47 47
quade

DB Cooper

RobertMBlevins

Non-Cooper announcement:

I just found out via Facebook that my good friend and long-time mentor, Neil Marr, has died. Originally from Edinburgh, Scotland he lived in Monaco the last years of his life. He started out as a hit-the-bricks reporter and editor, ended up a publisher ahead of his time.

EDIT: Decided to skip the rest of this post and just cut to the chase with the tribute article.

Happy Easter, everyone.

Aw yes - wasn't he a personal friend of Duane's too?

:|

1998 - March
Didn't feel the FBI was doing anything so I started my own search.

Found the man I thought was the one Duane spoke to about WA. xxxx Thompson about WA, when they talked about a camp of sorts -& about building something without the BOSS man's knowledge of stashed lumber and refuge to surprise him. Talked about a hill and a store and logging chutes. An encampment in WA state and they talked about the cabin and how steep the area was. I asked Duane what it was all about - he told me just someone he used to know.

I found Goldfine, but not Mitchell.. remark I made "must have called 20 Mitchells".

Goldfine is evasive - claimed he didn't know if Cooper was the man next to him in the waiting room (therefore Goldfine did NOT see Cooper ON the plane). Just in the waiting room.

Goldfine calls Himmeslbach.

Goldfine calls U.S. State Attorney.

Old friend of Duane's called Himmelsbach.

Goldfine calls - if all else fails call the press. Told me NOT to sign anything - I wondered why he said that. Evidently the FBI had showed him pics - I do not know.

I had to give the FBI my prints and the wanted to know who may have handled the resume. The PI & a minister who helped me find Himmesbach, the person who prepared it, myself, my daughter and perhaps a man I showed the stuff to.

They found 4 sets, but never told me who they belonged to. Did tell me Duane's prints per the criminal file were NOT on the resume. It had a clear plastic binder and then several pages?????

Thought that was ODD then and NOW. U guys in the thread explained it away, but we now know that even the FBI was confused about Weber's prints....It is also known now that NOT everyone was put into the computer and it took YRS to do that - with the older criminals sometimes not even making it into the system.

May 1998:
I fly to Atlanta for a Class Reunion on a 727.

Memories start to flood back to the flights Duane and I made and the things he told me....I remembered what Duane said in Fla as we boarded a 727 to Puerto Rico (1987). He mentioned the flaps and the rear door. Another time in 1979 from CO to Ga he made statements (that was the time he put a magzine infront of his face) telling me he didn't want the stewardess to see him - an old girl friend. I now know the stew was Florence.

He mentions he and MJ worked for a airport & he wanted to be a pilot when he was young, but his farsightness cause him to be turned down.

Strange comment from my uncle who was 18 months older than me, He mentioned that his brother (also my uncle who was 16 & 18 yrs older than he and I respectfully) stated after attending my parent's 50th Anniversary that Jo had married someone in the mafia.

That older uncle was NO saint himself & spent some time in jail himself....I have no idea what for what. He did drink and he was a truck driver and those guys in those day were a tough lot.

Duane and I had picked them up in Orlando and drove them to my mother & fathers home. When he returned to KY he told his brother Jo had married a man he thought was mafia. I would not know about this at the time and it would be told to me AFTER I contacted the FBI about Duane in 1996.

Finegold warns me I will get offers if I go public not to sign anything or the FBI will stop all investigation into Duane. U all know it would be 2000 before the FBI ruffled my feathers and I went public.

Damn - I hung in there with the FBI for almost 4 yrs with no answers!

I revisit in my mind the damn Plane Ticket & assume it was in the book (that was not a book) the helper asked Duane about when I brought him home from diaylsis. She had conducted the garage sale while we were gone for 3 hours. She must have already have sold it (Duane told her to set it aside). Later he asked that I bring the book to him, but it was not in the remaining items. He said he would take care of it with the girl tomorrow. I never knew the result and I neve saw the book.
Copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 2013, 2014, 2015 by Jo Weber

RobertMBlevins

******Non-Cooper announcement:

I just found out via Facebook that my good friend and long-time mentor, Neil Marr, has died. Originally from Edinburgh, Scotland he lived in Monaco the last years of his life. He started out as a hit-the-bricks reporter and editor, ended up a publisher ahead of his time.

