47 47
quade

DB Cooper

In response to georger's comment . . .

Cooper would have instinctively taken counter
measures when he jumped, measures which
probably help in stabilisation?

You never made a jump in your life, have you? In fact, by that statement I'd wager a guess you've never seen how typical first timers react to free fall. And I can damn near guarantee you've never made a free fall jump at night.

You have NO idea what you're talking about in this regard. None.

"Measures which probably help in stabilisation? (sic)" Don't make me laugh!

INSTINCT don't enter into it. Humans have NO instinct about free fall. None. They have instinct about falling from a height of a few feet, but any way a normal human might react to that situation has ZERO relevance to falling out of an airplane. None.

Because of this, inexperienced jumpers have a tendency to curl up into the fetal position and fall unstable. Virtually everything they try to do instinctively is 100% wrong.

Somewhere in a skydiving history thing I remember reading about, I think it was some french skydivers, that actually "figured out" how to be stable in freefall (and which laid the basis for what we are taught today) and this was decades after people started jumping from planes. Quade is right, there is no instinct. I'll see if I can find the source/story.
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

Opening the chute seems to solve everything.

Usually... but panicked first-timers sometimes don't open chutes (even panicked people of varying levels of experience don't always open them).

Plus... if you are tumbling when you pull there is the added risk of a horseshoe. I don't know how many people have survived a horseshoe at night (especially with no reserve around...)

For non-skydivers:

Procedures for clearing a horseshoe malfunction
The skydiver may attempt to extract the pilot chute or clear the entanglement. Extracting the pilot chute, while simple during the course of a normal skydive, becomes a new challenge because its location will have shifted due to the deployment of the main canopy. Skydivers may wish to practice on the ground deploying their pilot chute with the main canopy out of the container in order to gain experience with this procedure. If successfully cleared, the main parachute will likely fail to deploy correctly due to severe line twists. However, the skydiver can treat this as a normal high-speed malfunction, release the main, and deploy the reserve. Failing to clear the entanglement prior to deploying the reserve may result in a main-reserve entanglement. Failing to achieve either successful deployment of the main, or manual or automatic deployment of the reserve will result in a near certain death.

I, Jo Weber has never stated how Cooper landed or if he landed in a tree or not. Jo Weber, myself and I was NOT there and Duane L. Weber did NOT tell her which is ME anything about a landing in a jump.

What we have here is a failure to remember. Or was it another Jo "TEST"? I don't buy it anyway because I think he jumped in a clear area 15 miles west of the reported jump site, based on confidential co-pilot information to Ralph. "Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive...." Nobody believes anything anymore, Jo. Too many fly traps, tests, and misdirections. Too many changes in your tales. Too much total rejection of basic truths. Like Mac "TOMMY GUNN" and Mike Barton in the Domination Nation video. (:#)^
Or Henry Selick as a stand-in for the newspaper picture. Or dinner with Denny Nichols family, or stealing of the rifle, washing dishes in New Orleans and missing Mac by one day. On and on. You have become almost irrelevant to your own story. Sad.

We may have met up there, or at Whiteside...! B|

We (Liberty Parachute Team) were opening the show from Duggy, that's my helmet cam footage I linked.

If you were at Whiteside, we probably did meet, but Liberty Parachute team wasnt there, but a few guys from the team stopped up there just out of interest. Whiteside is my home town, the New Years day jumps I used to make were up there out of a C-182in the old days, RRVS club plane. I also get out to Witchita now and then and Chuck is a friend of mine out there. Last year he assembled a group of us to celebrate the anniversary of the making of Gypsy Moths, which was filmed at Benton, KS. I got a jump out of a Stearman that day by riding in the front seat and having the pilot do a parabolic arch and push really hard at the top, I launched out and flew relative to the aircraft for a few seconds above it. Way cool! We probably know each other from Muskogee or WFFC. Dan

What Quade and others says about there being no instinct for stable freefall is true.

