2 2
skyjack71

D B Cooper Unsolved Skyjacking

***I think you 'heard' wrong. In 1972 Ted LEASED the then abandoned airport at Sheridan, OR for his dz business. It was some time in the late '80's that he entered into a sales contract with the owner. He was not able to continue to make the req'd payments and the property reverted back to the seller.

JerryBaumchen

Jerry! What the hell do you think your doing posting facts here?

:P

Jerry,

Thanks. How is it then that a guy like DD can go on TV and tell the world how Mayfield went from broke to plush life in under a year? There must be more to the story than I've written.

Anyone else care to comment or add to the summary of Mayfield?

I don't believe everything I see on TV.

Yea Jerry, Mickey was pissed off Minnie flashed her boobs to Mighty Mouse as he rode by on his harley flashing gang signs and sporting shades, and that Minnie, what a ho she turned out to be, met up with that sneaky Might Mouse at the road house, when she went for "coffee" and drove by the road house and saw that Harley sitting at the road house bar, next to "sea tac" and being the bad part of town and all, that tramp Minnie split with Mighty Mouse on the back of that Harley showing tits to everyone in the parking lot.

Mickey was pissed now and hatched his evil plan to get that Mighty Mouse and get him good, he left no trail of droppings or finger prints and took NWA for a cool 200K, just enough to buy his and her harley's and half a ton of blow, he got all tweeked out and on his way to Telluride met a new dame Squeaky Mouse and they rode off into history to never be seen again.

Rumor has it they are in Ixtapa running a dz and moving kilos to the gringos.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Jose, thanks for the reference on the moon and sun.

Jerry, great example of what we need more of.

Speedy, (now back to theory) you hit the nail on the head, from everything I have seen Cooper did have jump training, just not enough. He also lacked enough jumps to fully realize what he was getting himself into, therefore, he got himself into it.

It was 173 knots, not 173 mph.

Maybe its time I take the leap, someone recommended Snohomish as the place to go for a tandem jump, is there any other place around the Seattle area where i can do a tandem?

Maybe its time I take the leap, someone recommended Snohomish as the place to go for a tandem jump, is there any other place around the Seattle area where i can do a tandem?

http://www.skydivesnohomish.com/

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Hi Jack (Ooops, can't say that can we????),

Holy smolians, what was I thinking. I'll have to go outside and stand in the rain for an hour or so.:D

Ckret, You can also do a tandem at Skydive Kapowsin. They are located on the airport at Shelton, WA.

JerryBaumchen

Jo

Duane told me about an area that you could see the lights from for a long ways

its difficult to plan a landing area looking through the side windows of a plane. "Spotting" is not impossible, but very difficult. And if only looking through the back door (id say impossible on this plane unless finding ur target looking straight down ...which is unlikely)

he may have been the pilot?

Call Perris Valley, CA, and see if they will take you tandem out of the jet.

http://www.skydiveperris.com/

(Be sure to tell them what case you are working.);)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

In 1971, was it possible to plug-in the the phone lines to make a call like the the Bell linemen used to do? was this suspect familiar with phone technology?

The call in question was placed between 90 & 120 minutes following the jump (9:41 to 10:11 pm).

I don't know why not, seen a couple TDM's go out of it.

I was wondering if they had done it; Didn't know for sure. Thanks for the confirmation!
It just seems like the only appropriate way to introduce Mr. Carr to skydiving!B|
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

It was 173 knots, not 173 mph.

Let's get this in perspective, folks.

Hurrican Gilbert, "The Storm of the Century" had peak winds of 173 knots. 173 knots is 199.084845 mph.

The plane, with flaps and wheels down, is aerodynamically dirty and kicking up some wild turbulence. And DB jumped into this literal 200 MPH hurricane with a hastily tied package of money.

Up thread, various comments indicate how wild the 727 exit is.

The more I know, the more convinced I am that he lost the money. Using suspension line to tie the package would be very difficult, I think.

Can any riggers comment on the difficulty of using the lines of a conical reserve to wrap a package capable of withstanding 200 mph?
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

No experienced parachutist would have jumped in the pitch-black night, in the rain, with a 200 mile an hour wind in his face, wearing loafers & a trench coat. It was simply too risky.

a skydiver wound not of cared about a few things:
the night
the rain
200 mph
loafers
(Trench coat would have been a concern unless stowed)

outdoorsman in Nov would have been concerned about:
the "cold rain"
loafers
the wetness

imo

john rich...correct me if im wrong or if you have an opinion since ur an out doorsman and a diver (may not apply due to warm weather outdoorsman).

Well 550 is strong as hell and he had a lot of to work with, it would depend on how he used it and how it was "maybe" attached to him on exit, I see no reason he could not have left with his back to the RW feet first and tumbled thru the exit till he slowed down and then deployed.

That Mighty Mouse, he's one tough cookie!
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Well 550 is strong as hell and he had a lot of to work with, it would depend on how he used it.

I agree. To put it in perspective, one line of 550 could withstand a 25 pounds x 10g shock. If you use two lines, that's enough to take care of loss of efficiency from knots and allow for 15g shock (enough to cause injury), so IF the package itself is secure, it would be easy enough to tie it adequately to a harness.

And it would have to be tied to the harness. He would not likely have been successful if he tried to hold on to the briefcase by its handle, or if he tried to hold on to an impromptu handle for a money bundle. I have jumped unmodified canopy-first deployment, and the only times they didn't open hard was when they opened really hard.

Mark

who wants to reenact the jump at the dz to prove one can jump with the volume/weight of money cooper had?

it does not have to be a rigger,,,,,they might be way too conservative anyway.

Can any riggers comment on the difficulty of using the lines of a conical reserve to wrap a package capable of withstanding 200 mph?

who wants to reenact the jump at the dz to prove one can jump with the volume/weight of money cooper had?

I already said I would and I have the gear to do it, as long as your going to pay me 200K. to do it, plus travel and lodging expense and that's a non refundable cashiers check.

mythbusters...id do it where the FBI thinks DB cooper did it.... id have to rent old gear from stratostar and a plane from Perris.

both of us could team and do it for about $92k (he would rent me the equipment, id jump). Just think of the viewers !!!!!