47 47
quade

DB Cooper

Thot you guys might be interested in this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knJH2uoFwc8

2012??? Damn, the tease virus is spreading. Call the Center for Disease Control. And why are the two women in your video doing nothing? Are they clues?

Dan in the video hails from Griffin Georgia. Isn't that where the ATL 98 Carvair N83FA crashed? Poor guys had engine trouble on TO and bought the farm. That left Carvair hangar queen FAT ANNIE N89 FA to be restored to airworthy condition.

I jumped FAT ANNIE at the World Free Fall Convention. Gee, that really sounds bad. Hey, she's an airplane.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Dan I agree with you about the survivability of the jump. I think Cooper actually jumped a 28 ft C9 round not a Navy 26 Conical. Cosseys latest ID of the harness container was NB8 not NB6. No big deal either way. Both were fine canopies. I've had lots of C9 rides and only one Navy Conical ride (my first cutaway).

Dan, don't do teases here. If you've solved the crime tell us now, not in 2012.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Robert 99:Ten minutes ago in conversation with Ralph H. Quote Tina did not observe Cooper putting on the parachute. What was observed was Cooper had a opened chute near the rear exit working on it. Jerry

So Georger is correct. Only Tina, the only possible source for clearing up the confusion, should be interviewed again.

R99

Hancock also - Flo maybe?

Today raspberrymoon and I went cruising in the local area to check out where Cooper may have landed.

We started out in Woodland and cruised East on 503 which loops around Lake Merwin to Amboy...then took NE Cedar Creek Road back to Woodland.

We stopped at the Ariel Tavern for lunch but they are closed Mondays and Tuesdays...but we did talk to Jack who said he was Donna's son.

Saturday night I was at the bar...as all real skydivers should be...raspberrymoon and I stalked the stools at the end of the bar until we could swoop the two end stools.

I really just needed somewhere to sit down, rest my knee, talk over the day with Raz and have a cold Rainier.

I met a woman at the bar who related a story to me about the night of the Cooper hijacking.

She remembers that night well...her father was out hunting while her and her mother were scrubbing the kitchen floor listening to the radio.

While scrubbing the floor they heard a jet fly over and apparently didn't think much about it until some time later when they heard on the radio that there had been a hijacking.

Now...I'm just relating this story and have absolutely no proof whatsoever that this event actually happened...but it peaked my interest.

I asked Jack(who by the way, Raz recognized from a TV interview)if he knew the woman I had spoken with and he told me he did. I also asked Jack if he had heard an airplane that night...his answer was no...but his mother who was in Amboy had heard one.
I asked him if he thought his mother and the woman from the bar could have heard the same aircraft...his answer was yes...the woman's house was right inline with where both people described hearing the plane that night.

During the conversation with the woman I met at the bar, I asked her if she had ever heard a jet fly over the house before or after the night of the hijacking...her answer was no...she had never heard one before or after...like the one they heard that night.

We also stopped at Speelyai Bay Recreation Area to get a feel for the surrounding terrain and I was really struck with how much water there is in this vicinity.

Raz and I continued on to Amboy to find a place to eat lunch...well if you've ever been to Amboy...the place to eat is Nick's Bar and Grill.

The woman that waited on us was quite eager to tell us her thoughts on Cooper as was another gentleman who Raz talked to.

The woman remembers a helicopter landing in her pasture scaring her animals with the occupants asking her where they were...she thinks it's kinda funny now and wonders how competent the FBI and searchers actually were.

The gentleman Raz talked to remembers the FBI shutting the Grist Mill down for three days looking for Cooper.

We didn't find Cooper but got a good feel for the alleged DZ. I'm still digesting all that I've learned on this trip but realize how hard it would be to find a "no pull" in this terrain and even a parachute.

To the East of Amboy and Lake Merwin the terrain gets much more rugged, just as Jerry describes...I took some photo's of what the area looks like and still need time to look at them all but saw many logging roads crisscrossing the mountains.

I'm not convinced Cooper survived...but if he pulled and didn't land in the water I'm pretty sure he could have survived...oh...all the locals I spoke with today...hoped he survived...just for the record.

hangdiver

"Mans got to know his limitations"
Harry Callahan

Thanks for the update Hangdiver and raz.