EDIT: Decided to skip the rest of this post and just cut to the chase with the tribute article.

Happy Easter, everyone.

Aw yes - wasn't he a personal friend of Duane's too?

:|

You have no class. He was a far better man than you, I think. For one thing, he never had a bad word for anyone. For another, instead of trying to knock people down, he often gave them a leg up.

Iffun yer gonna quotate it, quotate it! Thoroughly British Milly.
Which you aint!

Gunga Din

You may talk o' gin and beer
When you're quartered safe out 'ere,
An' you're sent to penny-fights an' Aldershot it;
But when it comes to slaughter
You will do your work on water,
An' you'll lick the bloomin' boots of 'im that's got it.
Now in Injia's sunny clime,
Where I used to spend my time
A-servin' of 'Er Majesty the Queen,
Of all them blackfaced crew
The finest man I knew
Was our regimental bhisti, Gunga Din.
He was "Din! Din! Din!
"You limpin' lump o' brick-dust, Gunga Din!
"Hi! Slippy hitherao!
"Water, get it! Panee lao
"You squidgy-nosed old idol, Gunga Din."

The uniform 'e wore
Was nothin' much before,
An' rather less than 'arf o' that be'ind,
For a piece o' twisty rag
An' a goatskin water-bag
Was all the field-equipment 'e could find.
When the sweatin' troop-train lay
In a sidin' through the day,
Where the 'eat would make your bloomin' eyebrows crawl,
We shouted " Harry By!"
Till our throats were bricky-dry,
Then we wopped 'im 'cause 'e couldn't serve us all.
It was "Din! Din! Din!
"You 'eathen, where the mischief 'ave you been?
"You put some juldee in it
"Or I'll marrow you this minute
"If you don't fill up my helmet, Gunga Din!"

'E would dot an' carry one
Till the longest day was done;
An' 'e didn't seem to know the use o' fear.
If we charged or broke or cut,
You could bet your bloomin' nut,
'E'd be waitin' fifty paces right flank rear.
With 'is mussick' on 'is back,
'E would skip with our attack,
An' watch us till the bugles made "Retire,"
An' for all 'is dirty 'ide
'E was white, clear white, inside
When 'e went to tend the wounded under fire!
It was "Din! Din! Din!"
With the bullets kickin' dust-spots on the green
When the cartridges ran out,
You could hear the front-ranks shout,
"Hi! ammunition-mules an' Gunga Din!"

I sha'n't forgit the night
When I dropped be'ind the fight
With a bullet where my belt-plate should 'a' been.
I was chokin' mad with thirst,
An' the man that spied me first
Was our good old grinnin', gruntin' Gunga Din.
'E lifted up my 'ead,
An' he plugged me where I bled, An' 'e guv me 'arf-a-pint o' water green.
It was crawlin' and it stunk,
But of all the drinks I've drunk,
I'm gratefullest to one from Gunga Din.
It was "Din! Din! Din!
"'Ere's a beggar with a bullet through 'is spleen"
"'E's chawin' up the ground,
"An' 'e's kickin' all around:
"For Gawd's sake git the water, Gunga Din!

'E carried me away
To where a dooli lay,
An' a bullet come an' drilled the beggar clean.
'E put me safe inside,
An' just before 'e died,
"I 'ope you liked your drink" sez Gunga Din.
So I'll meet 'im later on
At the place where 'e is gone
Where it's always double drill and no canteen.
'E'll be squattin' on the coals
Givin' drink to poor damned souls,
An' I'll get a swig in hell from Gunga Din!
Yes, Din! Din! Din!
You Lazarushian-leather Gunga Din!
Though I've belted you and flayed you,
By the livin' Gawd that made you,
You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!

(1892) Rudyard Kipling.

RobertMBlevins

***Non-Cooper announcement:

Happy Easter, everyone.

Georger says in part...

And something about Gunga Din or whatever. :S

EDIT: Are you like the Designated Attack Dog From the Alternate Website? If so, you should demand a raise since I see you're willing to stoop to making fun of an obituary. If I were willing to do that for some cause, you can bet I would demand max dollars.

