crotalus01

can one of you old-timers explain....

Hi crotalus01,

Sparky has the info you were asking about.

There were many, many errors in that article; I spent some time on the phone today with the editor.

Jerry

PS) 1. Does anyone think the first Gold Wings were awarded in 1976?

2. Anyone know when FS (relative work) first began as a Nationals event?

The anti-windblast handle was a standard reserve ripcord on the original CrossBow Piggyback rig if my memory serves me correct. As the article stated it was designed as a single direction pull and in a panic mode it killed too many people without the modification to make it uni-directional. Once modified there was a tendancy to loosen the tension on the clip and the ripcord either floated or caused premature activation of the reserve during a tight exit. Subsequently the easiest solution was to ban them entirely.
You haven't lived until you've almost died"

John Berke (Jack's dad) got Diamond Wings 141 in 1975. That would imply that there were others before him...

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

My first rig was a double shorty Wonderhog that had a blast handle, and I lost count of how many people told me I was going to die if I had a function. If you grabbed it with your left hand and pulled down, towards your feet, it worked great. If you grabbed it with your right hand, or pulled it in any other direction, it did not work. That was the way it was designed. Had 5 functions on that rig, no problem at all with any of them. BS, BD

The anti-windblast handle was a standard reserve ripcord on the original CrossBow Piggyback rig if my memory serves me correct. As the article stated it was designed as a single direction pull and in a panic mode it killed too many people without the modification to make it uni-directional. Once modified there was a tendancy to loosen the tension on the clip and the ripcord either floated or caused premature activation of the reserve during a tight exit. Subsequently the easiest solution was to ban them entirely.

The first reserve "ripcord" on the X-Bow was a reddish-orange "lollypop" type handle. That was changed to the anti-windblast handle, then to the cloverleaf handle type.

As a rigger and collector of old ripcords I was curious about the status of blast handles. I could not find any reference in current USPA publications about their status so I contacted the USPA. They told me that they are no longer considered banned and the prohibition against them has been removed from USPA rules and regs because it was felt that no modern rig builder or modern jumper would consider using such old technology so it was useless to continue keeping the rule on the books.

I had one on my rig and I got to use it twice with no problem..like you said... just pull it down:)

Had one too..used it once in free-fall...and ahhhhh.....several times AFTER the ban....drilled out... as a "Safety Meeting" item!;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I had one on my rig and I got to use it twice with no problem..like you said... just pull it down:)

Had one too..used it once in free-fall...and ahhhhh.....several times AFTER the ban....drilled out... as a "Safety Meeting" item!;)

Was the stylemaster belly reserve the first rig to have the reserve ripcord mounted in the center of the belly wart rather than the right side, like all the military surplus crap;)

We remember seeing pic's in parachutist of a center pull reserve handle with bent pins from at least one jumper pulling their reserve handle to the right side.:o

Anyone know the story behind when the pins got bent? Hanging harness or :o:o:o.

R.I.P.

BTW what's a "old timer" B|

I don't know if it was the 'first'...

My old Stylemaster could be used either way, center pull or right side pull...it came with two reserve ripcords when I bought it used, I was the 2nd owner.

I lost the right side pull handle when I threw it so I could 'cover' the capewells...I never did like the center pull because we use to do a lot of 'Combat' RW, and I was always concerned about 'bumping' it out and getting a premature reserve.

I was given a Jerry Bird no ripcord flatpack reserve that I used for quite a few jumps...HOT TICKET!B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Before changing to a Wonderhog, I had one for my Main ripcord on my B12 container. The trick (main or reserve) is to tack the housing about 2" from the handle. That way, no matter which way you pull the handle, the housing follows allowing a straight pull. Mine was not drilled out and I put over 300 jumps on that rig.

When I put one on my Wonderhog for the reserve, I intalled it the same way, 2" of housing between the handle and the tacking or nylon cover.

Interestingly, the one cutaway I had on the Wonderhog was with the original plastic ripcord (28' C-9 cheapo, 26' Navy Con reserve). Once I moved to the Strato-Star, malfunctions were no longer in my future. I put about 100 jumps on it with ropes & rings and another 550 with a slider.

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

As a rigger and collector of old ripcords I was curious about the status of blast handles. I could not find any reference in current USPA publications about their status so I contacted the USPA. They told me that they are no longer considered banned and the prohibition against them has been removed from USPA rules and regs because it was felt that no modern rig builder or modern jumper would consider using such old technology so it was useless to continue keeping the rule on the books.

What was interesting was USPA did not have the authority to ban squat. If was up to the FAA to ban components and the DZO to enforce it. That was before “Group Members” and USPA became a trade origination for DZs. USPA was arrogant enough to think their rules were law.>:(
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Hi Twardo,

Jerry Bird no ripcord flatpack reserve

Now that was a 'different' reserve container. If some of you
not so old' types want to see something strange, try to find one of those.

I always wondered how it got through the TSO testing

I have a buddy..Jim Fonnesbeck....jumped a Bird reserve right up until he quit jumping recently.
Scary shit.....like most of the old gear.

Jerry

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

I have heard rumors that not all gear was TSO'd back in the day.:)

I always wondered about the Para Dactyl, which was funky enough as a main, but which was used for a while as a reserve. The smallest, lightest assembly ever was the Para Dactyl main and reserve, called "Double-Dactyl Death". :S I'd be interested to know the TSO status of that thing. ;)

Kevin

Simple, the double dactyl rigs were NOT TSO'd.:P

Larry Yohn had one were he cut the rear reserve risers off and had the lines sewn to the remaining riser to save weight. :P

RIP Larry. I liked him alot (he died on a bad demo landing). I do remember the "double dayctal" rig, it was cut down to the bone!! He even removed the cut away housings and had loops of 5/5 S/S Lolon coated cable installed to chop, much like "tape wells". freaky rig, but it worked well. I was always amazed with his landings under a single keel and a prosthetic leg, SOB made it look like it was a natural thing to do. Still wish he was here!:( I had one or two races with him from the "ghetto" to PVA on our street bikes. He rode a honda single piston (forget the model now) and
I rode a honda CB 650 4, good times.

Mick.