I wonder if the residents heard the F106 interceptors scrambled from McChord AFB rather than the 727? They never found their target, the NWA 727.

F 106s were very loud.

Hey Hangdiver. I still want that CC DZ t shirt. Maybe we could all chip in and have Bill Dause drop a load there for old times sake. Think it could happen?

Best to you and raspberrymoon. Stay warm
and dry my friends.

Thanks for the update Hangdiver and raz.

I wonder if the residents heard the F106 interceptors scrambled from McChord AFB rather than the 727? They never found their target, the NWA 727.

F 106s were very loud.

I'm wondering the same thing...what aircraft did they hear???

Hey Hangdiver. I still want that CC DZ t shirt. Maybe we could all chip in and have Bill Dause drop a load there for old times sake. Think it could happen?

I haven't forgotten 377...and yes it is a possibility.

Now I just need to get back home...of course the long way...ha ha...

hangdiver

Harry Callahan

I just read the tie partical analysis by Tom Kaye and his thinking on the titanium speck and aluminum shavings. Without getting too wordy, in 1969 Porche introduced a new, state of the art 12-cylinder engine, and many components were made of titanium, magnesium and exotic alloys for the Porche 917 used for competetive racing in Europe. Now Mr. Kaye says that they found pure titaniam and not an alloy. Is it possible DB Cooper was a fan of exotic cars and/or Eurpean racing? Or was involved in a racing team while reading French language comic books?

I just read the tie partical analysis by Tom Kaye and his thinking on the titanium speck and aluminum shavings. Without getting too wordy, in 1969 Porche introduced a new, state of the art 12-cylinder engine, and many components were made of titanium, magnesium and exotic alloys for the Porche 917 used for competetive racing in Europe. Now Mr. Kaye says that they found pure titaniam and not an alloy. Is it possible DB Cooper was a fan of exotic cars and/or Eurpean racing? Or was involved in a racing team while reading French language comic books?

Mr. Kaye thinks maybe a guy that's a shift manager at a heavy metal plant might be DB, but don't forget the guy needs a background in jumping and has either died or got away.

Thot you guys might be interested in this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knJH2uoFwc8

2012??? Damn, the tease virus is spreading. Call the Center for Disease Control. And why are the two women in your video doing nothing? Are they clues?

Dan in the video hails from Griffin Georgia. Isn't that where the ATL 98 Carvair N83FA crashed? Poor guys had engine trouble on TO and bought the farm. That left Carvair hangar queen FAT ANNIE N89 FA to be restored to airworthy condition.

I jumped FAT ANNIE at the World Free Fall Convention. Gee, that really sounds bad. Hey, she's an airplane.

Dan Gryder claims to know the co-pilot - did you catch that one? I find it ODD this man claims a connection to the Co-pilot. Maybe I am doing the math wrong - but isn't that something like 20 yrs plus of age difference between the co-pilot and this Dan Gryder? I have forgotten how old the co-pilot was in 1971.

Gryder would be in his early 50's now and around 10 yrs old in 1971.

Do NOT have a clue what the simulated gun means.

I used to work for an insurance company and Griffin was a regional office. This was around 1973 when I first moved to Riverdale, Ga. I had a problem with the DSM - He had a different idea about what my job description should be.

(Remember guys - I was under 35 and a fair looking individual back then.... Looking HOT per the terminology you guys use today and being HOT are 2 different things.) Someday I might get brave enough to post a picture of those days.

Duane had connections and worked leads in Griffin, but that was before my time in his life. I have mentioned before a man Duane knew by the name of Vern who I have tried to find.

Vern was much younger than Duane and younger than myself.
This was the man I mentioned yrs ago who I believe jumped on some farm land East (if I remember correctly) of Atlanta.
There was some association outside of business - but I did not know what it was. I do know that Vern contacted Duane even after we got married to let him know that the office had been approached regarding his where about. No one was talking.