Fortunately, I make enough in my regular job that I don't have to stoop to doing that. Your situation might be different, I get that. But I would ask for more pay and better benefits in exchange for selling off my character...:S

I will make this simple for you Blevins-

You claim Neil Marr was your close friend and mentor? Yes? That is what you posted.

Neil passed away at 9pm yesterday evening after a brief but
ultimately unwinnable battle against cancer at the Centre
Hospitalier Princess Grace, France. - See more at:
http://www.theindependentpublishingmagazine.com/2014/04
/former-bewrite-founder-and-editor-
neil.html#sthash.v5WcsPVp.dpuf

That Neil Marr. What poetry was Marr particularly fond of?
You should know being his longtime close friend and associate!

Well ........... Kipling of course, being a Scott/Brit. Took me two
minutes to find that out on the internet.

Then you post a quote from Kipling!

So .... I'll explain it to you .... I followed and posted the whole
poem "Gunga Din or whatever" you call it - what class!

Mr Blevins, read this very carefully!

Neil Marr + your quote from Gunga Din + one of Marr's favorite
authors (Kipling) ='s posting of Gunga Din by Georger!

Do you git it now? Can you hear me now?

I thought you were a literary guy? A man of letters? An Editor?
A close friend of Neil Marr you say was your longtime close friend
and MENTOR! And yet you dont know that Marr especially liked
Kipling? And Gunga Din is what you quoted from ........... so I
gave you the whole poem which your close friend liked and the
quotation you yourself used!!

1 + 1 + 1 ='s 3. It's amazing!

Do you get it now?

Maybe you need to go back and find out who Neil Marr was?

Since you posted about him and quoted Gunga Din (Kipling)!

I have plenty of time. I'll wait for you to figure it out and catch
up to yourself. And you are a great man of letters to boot!
Never heard of Kipling or Gunga Din before? Dont know that your
very close longtime friend and mentor loved that poem! ????
I'm :o

Or maybe you did not know Mr Marr as well as you claim?

There always seems to be a great big Black Hole right smack dab
in the middle of everything you claim and do? Maybe it's just
your style.

Let's see if the NWA archive link you posted tonight proves to be
anything of merit ... who knows: maybe you got a winning
lottery ticket finally!

RobertMBlevins

I'm not reading your crap. Neil was a great guy, and a hell of a mentor to me. You know exactly zip about him except for Google. That's fine. He should be known. He was a better man than either you or me.

And because of your comments, I'm going to post one of the flash fiction stories Neil selected as a Winner of the Week at BeWrite. Yeah, it's mine. (Thanks, Neil) :)

Bathe

The young boy lay face down in the mud, his lower back now throbbing from the blow of the rifle butt.

He picked himself up and stared through the open steel door, trying to focus on the figures shuffling around inside the building. He heard the murmurs of people praying quietly intermixed with occasional shouts from others.

The boy was suddenly afraid. Something was wrong, but he was far too tired and hungry to argue any more. His fear was replaced by an exhausted acceptance of his fate.

The rifle prodded him again as he followed the others through the door.

“It's only a shower!" The guard shouted. "Move along!”

You have exactly ZERO respect for anything, IMHO. You are a victim of blind hatred, lashing out like a wounded animal. That's a writer metaphor. ;)

I was almost going to say congratulations on winning something
... until it occurred to me I might be rushing to judgement. You
may have something here, or not. The first concrete thing since
you came here in 2010! That is a long wait by any standard.

Since I have not the faintest clue who or what "Winner of the
Week at BeWrite" is or means. Could be a frog caller call-off for
all I know.

And having no class ... it wouldnt matter what I thought to yer
nibs anyway, now would it parles vous.

Pass the Grey Poupon and Kipling pleeuz. Throw in a Miller Lite.
Im going to bed with the hogs and dream of flying with chickens
like those classy BeWrite winners do!

I have had all I can take or am willing to take off of certain parties. I appreciate the DZ for keeping things civil in this thread.

Evidently Quade read through certain individuals early on. One individual has publically communicated an intended action he cannot erase along with his supposed FBI connections.

An agent of record will be requested by a media source to stand-by while the faxes are coming in....they will be arranging this within a couple of days. The preparation of the fax material has already been printed to insure that no alterations are made.

