47 47
quade

DB Cooper

He was written off without a look because they said he didn't match the description.

Don't know if you meant it that way, but that line was pretty punny. (rhymes with funny) :)

I don't know for sure if KC was Cooper, but I think he deserves more attention in an investigation than say...Marla's uncle. ;)

Ok. I'll give you that - at the very least the same attention. Seems like they would check fingerprints at least.

On a side note, I think Farflung's poem is a winner.

...finally something we can agree on. :)
but....A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.....Winston Churchill

Okay someone I know ;) touched base with Geoffrey Gray about this so it might be in the works - but, if not - I hope somebody tapes the symposium for those of us that can't be there. He mentioned they might stream it but I've not heard anymore on that so I'm guessing that's not happening?

I'll pay for a dvd or whatever format. Probably be too problematic with different presenters having to give their permission? Not sure how all that works. I know I've presented before for a conference that my workplace sponsored and just had to sign a release for which I received a whole dollar. :)
377? Any law against video cameras at this thing? What ya think? Is it doable? Is there anyone willing to do it if it is?

but....A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.....Winston Churchill

Greetings All,

I have posted the full line-up for the forthcoming DB Cooper Symposium on the Mountain News:

http://themountainnewswa.net/2011/11/22/db-cooper-40th-anniversary-celebrations-include-first-ever-professional-symposium-on-americas-only-unsolved-skyjacking/

The gathering will include: Marla Cooper, Ralph and Jerry, Tom Kaye and Carol Abracadabra (spelling?), Ron and Pat Forman (talking about Barb Dayton) and some locals to sing, dance and tell us stories about the cultural impact.

Plus, we will have our very own 377, too.

In addition, Brian Ingram will be there to auction a $20. Also in attendence will be Musika Farnsworth, the freelancer who wrote about Sheridan for Parachutist magazine.

Rena Ruddell, Barb's daughter will be there to talk about her life with a most unusual father.

It's gonna be good.

But, Sluggo has not been mentioned. ???

I'm wondering about him too. Hasn't been around in a long while. Hope everything's good with him.

Would be cool if Ckret shows up too. :)

........................still trying to see if I can get some connecting flights from where I live to attend this conference.....................................although I'd better wear some pretty thick skin so as not to be scorched by some of the posters that will be there.................................so be on the look out for a 6-4 240 lb Clown.................I shouldn't be hard to miss........................

Just a brief respite to discuss what is arguably the most important social and political movement in past forty years, the occupy movement. I'd be curious to hear y'alls comments on a list of proposals to reform the finanacial system of the country, and the world.

...I presume you are talking 'most important' in terms of the US only.... Dictators being toppled and waves of political change sweeping the world are arguably more important than a bunch of well-off-enough kids holding up a few signs, cndemning the multinationals whose very products they are wearing/using :|

Yes, Orange, I stand corrected. It must be that "exeptionalism" of me and my countrymen and women that I keep hearing about for me to be so ethno-centric to the USA.

Sluggo may not be attending because he lives (I believe) in Alabama. Cooper should have picked a different holiday...sometimes it's tough to get away over Thanksgiving weekend.

However, you could send him an email through his Sluggo site and see what he says. Maybe he's planning on being a surprise guest or something.

Will Snowmman be there ?

Curtis Ng ?

Geestman ?

Porteous ?

Pam Curtis ?

Galen Cook ?

Cossey ?

Janet ?

You can tell us. Be sure and tell them.

Please forgive me if this has been discussed, but here is a story that is about 5 hours old. It talks about the titanium in the tie that has been discussed here. Not a lot of new info in the article, but the video at the bottom of the page mentions that there is a new suspect.

Interesting.

http://overheadbin.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/11/23/8982109-40-years-later-new-evidence-emerges-in-db-cooper-case
"They were saying he was never gonna make it now, now that daylight had set in. But later that night, they were shining those lights back down on that mountain again." - Todd Snider

Someone may want to fix that link so that it works. Sorry.

Guess Blevins is busy and cant reply -

The link is good. The problem is the shitty server on
the other end over loaded with advertising. The core
of the article is this:

In 1971 there was a big upheaval in the titanium industry with the cancelling of the SST project, which happened to be at Boeing, and that laid a lot of people off in the industry. So Cooper could have been part of the fallout,” said Kaye.

Boeing canceled its Super Sonic Transport project, one of the first civilian planes to use titanium, just months before the 1971 hijacking. Washington state was suddenly plunged into an economic crisis.

Could Cooper have been unemployed and so desperate that he would threaten to blow up a passenger jet and then parachute with $200,000 in ransom money?

Kaye said the titanium is pure, not processed like the kind used in aircraft manufacture. Kaye’s team believes he was probably employed at a titanium production or fabrication facility or a chemical plant. Chemical plants used titanium mixed with aluminum for their anti-corrosive properties. Kaye said aluminum particles were also found on Cooper’s tie.