Wonder what this guy is up to? Wonder if he ever had anything to do with race cars? For some reason I want to associate this man with race cars and not planes, yet all I know is what was in that one article one of you found.
Copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 2013, 2014, 2015 by Jo Weber

Jo I told Shelly, after class Clown posted you would post shortly with more BS. Jo You have nothing to contribute to this case but more lies and BS Stories. Unfortunately, you did not make it to the Symposium. I realy wish you had of. I had the tapes with me. Duane was not Cooper, and you of all people Know it.You have cost this investigation to much time and money already. You have hurt people for know reason. So please stop posting your fiction and lies.Jerry

Greetings All,

I have a healthy report on the Symposium, with Part One on the Mountain News:

http://themountainnewswa.net/2011/11/29/db-cooper-symposium-delivers-solid-information-and-analysis/

It gives a substantive account of 377's superb analysis of the parachutes, Brian's conversations with me about the money and what he didn't find on Tina's Bar, along with extra perspectives from Tom Kaye and Carol Abracadabra.

Plus the Formans' delivered their account of Barb Dayton, which continues to resonate for many and at the very least may result in Barb being canonized by all the cross-dressing, gender-variable folks in the world. Ron and Pat have already asked me to accompany them on their forays into the Gay Pride Day march circuit of the PNW. My prior efforts to support my Lesbian step-daughter at a NYC Gay Pride march in the 1980s has obviously qualified me in their eyes.

ClassClown: Of course. Or did you actually show and not identify yourself. Jerry

No, I'm an honest guy JT................I was unable to attend................family in town and no connecting flights gave me no viable way of attending in a timely fashion..........................Having said that I do not believe Jo has any reason to post on the backside of my post......your attacks on Jo border on OCB................leave the old woman alone..................it makes you look rather he he he CLOWNISH..............

Despite Dan Gryders big problems right now (arrested for essentially assaulting officers with a taxying 1940s vintage DC 3, which has to be a first in the annals of crime), he has a lot of expertise as a commercial pilot and veteran skydiver. He also has jumped from a 727.

I deplore the teasing but have to admit a lot of curiosity about his alleged solution of the DB Cooper mystery.

He, like Jerry, is claiming that the "official" flight path is way off.

I don't like violence but the picture of cops being chased by a lumbering DC 3 does have some slapstick comedic elements to it.

In these crazy times, when every Podunk town has a federally funded SWAT anti terrorist unit, Dan is lucky he and his DC 3 weren't taken out by RPGs and machine guns.

I apologize for the promo. We had intended to have the project complete by the anniversary. My wife was diagnosed with Colon cancer in April of 2010, and she passed away in June of this year. The cooper case is one that I have worked on for years, its just that the last year has been hard. I have two young boys that my full attention and motivation has now turned towards. Everyone is allowed an opinion. I resolve to remain courteous and respectful of each and every individual, I hope the same is afforded me. My only offer is for you to watch my video documentary when it is released, and come to your own conclusions. No more, no less. I am not selling anything, and I have nothing to gain. I just want everyone to know the whole story. The griffin incident that you have referenced is an excellent case in point. If you read from the media and government only what you see on your laptop, its a bizzarre story. Like the cooper case, there was just very little in that story that was true. The media is out there to sell advertising. The more fantastic the better. The FBI was trying to not look bad in the cooper case, but they made a lot of really big mistakes. Many of you on here are highly qualified experts in many areas. My promise to you is that the solution I present to those with sufficient experience and subject knowledge will answer all of your questions once and for all. I just can't get it out right now. We have had a hard time here. I hope you understand. By the way, it wasnt Barb, and it wasnt Duane, and it wasnt Marla's uncle.
Sincerely, Dan

Why don’t facts seem to come with a little source attribution? Why are facts eaten from within because someone just made a simple mistake? After reading Bruce’s article with a conversation about how the money was handled I’m struck again with how some lore can grow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKbADFJOCkU

So a bunch of rubber bands were stretched across some various indexes on a board then buried in a backyard to measure durability I suppose. The fact that some money wasn’t tested in parallel in a similar fashion is vexing but expected. The rubber bands are then exhumed and precisely measured with a micrometer and viewed with a microscope to measure various properties. OK, I got it there was sciency stuff done to the rubber bands. Now for the not so sciency stuff.

Where are pictures, drawings of, or plastic bottles containing some rubber bandy evidence? It says the rubber bands are a fact (‘known fact’ for this thread) but they seem to be like Sasquatch and UFO facts in that only a select few and self identified have seen them and they have already said too much.