The conduct of certain individuals in the Cooper case has esculated to a point it has to be Stopped! This encompasses internet bullies and probable FALSE claims of FBI connections. Also from the material viewed maybe prosecutable, but the expense would be enormous.

Therefore it was decided if this man actually has the connections he claims the system needs to be fixed.

More than likely the man is a fraud & an internet bully trying to get attention, but his connections supposedly involve interactions with the FBI & knowledge of a crime beyond what the general public has access to.

I am emotional about this subject, but I am not damaged goods nor have I told any deliberate lies regarding my claims. Internet threats against a senior by an individual with supposed FBI connections - is NOT going to fly.

If the FBI condones the action of this individual then they will have to stand accountable... not to me, but to the public. If the action of an individual can oppress and suppress the public from coming forward with information about a crime - perhaps the FBI and other investigative organizations in America need to re-evalute their purose and their methods.

:SIf I am crazy - Georger is crazier than I am! Better look out Georger - they will be coming for you next!

Jio wrote

If the FBI condones the action of this individual then they will have to stand accountable... not to me, but to the public.

They won't condone it Jo. They will just ignore it. They have more pressing matters to attend to right now and for the forseeable future.

Don't hold your breath waiting for the FBI to respond. Same advice goes out to your media consultant.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

From a recent article speculating that Don Draper of Mad Men would be revealed to be DB Cooper in the new season series.

Gray: Absolutely. Cooper had to make a choice on the plane that tells us a lot about who he was. He was given two parachutes: One was a Pioneer canopy chute, and one was an NB6—a Navy Back 6—and he could only choose one. The Pioneer was a civilian chute, the Navy Back was a military chute. Often used in the Korean War, by the way, in the Navy. So if Cooper was a civilian and had civilian jumping experience, he would have naturally gone with the Pioneer, experts believe. If he had military experience he would have gone with the military parachute, which was far older, much harder to steer. Cooper chose the Navy Back 6. And the majority of people believe, including me, that the reason Cooper did it was because he knew that rig. He had military experience, and he picked the pack that he was comfortable with. And that was one that he could have very much learned in Korea.

I like to think that Cooper's NB 6 (or NB 8) rig choice evidenced military parachute knowledge, but I am painfully aware that it could have been a coin toss. Two chutes were available. He had to pick one. Might have been as simple as just randomly choosing one of the pair. Occam likes explanation that but I am still arguing with him.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

From a recent article speculating that Don Draper of Mad Men would be revealed to be DB Cooper in the new season series.

Gray: Absolutely. Cooper had to make a choice on the plane that tells us a lot about who he was. He was given two parachutes: One was a Pioneer canopy chute, and one was an NB6—a Navy Back 6—and he could only choose one. The Pioneer was a civilian chute, the Navy Back was a military chute. Often used in the Korean War, by the way, in the Navy. So if Cooper was a civilian and had civilian jumping experience, he would have naturally gone with the Pioneer, experts believe. If he had military experience he would have gone with the military parachute, which was far older, much harder to steer. Cooper chose the Navy Back 6. And the majority of people believe, including me, that the reason Cooper did it was because he knew that rig. He had military experience, and he picked the pack that he was comfortable with. And that was one that he could have very much learned in Korea.

I like to think that Cooper's NB 6 (or NB 8) rig choice evidenced military parachute knowledge, but I am painfully aware that it could have been a coin toss. Two chutes were available. He had to pick one. Might have been as simple as just randomly choosing one of the pair. Occam likes explanation that but I am still arguing with him.

I am betting it just looked cleaner to him.
Propblast

Jo wrote

If the FBI condones the action of this individual then they will have to stand accountable... not to me, but to the public.

They won't condone it Jo. They will just ignore it. They have more pressing matters to attend to right now and for the forseeable future.

Don't hold your breath waiting for the FBI to respond. Same advice goes out to your media consultant.

Well, someone disagrees with your statement above. The FBI cannot ignore intenet crimes committed by an individual who claims his information came from within the FBI ... information the person used erroneously and deliberately to cause harm to another individual.

What was appalling is the conduct with which the attorney attacked an opponent outside of legal boundaries. He is not an attorney in fact for a specific client nor in employed of the FBI. The manner in which he conducted himself over stepped that code of ethic.

