Amazon

Old Airplanes from "Back in the Day" where are they now

Soooo

Another thread got me to thinking.... what DZ's here in the US are still flying the old jumpships..here in the 21st Century.

I am not talking about the myriad of Skyvans..... Twin Otters....C-208 Caravans.... Casa's and PAC750's out there... I am talking the really old wierd flying things that might be in your area.

I know LOTS of DZ's have C-182 and lord knows I have have jumped a hell of a lot of Cessna's C-182...C-180... C-185....C-206...C-207....C-170...C-172

I have jumped the Beech 18 at Eloy

I have jumped the DC-3's at Elsinore and Eloy.

I have jumped the DH-2 Beaver that Ralph has at skydive Eagle Creek in Oregon.

Heck we have a sweet Porter at our DZ in Washington.. which is somewhat of a rareity these days.

BUT where are the really unique airplanes to fall out of....I need to add something new to the logbook.

good question. back in the day... at steve snyders drop zone in new jersey we had an old howard dga 13.he replaced that with a stinson mule,which was a one of a kind prototype built by the late dave steves.it was a heavily modified stinson V77. it had all the fabric coverings replaced by metal, the anemic stock 450 pratt and whitney was replaced by a 650,both doors were permanently removed,and the right seat was turned around facing the rear for jumpmastering. this thing climbed at over 1000 ft per minute. noisy as hell.a favorite display was to get as much airspeed as posible ,hold it on the runway till the very end and just stand it on its tail. it would climb to about 300 feet (in just a few seconds)then be leveled off.what a rush!it was sold to perris where it operated till it crashed in 1970.

WFFC www.freefall.com

Look at the plane list from over the years, amazing variety. Connie, B 17, B 24, Ford Tri Motor, Martin 404 etc.
Last year we had an ATL 98 Carvair, looked a lot like a 747 with four radials. In fact I heard a spectator telling his kid that it WAS a very early model of the 747.
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Used to jump a Beaver (no smart-ass comments, please) when I was in the 173rd A/B club on Okinawa back in the day. I have also jumped the MI-6 and MI-8 helos in Russia as well as the IL-76 BIG transport and my all-time best the TU-95 Bear bomber. The only aircraft I was really afraid to fly in. A flying coffin, but a great entry in the logbook!

here's something you don't see every day: AN-2

http://www.westriverskysports.com/aircraft.htm

Not long ago I spoke with an AN-2 pilot who was in the DC area. He said that he loved flying the plane, but that his (not used for jumpers) was a bit thirsty and it took forever to get to altitude with a load on it. He questioned whether they'd be practical for skydiving on a regular basis. Great cropduster in the Ukraine, though!

Dayum... look at all the hippies..:P

Nope never jumped one of them....

Whats a hippie[:/]

They look like a bunch of bikers with those funny looking motorcycle helmets.

you know the helmets that are crash rated, but don't look to cool.

R.I.P.

I got LOTS of jumps out of those.. although ours were N models assigned to the Rescue Unit at Homestead AFB. Most of those were demo water jumps under a C-9 into Biscayne Bay at the USAF Sea Survival School... I still love water jumps..:)

I jumped out of this Stinson many times at Norfolk, MA in the late '60s.
It had a ball of putty on top of the instrument panel, which the pilot used as temporary storage for nuts and bolts that had fallen out onto the floor.

I understand it is now in the Museum of Flight in Seattle.

HW

I jumped out of this Stinson many times at Norfolk, MA in the late '60s.
It had a ball of putty on top of the instrument panel, which the pilot used as temporary storage for nuts and bolts that had fallen out onto the floor.

I understand it is now in the Museum of Flight in Seattle.

HW

The ball of putty or the plane?:)
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I came across a video of me and my girlfriend, at the time, jumping out of Mullin's Helio Stallion at Muskogee. That was a unique airplane. Not sure how many of them are left. And something else that was cool was that Tom Piras was on the load. Anyone have pics of that plane?

Our Pilot at NW Skydivers has a really nice Helio Courier and its almost all put back together( replacing some of the parts on the exhaust system... the tunnel on the bottom of the fusalage needed some repairs).. they are also restoring one for another guy.. and IT has this sweet little TURBINE engine sitting there ready to go into it...

I should be able to add this one to my list.. soon:)
There are at least 4 of them at the airport here.