Good luck. Blevins will explain everything for Tom
in due course.

still fucked up - probably shut down for the holiday
with a ton of advertising cookies to load on people's
computers ... wait 5 mins for the thing to load if its
going to -

what is "pure" titanium? Like "pure" jello or pure
gold ? What is Tom Kaye trying to say?

Tonight's the night.

Happy Anniversary, everyone.

Current weather conditions in Cooper County: 38 degrees at 600-foot elevation. Rain and fog. Winds are calm.

Snow levels expected to drop to 2500 feet tonight, and rising through the next few days to about 6500 feet by Saturday or so.

Over the past three days it's been raining "cats and dogs and elelphants," as one person put it today. I never heard that term before, but it's accurate. The ground is so soggy that we lost power in Eatonville twice last night as trees fell over.

Tonight's the night.

Happy Anniversary, everyone.

Current weather conditions in Coooper County:

what? when? where? blannnk spaaaace ?

smoke em if you got em

hunker down - they're just over the next hill
... being interviewed on tee vee. probably planning
to colonize the planet next .

still fucked up - probably shut down for the holiday
with a ton of advertising cookies to load on people's
computers ... wait 5 mins for the thing to load if its
going to -

what is "pure" titanium? Like "pure" jello or pure
gold ? What is Tom Kaye trying to say?

This link works okay for me. If all else fails, go the the original story on and scroll down to the story which is on the left side of the "Travel" section.

http://overheadbin.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/11/23/8982109-40-years-later-new-evidence-emerges-in-db-cooper-case

Georger:

I was able to read some of the replies and ONE REALLY got my attention, Georger. This is when I wish you allowed P.M.'s

Duane's exwife told me about an Italian man in Kansas who befriended Duane and HELPED him get the job with Pyramid Life insurance as John Collins. When Duane "F-ed" in 1966,he got really upset because Duane was doing a good job and making decent money...evidently the guy had personal contacts with the managers at Pyramid Life.

The FBI never verified Duane's or John's employment with Pyramid Life, but there are still survivors of that relationship who should have been interviewed by the FBI, but the FBI never approached them. The most important one with the most exposure and in an age group that would allow her story to have been supported is now deceased.

The post about the bakery deliverly boy was reason for my mind to revisit the story told to me by Duane's ex or lady of the day. I never knew who this Italian was - other than he had a restaurant in the same area Duane worked in for Pyramid Life.

That one reply seemed odd to me - because it was someone following this case who had a history in Kansas. I really believed the FBI screwed up by NOT investigating Duane's past as John Collins - or was it deliberately ignored.

A guy who delilvered pastries in Ks, Duane lived in Ks and was given access to a job by a major insurance company called Pyramid Life Insurance. A company who when I contacted them said their files had be ex-punged. Myself having been married even before Duane to another insurance man who made his living in the insurance industry - knew that the man should have been able to put me in touch with retired agents who might have had old pictures or have kept fliers or award presentations. Old insurance men don't die - they just fade away.
Copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 2013, 2014, 2015 by Jo Weber

Georger, did you ever find out what kind of products they produced and for who. You were really eager to have that information, but you never posted anything about what you found - if there was anything to find. Duane definitely worked for them in 1970 and I have the W-2 and the income tax report.

I will appreciate anything anyone can provide about Duane's past. One guy has been really throwing question at me - most of which I can't answer. Number one I don't know who he really is and besides that he wants "scans". This guy has NO IDEA that I have Dumb Blonde Sydrome and have NO idea how to scan a document. I also don't want to share documents that were found by Doug Pasternac - that just does NOT seem fair, but since it has been 15 yrs what do you guys think. It is just the prison records and his service records (they are really faded). No Jefferson was NOT one of the records he was able to obtain - NO ONE and I mean NO ONE got to those until the FBI placed them in public records and then they read Duane Weber / John Collins. This always rubbed me the wrong way. THEY COMMUTED JOHN COLLINS - NOT DUANE WEBER. Therefore why did the FBI wait until the master records on that prison are destroyed to tell me I could get them on line.

What was online was nothing. No original documents - just a normal form computer report.

Well, we are on countdown now. What time did Cooper jump in WA time?

Please forgive me if this has been discussed, but here is a story that is about 5 hours old. It talks about the titanium in the tie that has been discussed here. Not a lot of new info in the article, but the video at the bottom of the page mentions that there is a new suspect.

Interesting.