I learned to jump in 1968. No AFF. No tunnel training. Just a few static line jumps with dummy rip cord pulls and then they threw you out of the plane solo to teach yourself freefall.

I can personally attest to stable freefall being non intuitive. I made elaborate plans to be the exception. I was going to show them by making perfect stable jumps from the outset. I practiced in a swimming pool, exhaling to get neutral buoyancy and then going spread eagle with a strong arch. I was solid as a rock. I'd show those jumpmasters a thing or two next weekend.

It all went to hell. Even on short delays I was turning or flipping or both. On one memorable 30 second delay I got into a horribly tight spin at about 15 sec and couldn't arrest it. My training taught me to pull under those circumstances and I did. I was certain I'd be wrapped up in deploying lines but got a completely normal spin stopping canopy deployment.

After a while you learn, but it sure doesn't come naturally.

They let little kids fly in our local tunnel. I've seen 3 and 4 year olds put teens to shame in very quick learning of freefall stability skills. It's quite amazing. Still, it has to be learned.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Robert99:
You say "What was visible to Cooper when he jumped?
I mean below him to say 5000feet. Around him
in the air/sky? Above him standing on the stairs? "

DB did have wind rushing past him (at least 180 knots) to use as a frame of reference as to which way down was and be able to arch his body into a stable position (belly down. Spinning could be detected by an experienced skydiver and by use of arms and legs could change direction of spin and quite possibly stopped the spin. As 377 points out, by pulling the rip cord, the spin would stop anyway and get everything in control.
Bob
sailshaw

I am looking for the name/contact info for the person that found the 727 Airstair Placard. Is he still alive? Any help? Also. I am soliciting any experienced skydiver (from the sport before the days of throw out pilot chutes) That would be willing to go on camera and be interviewed with real name and experience level and state that they feel that in their opinion, the jumper in this case was likely a no pull (disorientation, G force, etc) or a total Mal, or a hard pull that was never successful, or any other combination of theory that leads to a terminal impact with the pilot chute still stowed. No "proof" will be required. Just the statement that you are a very experienced jumper and that your opinion is that there is a body and a rig still laying out there, they are still attached, and why you think that. No one is going to attack your background, you are entitled to an opinion and if there is an experienced jumper out there that holds this opinion, we would like to schedule an interview. Thank you. Dan Gryder

Dan: Robert 99 Jumped back in the 60's along with his experience in related field's would be your best choice for a interview. But of course thats not what you realy want, is it. What you want is someone to go on camera and say that your candidate is Cooper and lived. Sorry Dan that is not going to happen. Cooper is not available for an interview nor will he ever be. Your story is not going to fly there will be to many holes in it and people will tear it apart. Do you realy want that. Jerry

As 377 points out, by pulling the rip cord, the spin would stop anyway and get everything in control.
Bob
sailshaw

There's a difference between pulling in a spin and pulling while tumbling though. None of us have any idea whether he spun or tumbled on exit.

And if he had no experience of training, who knows whether it would have occurred to him to pull while spinning or tumbling?

Out of interest, 377, when in your training did you get taught how to stop a spin without pulling? It was part of the requirement for my A, but (no offence;)) I did my training quite a while after you did yours!

Dan How many of your friends had a 21 pound money bag attached to there side.With about a half second window to deploy the chute or go into a spin. The hijacker if he was experienced would have attached the money bag differently. He would have had enough cord that would have allowed him to hang on to the bag while he jumped. He did not . How do we know this . Tom Kaye measured the length of the remaining cut cord to determine how much was missing. Jerry

You keep bringing this spin thing up. What makes you so sure it will happen and in such the manner as you think that it is not able to be countered?

If it was Weber, sure it would be his death (but Weber wasn't the high jacker, so no biggy), KC maybe his death too (but probably not the guy either, although he has the most "Evidence" on his side), my point - any experienced jumper of that era would have no trouble with the reserve container sized bundle, IF, it was properly affixed and still intact after the exit.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

"What you want is someone to go on camera and say that your candidate is Cooper and lived."