Now Brian is telling Bruce that the money was grabbed by the FBI and separated then put into envelopes without mention of the rubber bands or existing artifacts. Is this fact about the rubber bands in fact a statement from someone and nothing more?

If there were three bundles which I assume (assume) were banded at least individually, there would be some rubber band ‘bones’ stuck between the stacks the FBI separated. I mean there are fragments of titanium being found in neckties but no chunks of rubber bands? Is this more ‘You know what I mean’ type stuff being slammed around like paratroopers jumping off aft stairs in Viet Nam?

Dan,

Sincere condolences regarding your wife's death. You obviously have a lot to deal with at the moment so I'll stop my tease jabs.

No surprise to me that the cops may have misrepresented the facts in the Gruffin incident. During my years as a criminal defense lawyer I saw a lot of fabrication by police officers. I keep an open mind on such matters having seen cops lie under oath to get a conviction.

You might want to read Bruce's articles in Mountain News regarding the chutes. It really doesn't matter what combo of NB6 NB8 C9 or Navy Conical was jumped. Any permutation in the hands of an experienced knowledgeable jumper could put you alive under a good chute. Once on the ground, my expertise ends. Survival and undetected egress present some real challenges.

Wonder if we ever jumped together at WFFC in Quincy or Rantoul?

Good luck in your case. Hope you have top notch counsel.

Thank you. The folly is long over, there was no case. Steerable is a disadvantage in this case. An expert would have selected no steering and the least drive. He did. Its all dark down there. What are ya going to steer into, the least dark? Steering is only good when you got something to steer towards. Otherwise drive is not your friend. I never jumped at Rantoul, just Quincy and originally Tahlequah and Muskogee. But I have flown Fat Annie, and I currently own her little sister, a -3. You and I may have been on a load or two along the way, who knows...

Dan,

You and I have come to the EXACT same conclusion on whether steering was a plus or minus for the Cooper jump. I presented it as a big liability in my symposium talk last weekend. Cooper chose the right rig for sure. Hard to think of a better rig for the jump he made actually. An Army T10 round canopy would let you down softer but I wouldnt trust deploying one at 190 mph. A C9 or Navy Coni can handle that no problem.

Very cool about flying a Carvair, such a unique acft. If you have any pix let me know. There are some Euro guys who are FANATICS about Carvairs and run a website that is all Carvair all the time. I bought the Carvair book recently published. Pricey but I can understand it. Such a limited market. http://www.amazon.com/ALT-98-Carvair-Comprehensive-Aircraft-Airframes/dp/0786436700

I am a DC 3 nut. Which one do you own? I've jumped many, but the most amazing performance was from Southern Cross which had 1820-86 engines and outclimbed any DC 3 I've been in.

Glad your case has evaporated.

Will Fat Annie fly again? I hear she has been sitting dormant in TX for years.

Blevins wrote:

I'm done. I sent everything we had to the Seattle FBI and offered some polite suggestions today. I'm working on one last thing regarding the case and that's IT for now. We did the book, tried to present what we had...which frankly is (IMHO) a bit more solid than what Marla Cooper offers.

Just notch back Robert, don't quit. Just drop by from time to time. That will allow you to focus on your immediate revenue generating tasks and still keep a foot in the water here. I enjoy having your particpation here and I'll bet I am not the only one.

Steerable is a disadvantage in this case. An expert would have selected no steering and the least drive. He did.

I totally agree DDan...the Army Airborne don't get steerable chutes...last I knew...for some of the same reasons...my son has says he has jumped so low he hit the ground before being able to release his rucksack on the lanyard.

A steerable canopy on Cooper's jump was definitely a disadvantage...as long as you were confident with your spot...if ya know what I mean...there is a shitload of water around the alleged DZ...ya know jumpers...we'll land on anything...even if it's the only power pole around...I know the odds are against that...but where there's a chance...it happens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6_1tpF79lI

ya she was a student...but us jumpers have seen it...time after time...steerable can kill you...ahh...isn't that how we're doing it now...dying under fully inflated, functional canopies...???...couldn't do that with a non-steerable round.

What are ya going to steer into, the least dark?

One of my flight instructors told me this..."if you have a forced off field landing at night...turn your landing light on...if you don't like what you see...turn it off!!!"

that's probably better than a stall/spin...

hangdiver

Harry Callahan