He has engaged in deflammatory remarks he attributed to the agents, journalists and others. That does NOT speak well of him as an attorney. Bets are on he is NOT currently an attorney in the state of WA.

What will any of this do -WELL, personally nothing unless I want to spend a lot of money, but it does give me leverage with the media. & perhaps cause the FBI to look at Weber again.

It has been suggested I go PUBLIC & USE these attacks! Finding a media source in WA to persue this would be difficult...especially since the story is so prolonged & NO media source has the resouces or interest to get involve.

What is important is the answer to one question. HOW much of what this individual claims was actually acquired from his FBI contacts?

The individuals who reviewed this were appalled at one specific statement Cxxx has repetitively stated over the last 10 yrs...and appalled as his disregard for anyone who opposes him....& that he would ACTUALLY proclaim these things repetitively over the last 10 yrs.

One remark - "Maybe your Mr Cxxx is the ONE with a problem?"

It is well known I get emotional about this - I have fought this battle for 18 yrs & with little information provided to me by those on the "inside". Meaning the FBI.

So how do some individuals who only represent the media & looking for a book or a story get an inside & Jo Weber is ignored unless she contacts the FBI about something...????

WHY or WHAT gives the FBI the liberty to talk about JO Weber to others & yet refuse to provide DOCUMENTATIONS to her about the many things she has enquired about over the yrs.

Many things totally ignored by Ckret & other agents are a puzzle - especially enquiries about Duane's activities from 1943 to 1949 in the CA, ID, OR and WA area.

Duane was place into a camp in CA, because they thought could help him and also placed into a special program in WA rather than placed into the Population at McNeil. WHY has the FBI NEVER address any of this?

All the agents did was read what was in an old file with no details and did NOT try to fill in the blank spots. This old & tight family & friends - dealt with their own - but in 1958 the family washed their hand of Weber - everyone, but his sister....his only contact until - 1995 a few days before he died. For 32 yrs he remained detached from his family - an outcast!

Cook asked if Duane's family was Mormon - the FBI SHOULD be able to answer that QUESTION. Easy enough to look up his brother and sister-in-law's obit. The family had strong MORMON ties in WA - yea - Washington State & in CA.

Jo,

You should just ignore the allegedly defamatory stuff. It was published in an obscure forum with an audience of maybe a dozen people. Instead you republish it and widen the audience.

I'll bet you neither the FBI or the state bar will show any interest in pursuing your matter. They might be courteous and take a report but that's all they will do. No resources will be assigned. Count on it.

Both agencies have far more important matters to investigate.

You are way too easy to sidetrack.

RobertMBlevins

******From a recent article speculating that Don Draper of Mad Men would be revealed to be DB Cooper in the new season series.

I am betting it just looked cleaner to him.

There is another factor in play here. When Mucklow tried to present Cooper with instructions on how to use a parachute, he told her didn't need them. Then he pops the one good civilian reserve for the cords. Mucklow never saw him trying to attach the non-working reserve, so where did it go? My guess is out the back after he opened the door. This leaves the sport chute and the military mains. He picks the military without hesitation. My guess is he was military. When he didn't try to pop the non-working reserve for the cords, there are only two possible answers. Either he picked randomly and was correct, or he recognized the non-working reserve. No D-rings, as 377 has pointed out, made it impossible to attach the non-working reserve. But it is not found on the aircraft. Sounds like he knew what he was doing to me...IF he were an ex-military jumper.

Only several prolemos with your flawed strawman scenarios ...

#1: These events you say were connected in time, were NOT
connected in time! Many minutes passed between these events
you isolate and portray as being connected:

When Mucklow tried to present Cooper with instructions on
how to use a parachute, he told her didn't need them. Then he
pops the one good civilian reserve for the cords.

#2: Mucklow never saw him trying to attach the non-working reserve, so where did it go?

Just an extraneous fact you throw in to complicate things
which has no bearing on anything else you are linking together -
How do you know she never saw him! Were you there? :D

#3: This leaves the sport chute and the military mains. He
picks the military without hesitation.