Jerry, with all due respect, you obviously did not read and understand what I wrote. I know you are hurt about this. Read it again. Slow. I am looking for an experienced jumper to go on camera and say that they think whoever it was DID NOT get a good canopy and DID NOT live, and say why. Simple. No endorsing. No guessing WHO it was.

Here is what I said: " No "proof" will be required. Just the statement that you are a very experienced jumper and that your opinion is that there is a body and a rig still laying out there and why you think that. "

This has nothing to do with who anybody thinks it was. I just would like to find a reputable experienced jumper that firmly believes that the scenario resulted in a no pull/couldnt pull/total mal. etc and that they believe that the body and original rig are still laying out there somewhere, and why. So far I cant find anyone that thinks that this guy went to this much trouble and was unable to get SOMETHING out. Can you find me one? Just one? Thank you. Dan Gryder

Orange asked

377, when in your training did you get taught how to stop a spin without pulling?

Oh I was taught that from the very outset. I just wasnt that good a learner. :(

I had low skill and very high determination. That's actually not a bad combo for a student jumper. You perservere. You don't give up. You eventually figure it out.

I can't tell you how excited I was when I finally mastered stable freefall. I was on cloud nine. I still am.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

my point - any experienced jumper of that era would have no trouble with the reserve container sized bundle, IF, it was properly affixed and still intact after the exit.

Matt

FWIW - I interviewed a B-17 Commander from WWII a few years ago. His plane took a hit and became uncontrollable. He had never jumped and was given minimal training regarding a jump other than "get out the door, any door, and pull this thing..." He says he has no idea how fast the B-17 was going when he left it, but it was missing part of a wing and was pretty nose down and there was no one at the controls. He said had no concept of anything regarding parachuting, that was his one and only jump ever. He thinks he pulled immidiately out the door and has no idea his body position relative to earth, but even in 1944 he got a good canopy at a very high exit speed and rode it all the way to where he landed in a tree and cut himself out, only to be captured and spend months in a Russian prison camp eating pigeon leftovers to stay alive. A reserve is designed to work. Speed, body position, whtever. Pull. It works. Now find me an experienced jumper that says that the 727 suspect was a no pull/couldnt pull/total mal. off the very stable stairway of a 727 and that the guy was DOI and let him have his say. Thank you. Dan Gryder

So there is a vast amount of opinion on what Cooper did for several seconds or whatever jumping from 10,000 feet. There appears to be an acceptable theory that he could have avoided a twirling, counter-intuitive spin of flaming death by deploying the chute off the stairs. Makes sense.

What did Gary Powers do on his single and only, record breaking jump?

From 60,000 feet to 15,000 feet I suppose a person could learn to stabilize themselves (at least he did) then pull at the right time or let the altimeter do it for you. Was he given a secret CIA freefall instruction along with a poison pin (so exciting)? Tens of thousands of aircrew knew how to use a chute but were not trained on how to fall or jump.

Of four succeeding copycat jumpers, three had jump experience, two kept their money upon landing but both of them injured themselves. What did they do? Deploy from the stairs or freefall only to spin, what techniques? Something tells me there won’t be any empirical data about these events either.

There must have been tens of thousands of Non-WHUFFOS without jump experience in WWII. You see they weren’t WHUFFOS because the planes were not perfectly good, so it made sense to jump. How many of them lived? What a bitch to survive a swarm of Messerschmitts, get out of a spinning bomber then ‘eat it’ because you didn’t arch enough. Oh well.

There must have been tens of thousands of Non-WHUFFOS without jump experience in WWII. You see they weren’t WHUFFOS because the planes were not perfectly good, so it made sense to jump. How many of them lived? What a bitch to survive a swarm of Messerschmitts, get out of a spinning bomber then ‘eat it’ because you didn’t arch enough. Oh well.