It is interesting. If the report is accurate, I wonder if it's Vicki's father? Who knows, maybe they are checking out Kenny again.:)Looks like they're keeping it a little closer to the vest now since the LD thing. Course could be someone we've never discussed.
And you know .. if they come out and say the prints match Mel Wilson - who hasn't been heard from since 1971 - there will always be doubters who think they are picking a convenient patsy to support the "he died" theory. If alive, Mel probably won't be coming out of the woodwork to say any different.
It will never end till they find the bony fingers clutching that $20 bill. Just the nature of the beast ;):)

Georger, did you ever find out what kind of products they produced and for who. You were really eager to have that information, but you never posted anything about what you found - if there was anything to find. Duane definitely worked for them in 1970 and I have the W-2 and the income tax report.

Grade 1, Commercially Pure Titanium Composition

Titanium 99.67
Carbon 0.08
Iron 0.03
Nitrogen 0.03
Oxygen 0.18
Hydrogen 0.015
Percentage by weight

Handbook of Cooperhelia says:

Grade 1 Commercially Pure Titanium Titanium is
classified in two categories: 1- commercially pure
titanium (Ti) which is used in the chemical process
industries and The purer forms of Ti are resricted to
a very small market.

2- titanium alloys having additives such as
aluminum (Al) and vanadium (V) and which are used
for jet aircraft engines, airframes and other
components.

Unalloyed and alloyed titanium have been used in
medical engineering for many years and include the
following:

joint replacement parts for hip, knee, shoulder,
spine, elbow and wrist,

bone fixation materials such as nails, screws, nuts
and plates,

dental implants and parts for orthodontic surgery
and dental prosthetics,

heart pacemaker housings and artificial heart valves,
surgical instruments for heart and eye surgery,

components in high-speed blood centrifuges.

Titanium has long been considered an exotic metal.
In recent years there has been a progressive change
in its image from an expensive curiosity to material
much more familiar to consumers as it finds more
commercial applications such as eyeglass frames,
sports equipment, accessories and art, in its alloyed
forms.

German sands 1972 titanium production exported
to America - few refiners graders processors - see
DuPont - see Matha DuPont and Kathryn P at Bowels
Antiques (north of Boston) - Titanium patents filed
1971-72 in prosthetics & other medical applications -
contracts cancelled by DuPont 1971-72 to refiners -
German supply contracts cancelled KMML Kerala -
das ist alles.

Grade 1, Commercially Pure Titanium Composition

Titanium 99.67
Carbon 0.08
Iron 0.03
Nitrogen 0.03
Oxygen 0.18
Hydrogen 0.015
Percentage by weight

Handbook of Cooperhelia says:

Grade 1 Commercially Pure Titanium Titanium is
classified in two categories: 1- commercially pure
titanium (Ti) which is used in the chemical process
industries and The purer forms of Ti are resricted to
a very small market.

2- titanium alloys having additives such as
aluminum (Al) and vanadium (V) and which are used
for jet aircraft engines, airframes and other
components.

Unalloyed and alloyed titanium have been used in
medical engineering for many years and include the
following:

joint replacement parts for hip, knee, shoulder,
spine, elbow and wrist,

bone fixation materials such as nails, screws, nuts
and plates,

dental implants and parts for orthodontic surgery
and dental prosthetics,

heart pacemaker housings and artificial heart valves,
surgical instruments for heart and eye surgery,

components in high-speed blood centrifuges.

Titanium has long been considered an exotic metal.
In recent years there has been a progressive change
in its image from an expensive curiosity to material
much more familiar to consumers as it finds more
commercial applications such as eyeglass frames,
sports equipment, accessories and art, in its alloyed
forms.

Germans sands 1972 toitanium prpduction exported
to America - see DuPont - see Matha DuPont and
Kathryn Jeanne P at Bowels Antiques (north of
Boston) - Titanium patents filed 1971-72 in
prosthetics - contracts cancelled by DuPont 1971-72
to refiners - das ist alles.

:)
Something did catch my eye in your post - dental prosthetics. Duane had a bridge, but don't know what yr. 1971 or 1972. The ex Duane lived with as John Collins claimed Duane was having an affair with the woman who would become his next wife only 1 month after his divorce from her. This woman's family member was a dentist and the one who made Duane's bridge.

I still have the metal frame (it was sent to the FBI and they returned it). It was in a pill bottle and cleaned - Duane kept it even though he had a new appliance. I NEVER saw Duane without this - NOT ever.

This dentist in Atlanta did have his own lab. I remember little of what Duane told me about this woman he married or her family -I know the woman refused to discuss Duane - other than to tell me how BAD he was...she did NOT want anyone to connect her to Duane. She told me NOT to reveal her name or location. Sluggo will tell you - I never did.

The first time I contacted her - I swore I would never contact her again, but I did one more time. She was more receptive to me that time and some of the bitterness had left her. We were both victims and I apologized for intruding into her life explaining I just really needed to know who this man was that charmed so many women in his past and yet was such a terrible person. The conversation was short and unproductive - other than my statement above.