Were you there to see it - NO! But you say as fact:

He picks the military without hesitation. Really! How do
you know - were you there?

#4: Sounds like he knew what he was doing to me...IF he
were an ex-military jumper.

So if he didn't know what he was doing he was NOT an
ex-military jumper? Only military jumper would know what he
was doing, because to you, he knew what he was doing, and
that implies only an ex-military jumper (like Kenny), and only
Kenny and no other because: he knew what he was doing
with his left hand which only YOU KNOWS!

Would you like to ride in my beautiful balloon
Would you like to ride in my beautiful balloon
We could float among the stars together, you and I
For we can fly we can fly ...

RobertMBlevins

Were YOU there?

If not, then how do you know that scenario isn't reasonably accurate? Since you're asking, I got most of it from Gray's research on the subject, and by reviewing reports and articles on what happened after Cooper got the money and parachutes. Some of this comes from Mucklow's testimony.

You have a differing opinion on events? Feel free to share it.
------------------------------------------------------
The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is...'
Winston Churchill

Oh no, Nimrod. The issue is WERE YOU THERE! Those are MY
LINES NOT YOURS! :D It was YOUR theory - you prove it!
Use the Transcripts or any other documents you have!

Start by looking up events you describe in #1. Show where
these two events are consecutive IN THE TRANSCRIPTS!

Stop making shit up! Just cause Farflung is gone doen't mean
you earned a free pass to make shit up!

Did you think it did? Just wait all of us out? Then you are free to
say and do pretty much any thing you chose?

Maybe Churchill will help you. When did you last meet with your
medium to a get a reading? How much does she charge? You did
say you consult Mediums. Shama Laka Rubba Dubb Dubb Tub.

:D

RobertMBlevins

******Were YOU there?

If not, then how do you know that scenario isn't reasonably accurate? Since you're asking, I got most of it from Gray's research on the subject, and by reviewing reports and articles on what happened after Cooper got the money and parachutes. Some of this comes from Mucklow's testimony.

You have a differing opinion on events? Feel free to share it.

Oh no, Nimrod. It was YOUR theory - you prove it! Use the
Transcriptrs or any other documents you have!

Start by looking up events you describe in #1. Show where
these two events are consecutive IN THE TRANSCRIPTS!

Stop making shit up! Just cause Farflung is gone doen't mean
you earned a free pass to make shit up!

Did you think it did? Just wait all of us out? Then you are free to
say and do pretty much any thing you chose?

:D

Well, you know what? I'm pretty used to the idea by now that you are in Attack Dog Mode all the time, poised over your keyboard waiting for my every and any post. You want answers to your questions? Email like everyone else, or PM.

Nothing I hate worse than someone who snipes from behind a rock, while cutting off all normal forms of com. You don't deserve a decent answer. And that's the truth. To me, you're simply another piece of anonymous spam not deserving of time or any respect from me.

You can like that or not. I care little, trust me on this.

You flatter me! I see. You are special. Entitled to make shit up!
Above reproach. Beyond reach, Too important!

Stay ahead of the mob ....

To 377 You say: "I like to think that Cooper's NB 6 (or NB 8) rig choice evidenced military parachute knowledge, but I am painfully aware that it could have been a coin toss. Two chutes were available. He had to pick one. Might have been as simple as just randomly choosing one of the pair. Occam likes explanation that but I am still arguing with him."

I would like to say: "You and I have talked about the choice of parachutes and the only thing that the choice involved was the carrier since the chutes inside each carrier were the same and purchased at the same time by Norm Hayden. The carriers were different as one was civilian and the other was military. You told me that the choice made by DB was to take the military carrier which was the best choice due to it being stronger and able to take the jet speed usage better than the civilian carrier. He would have the same chutes inside the carrier and if he knew that the choice would have been the military stronger carrier. Did DB know what chutes were inside the carriers? Hayden and possibly Cossey knew. DB might have slipped some of the chute material out to examine it and found them to be the same.

I think the choice of carrier made by DB shows how knowledgeable he was of what he was doing and he made the correct choice. That goes along with he not needing the written instructions.