Yeah but those guys had training on what to do if they needed to eject. We have no clue what Cooper's jump background was.

I had low skill and very high determination. That's actually not a bad combo for a student jumper. You perservere. You don't give up. You eventually figure it out.

I can't tell you how excited I was when I finally mastered stable freefall. I was on cloud nine. I still am.

Oh, that pretty much describes me too :$ took me 12 freaking exits (from a sitting poised position) before they'd let me go to freefall... progression normally 3 exits then 5 DRPs, I did 6 of each :). I surprised myself by actually being pretty good at freefall just about from the word go. Landings were another story altogether... [:/]

btw everyone loved the spin test jump, I think for most of us it was one of our favorites!

Robert99:
You say "What was visible to Cooper when he jumped?
I mean below him to say 5000feet. Around him
in the air/sky? Above him standing on the stairs? "

DB did have wind rushing past him (at least 180 knots) to use as a frame of reference as to which way down was and be able to arch his body into a stable position (belly down. Spinning could be detected by an experienced skydiver and by use of arms and legs could change direction of spin and quite possibly stopped the spin. As 377 points out, by pulling the rip cord, the spin would stop anyway and get everything in control.
Bob
sailshaw

Sailshaw and everyone else who has not made a free fall, somewhere on DZ.com there is probably a list of vertical wind tunnels. Find one in your area and give them a call. Tell them that you want to see how easy it is to control your body position during a free fall.

The tunnel people can probably arrange a few minutes in their tunnel for around $150 per person. You could make it a family affair. The experience is well worth it in my judgment.

I have spent a few minutes in the tunnel at the Casa Grande, AZ facility. In the preparation for going into the tunnel, we were shown a video of four kids (I believe both boys and girls) in their tunnel. These kids were about 10 years old and had their own team jump suits, etc.. They did controlled formation turns and other things and were always under control.

But looks can be deceiving. In my particular case, I found that I could no long go into an arc position without getting leg cramps. When I straightened out the legs to stop the cramping, I would go head first into the wall. Basically, I spent my tunnel time just banging my head against the wall.

Don’t think there was much ejection training in WWII.

My neighbor bailed out of a B-17 and never said a word about it until I was in flight school and home on vacation. He asked what they ‘trained’ us to do in such a situation. I said there was exactly one approved method and only one technique mentioned. That was the ‘Tuck’ position where the knees were drawn to the chest in a sort of cannonball profile. He said nothing had changed since his jump in ’44.

So if ‘training’ is being told to tuck everything in….. then that was the training. This was literally all the instruction I received (10 seconds total) but I’m sure this too can be made much, much more complicated. Using the chute, ejection seat, PLFs, survival kits, jumping into pits, swing landers, yes even radios and flares we were trained and trained and trained. We even had to eat bugs and drink our own urine as part of the training. OK, the urine part was a lie but jumping and freefall…………………. tuck.

What did McCoy, McNally, LaPoint and Heady do? Why do these case studies always seem to suck the oxygen out of the thread? Is it because they abate the BS factor perhaps?

. . . the BS factor . . .

You really have to ask yourself how the BS factor creeps into the conversation to begin with.

I think it's like a writer who has committed to how his story is going to end before writing word one. He pictures this great moment for the end of the story and then works backward to create a scenario wherein that happens.

Lots of people in this thread have pet theories about who DB Cooper is. If the suspect lived through the experience of jumping and the following Escape and Evasion (E&E), then the author has to concoct a series of events which allows the suspect to be able to have done that.

They cling to notions that reinforce their position and dismiss ones that don't.

If their favorite DB Cooper suspect has almost no known sky diving experience, they tend to believe the jump part was trivial. Hell, instinct will save the guy! Well, that part just isn't true. They can easily believe it though because they have no experience in doing it, yet just the briefest amount of experience would clear this up greatly in their heads.

