins... especially during league play!

Colson, Here is a photo of a “Cooper Vane” (for all to see.)

I’m going to visit Mr. Basil Hayden, see you tomorrow.

Sluggo_Monster

Web Page
Blog
NORJAK Forum

The four individuals who had interaction with Cooper all described him in his mid 40's to 50's. I can find no reason to rule out their descriptions or deminish them. They all had independent encounters and no one really had time to get a story together or influence one anothers memory, so I would say we are stuck (depending on your view point) with what they told us.

It is my understanding the money was wraped in rubber bands, no paper bands. the money was put together in different bill counts so it looked as if it was put together in a hurry.

I asked this question in the previous locked thread but I don't think it was ever answered with any clarity.

What happened to the BOMB?

All the focus seems to be on the money and the parachutes and the missing person but nobody has ever said much about the missing briefcase and what happened to that.

What was in it? Where did it go? Was it really a bomb?

He showed it to the flight crew so it must have physically existed even if it was not capable of doing any damage at all. Or maybe it was. Most people seem to think it was a fake and he was bluffing but nobody called his bluff.

Obviously they met his demands because they thought he could really do some damage and kill people.

What if there were actual explosives and it was real?
Actual explosives have a source and should traceable even in 1971. The threat was taken seriously so who knows, maybe he would have blown up the plane if cornered. Go out in a blaze of glory. He must have known he might be taken down and killed by law enforcement.

Was it left on the plane or did he chuck it out the door? If it was left on the plane then you guys have it and you know if it was really a bomb and not just a bunch of road flares attached to an alarm clock.

I always had this mental picture of a guy jumping in a business suit holding a briefcase by the handle with a fake bomb inside. Doesn't make sense.

Maybe he threw the bomb out the door and stuffed as much money in the briefcase as possible and tried to hold on during freefall, so now you have a briefcase in one hand and a ripcord in the other...

Hold on tight dude!

If you don't have the bomb then it must have been tossed out the door. You would think pieces of it would have been found. Something, ANYTHING!

Where is the friggin Bomb?

More later,

this is from corbis (wanted to complete what was available). Also was wondering about how they looked compared to how they thought Cooper looked, when estimating age.

first is Rataczak, then Scott, then Mucklow.
Scott is 51. Mucklow is 22.

second is schaffner,23

don't have picture of Engineer H.E. Anderson

I was wondering about how accurate the young stewardesses could guess the age of older men. I guess pretty good since they saw them on planes up close all the time (hitting on them)

third is the sketch released by FBI on 11/27/71
(there have been others since then)

It looks to me that Scott and Rataczak are not wearing
clip on ties. Although could be mistaken

I was wondering how common it was for men in their
40's to 50's to be wearing clip on ties if ties were required for work.

the missing briefcase and what happened to that.

Yes, I'd like to figure this out as well...

but first, I'd like to confirm what it was he was carrying. I've heard "pocketbook" (Simmonds), I've heard leather carrying case, I've heard briefcase (from TV).

There's a huge difference between these. I'd like to know color, how many handles, if it was hard or soft, the likely material, how it opened...

Knowing this will help us figure out the liklihood that he ALSO strapped it to himself.

I have a feeling those contents were important to him and he thought they could come in handy.

Cossey sounds about as enthusiastic as some of our DZ community members...

According to the AP just minutes ago:
Cossey has been through the drill before; this is the third time the FBI has asked him to examine parachutes to see whether they might have been Cooper's.

One chute found long ago — he couldn't remember when — was just a "pilot chute," used to pull the main chute out of the pack. The other time, in 1988, it was a parachute found by a Columbia River diver seeking clues to Cooper's fate.

"They keep bringing me garbage," Cossey said. "Every time they find squat, they bring it out and open their trunk and say, 'Is that it?' and I say, 'Nope, go away.' Then a few years later they come back."

Cossey, though sounding cantakerous, appeared to relish the spotlight Tuesday. He answered his cell phone with "D.B. Cooper" and said he got a kick out of telling some reporters that the parachute was, in fact, the hijacker's.

One reporter called him back angrily, saying he could be fired for writing a false story, but another said the newsroom enjoyed the April Fool's joke.

"I'm getting mixed reviews," Cossey said. "But I'm having fun with it; what the heck."

You have to admit it. Cossey is a riot.

lowpull: heh! if I ever try a jump you'll be able to tell from the webbing I'm grabbing on the nopull..:)

Hey, good question. Was Cooper left or right handed? Was he writing some notes? I thought he wrote some. The stewardesses should have been able to catch which hand he used.

And where's the rip on an NB-6? is it easier or harder depending on whether you're right or left handed?

snowmman , ivw worked with guys like you before....may i ask if your left handed? i bet u are.... i like how you think at times.

nice, Sluggo.

That current huge pile of sand/debris behind the money find site is interesting. Was that all deposited as a result of dredging or ???. The satellite photo must be recent.

Do they still use that site for dredge material? I'm wondering if it's a historical dredge material dump site...thinking about my theory of dredge material from the Lewis River confluence being dumped upstream (there)...

The amount of material there is huge (today). Do we know what it is?

All (especially Safe…PLF),

I tickled a little data from USGS for one of the hydrologic stations on the Columbia:

STATION.-- 14144700 Columbia River at Vancouver, WA
LOCATION.-- Lat 45° 37'15", Long 122° 40'20", in NE1/4,NW1/4 sec. 34, T.2 N.,R.1. E., Clark County,
Hydrologic Unit 17080001, near right bank in control house of Interstate Highway 5 bridge at south edge of Vancouver, 5.0 miles upstream from Willamette River, and at mile 106.5.
DRAINAGE AREA.-- 241,000 mi2, approximately.
PERIOD OF RECORD.--October 1963 to June 1970 (discharge), February 1998 to current year (gage heights only).
GAGE.-- National Weather Service stage gage. Datum of the gage is Columbia River Datum, add 1.82 feet to correct to NGVD of 1929.
REMARKS.--Considerable regulation by many large reservoirs. Diurnal fluctuations caused by powerplant operations at Bonneville Dam and tides. Gage maintained by National Weather Service.
EXTREMES FOR PERIOD OF RECORD.--Maximum gage height, 27.60 ft Dec. 25, 1964, present datum, (backwater from Willamette River).
EXTREMES OUTSIDE PERIOD OF RECORD.--Flood of June 7, 1894, reached a stage of 34.4 ft, present datum, from information provided by U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Flood of June 13, 14, 1948, reached a stage of 31.0 ft, present datum, from National Weather Service records.

I’ll see if I can wrestle some more out of it.

Also, I don’t know where I got the photo of one of the bills, but is sure shows a lot of decay and damage.

Sluggo_Monster

Web Page
Blog
NORJAK Forum