Bob Sailshaw
[email protected]

Sailshaw wrote

To 377 You say: "I like to think that Cooper's NB 6 (or NB 8) rig choice evidenced military parachute knowledge, but I am painfully aware that it could have been a coin toss. Two chutes were available. He had to pick one. Might have been as simple as just randomly choosing one of the pair. Occam likes explanation that but I am still arguing with him."

I would like to say: "You and I have talked about the choice of parachutes and the only thing that the choice involved was the carrier since the chutes inside each carrier were the same and purchased at the same time by Norm Hayden. The carriers were different as one was civilian and the other was military. You told me that the choice made by DB was to take the military carrier which was the best choice due to it being stronger and able to take the jet speed usage better than the civilian carrier. He would have the same chutes inside the carrier and if he knew that the choice would have been the military stronger carrier. Did DB know what chutes were inside the carriers? Hayden and possibly Cossey knew. DB might have slipped some of the chute material out to examine it and found them to be the same.

I think the choice of carrier made by DB shows how knowledgeable he was of what he was doing and he made the correct choice. That goes along with he not needing the written instructions.

Bob Sailshaw
[email protected]

Unless Cooper examined the packing cards (and this is disputed, Himmelsbach told me personally that there is no evidence that it happened), there is no way Cooper could know what canopy was inside each container. With an NB 6 or 8 it was likely to have a miltary high speed ejection canopy inside but by no means certain.

The canopy is far more important than the harness and container for being able to safely deploy at high speeds. I have heard af canopies blowing up if deployed above rated speeds but harness failures are extremely rare and are usually due to preexisting unrepaired damage.

According to Norman both rigs had the same military high speed canopies inside but Cooper may not have known that. Just slipping a bit of fabric out to examine it wouldn't tell you much about canopy type, size and speed rating. It would just tell you whether it was made of ripstop or twill material.

Cooper did make the right choice in my opinion but without knowing more about his thought process and whether he examined the packing cards, we cant rule out the possibility that it was a random choice.

I have a recent email address for Sheridan and wrote to him but he continues to ignore me. The very good news is that he got radiation treatment for his cancer and says that he is cured. He also posted on a blog that he was beaten up. By who? Why? I asked him but no response. Who would beat up a sick man in his 80s?

When I sent him the cheer package through Bruce a few years ago he was very grateful and friendly but later flipped and called me FBI CIA etc. I tried to send him another cheer package during the holidays at the end of 2013, but he would not supply an address.

Anyway I am very glad his health is improving. Too bad I cant have a dialog with him. I'd love to hear his opinion about Norjack and Cooper. I'd also like to know why he thinks the FBI even bothered asking a blue eyed man for a DNA sample to rule him out as Cooper? Think about it, that is quite odd. His eye color alone should have ruled him out but the FBI apparently didnt agree.

Sailshaw wrote

Bob Sailshaw
[email protected]

Unless Cooper examined the packing cards (and this is disputed, Himmelsbach told me personally that there is no evidence that it happened), there is no way Cooper could know what canopy was inside each container. With an NB 6 or 8 it was likely to have a miltary high speed ejection canopy inside but by no means certain.

The canopy is far more important than the harness and container for being able to safely deploy at high speeds. I have heard af canopies blowing up if deployed above rated speeds but harness failures are extremely rare and are usually due to preexisting unrepaired damage.

According to Norman both rigs had the same military high speed canopies inside but Cooper may not have known that. Just slipping a bit of fabric out to examine it wouldn't tell you much about canopy type, size and speed rating. It would just tell you whether it was made of ripstop or twill material.

Cooper did make the right choice in my opinion but without knowing more about his thought process and whether he examined the packing cards, we cant rule out the possibility that it was a random choice.

I have a recent email address for Sheridan and wrote to him but he continues to ignore me. The very good news is that he got radiation treatment for his cancer and says that he is cured. He also posted on a blog that he was beaten up. By who? Why? I asked him but no response. Who would beat up a sick man in his 80s?

When I sent him the cheer package through Bruce a few years ago he was very grateful and friendly but later flipped and called me FBI CIA etc. I tried to send him another cheer package during the holidays at the end of 2013, but he would not supply an address.