It has been stated before but is worth repeating, anybody writing a story about this DB Cooper thing really ought to take the time to learn what a skydive is. Go make a few jumps. It will cut your BS factor by quite a bit. If you can, make a jump out of a tailgate aircraft. It's not a jet, but will give you an idea about the differences in stability encountered during the exit phase due to wind initially only hitting part of your body. You also might learn how silly the notion of being able to see the ground and stars would be.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

In response to georger's comment . . .

Cooper would have instinctively taken counter
measures when he jumped, measures which
probably help in stabilisation?

You never made a jump in your life, have you? In fact, by that statement I'd wager a guess you've never seen how typical first timers react to free fall. And I can damn near guarantee you've never made a free fall jump at night.

You have NO idea what you're talking about in this regard. None.

"Measures which probably help in stabilisation? (sic)" Don't make me laugh!

INSTINCT don't enter into it. Humans have NO instinct about free fall. None. They have instinct about falling from a height of a few feet, but any way a normal human might react to that situation has ZERO relevance to falling out of an airplane. None.

Because of this, inexperienced jumpers have a tendency to curl up into the fetal position and fall unstable. Virtually everything they try to do instinctively is 100% wrong.

Somewhere in a skydiving history thing I remember reading about, I think it was some french skydivers, that actually "figured out" how to be stable in freefall (and which laid the basis for what we are taught today) and this was decades after people started jumping from planes. Quade is right, there is no instinct. I'll see if I can find the source/story.

Orange, this is proving to be very instructive, to me
at least. The vids Quade posted speak plainly. Its
very easy to see how anything in Cooper's pockets
could have come out. Its basic issues like this that
help define the case.

What Quade and others says about there being no instinct for stable freefall is true.

I learned to jump in 1968. No AFF. No tunnel training. Just a few static line jumps with dummy rip cord pulls and then they threw you out of the plane solo to teach yourself freefall.

I can personally attest to stable freefall being non intuitive. I made elaborate plans to be the exception. I was going to show them by making perfect stable jumps from the outset. I practiced in a swimming pool, exhaling to get neutral buoyancy and then going spread eagle with a strong arch. I was solid as a rock. I'd show those jumpmasters a thing or two next weekend.

It all went to hell. Even on short delays I was turning or flipping or both. On one memorable 30 second delay I got into a horribly tight spin at about 15 sec and couldn't arrest it. My training taught me to pull under those circumstances and I did. I was certain I'd be wrapped up in deploying lines but got a completely normal spin stopping canopy deployment.

After a while you learn, but it sure doesn't come naturally.

They let little kids fly in our local tunnel. I've seen 3 and 4 year olds put teens to shame in very quick learning of freefall stability skills. It's quite amazing. Still, it has to be learned.

Last night it was said the reserve chutes were built to
open during a spin, but the old back packs not. Can
you confirm or deny and cover that aspect of this
matter?

As 377 points out, by pulling the rip cord, the spin would stop anyway and get everything in control.
Bob
sailshaw

There's a difference between pulling in a spin and pulling while tumbling though. None of us have any idea whether he spun or tumbled on exit.

And if he had no experience of training, who knows whether it would have occurred to him to pull while spinning or tumbling?

Out of interest, 377, when in your training did you get taught how to stop a spin without pulling? It was part of the requirement for my A, but (no offence;)) I did my training quite a while after you did yours!

This matter of reserves open in spin/tumble vs.
back chuites wont open under those circumstances
is crucial. Cooper had only the back chute functional.

I seem to recall my Dad saying it was get the canopy open, dive out behind the wing and try to miss the tail section. Then, pull the cord. I suppose that was Navy training. If you are over open ocean, lots of other bad things can follow, but at least you have a chance this way. Did the term "freefall" actually exist during WWII?

And, BTW, how does anyone know DBC had an imbalanced load when he left? I am assuming that any load you can put on your "low pressure side", such as your main chute, constitutes "balanced"? Is the preferred method front and back symmetry?