Anyway I am very glad his health is improving. Too bad I cant have a dialog with him. I'd love to hear his opinion about Norjack and Cooper. I'd also like to know why he thinks the FBI even bothered asking a blue eyed man for a DNA sample to rule him out as Cooper? Think about it, that is quite odd. His eye color alone should have ruled him out but the FBI apparently didnt agree.

The other issue is what did the stews SEE Cooper do when the
chutes were brought on board at approx 5:30pm pst until the
time when Tina goes forward, turns and watches Cooper, then
goes into the cockpit at roughly ~7:42pm pst ("Stewardess
(Mucklow) is with us (in cockpit)". This spans roughly 2 hours
and 12 minutes!

Posts by Ckret etal about what the stews saw and testified to,
go way back in the thread. This has all be thoroughly discussed
before...

Hancock (Ckret) reported 'Cooper began putting on a parachute
almost immediately after they were brought in' (~5:30pm). Tina
confirmed that (Ckret) and added ' he put it on easily as if he
had done it before' and 'he refused instructions that I handed
him saying "I don't need those'' '. Tina added: 'He opened one of
the chutes and looked inside then closed it up before putting it
on'. All of this transpired shortly after the chutes being brought
on board and given Cooper at roughly 5:30pm pst.

The next reference to Cooper's preparations or chutes comes at
roughly 7:42pm pst when Tina (now in the cockpit) reports she
'saw Cooper open one chute and began trying to dump money
into the container, then Cooper began cutting cords from the
chute, and is tying parachute cord around his waste apparently
in an attempt to secure the parachute container full of money
around his waste'. She says 'he looks likes he's going to jump
soon...'. Scott accordingly reports on the radio ' ... looks like
he's getting ready to leave...'

The only period of time when Cooper was not under observation
is from 7:42pm to roughly ~8:11-8:16 when he bails.

Nobody reported seeing Cooper open chutes and give them a
thorough inspection before 7:42. When Tina last saw Cooper at
~7:42 he had already put on a chute over an hour before, he
spent time cutting cord and tying a chute container full of
money around his waste, and the flight engineer then reports
Cooper finishing getting the door open and the stairs down,
Cooper trying the stairs (oscillation?), Cooper finally comes back
to the area where the intercom is located and answers the
intercom at ~8:05 saying everything is "OK", and the pressure
bump occurs ~8:11-8:15 (reported by Rataczak after discussion
among the crew somewhere near the 8:16-8:20 period).

From 7:42 until Cooper he bails at ~8:11-8:16 Cooper appears
to have been fully occupied and looking for an opportunity to
jump. In the 8:05 period, for example, he wasn't even in the
area of the intercom to answer it quickly. We also know from
Rataczak and Anderson testimony that Cooper called front on
the intercom one more time between 8:05-8:10 (not reported in
the Transcripts) and asked them to "slow and stabilize the
plane". There is no time or reason to be inspecting chutes,
taking off and putting on chutes, etc etc after the 7:42 time
mark!

That is the basic factual record supported by witness testimony,
the Transcripts, and discussion/testimony in the thread to date.

The Navy NB 6 and the very similar NB 8 rigs have an unusual chest strap arrangement that is puzzling to a newbie. Instead of a lateral strap there are two harness webbing V shaped pieces that fasten together at their apexes mid chest. The first time I saw an NB 6 I had a hard time figuring out how to put it on and get the chest strap fastened. It's not intuitive.

I took a stock packed NB 8 to the Portland Symposium. I challenged a non jumper from the audience to don the rig. He couldnt do it, too hard to figure out the chest strap arrangement. I asked him to find the packing card. Despite a careful inspection of the rig he could not find it. It is VERY well concealed.

We can argue about the packing card rumor but it seems undisputed that Cooper was able to put on the Navy NB rig without instructions or problems. To me that says he knew something about parachute rigs.

My experiment was not well designed and there was no control, but still, it made the anecdotal point that NB 6 and NB 8 rigs are not easy to put on and fasten without some prior experience or training.

But do we know it was properly fastened? What if Cooper exited, pulled and fell out of the rig? A lone body and an unopened sage green rig might be very hard to find if they went into deep thick brush.

Mistakes can happen when dealing with harnesses and rigs, look at this one:

http://fireaviation.com/2014/01/26/cause-of-hoist-fatality-similar-to-earlier-rappel-death/