marcusr

Triangular Main Canopy

Does anyone out there have a triangular main canopy they would be interesting in selling or loaning to me. I've been reading up about them lately in Dan Poynter's parachute manual and I find them rather intriguing. I my searches, i even found a photo of a RAM AIR-not single surface- triangle! Anybody know anything about that?
Thanks
-Marcus

I assume you are refering to the Delta 11. Imade 125 jumps on one that big Bill Weber had owned 3trades ago .I heard that he never landed it so I would do stand-ups in the peas just to piss him off . Itook out the steering panel and relined it to paradactyl line lengths ,never did fly good after that.There was also asingle and double keel Paradactyl, with sliders and OSIs for awhile .There was also aPolish-commander half PC and half Delta11, complete with an arrowsewn into the pattern so you would know which way you were facing . I could out fly Strato-stars with both my delta11s THe front keel line was 27 feet long and you couldpull down on a toggle and get a canopy below you spin.I still have it in thegarage but as I said it was real slow now.It would fit in a container made for a PC. I hope this helps.If you find one let me know and I can talk you through the OSI modification and packing to open good.

There were, if memory serves, two production triangles (at least in the US).
The first was the Delta II Parawing. It had a color-coded strap, an Opening Shock Inhibitor (OSI) which wrapped around groups of color-coded lines and unwrapped in sequence to release lines. I have some early 1970's color movies (now on DVD) of a Delta II landing; you can clearly see the OSI.
Somewhat more recently there was the Paradactyl; it was a Jim Handbury product.
If you do a search here on DZ.com for these names you will find several threads, including pictures.
I could probably find somone with a Delta II; never knew anyone locally with a 'Dactyl.

HW

Catfish in Texas had one that he got from somewhere.

Catfish is in Colorado now, or he will be when he gets back from his honeymoon ;) I remember him saying he'd "never jump that POS Russian thing again", but it might have been a different Russian thing, he had so many odd canopies.....

I'm pretty sure I met someone up at Raeford that had a dactyl. I don't remember a name though.

I had a teammate in the old days who jumped one (in 1976 as I recall, at the World Cup). He did some CRW too I'm pretty sure.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

You are probably referring to a Thunderbow, which was a Para-Commander class canopy even if its was triangular in shape. Thunderbows were made in the USA during the 1970s. The arrow pointed towards the front corner.

There's a good picture of a Thunderbow in the original "Skies Call" by Andy Keech, the first of the three books he published. This book came out around 1974 and has lots of great shots of Paracommanders, Paraplanes, and some great early RW with lots of gut gear, big boots & small suits.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Guys & gals (sorry, not Politically Correct, I know)

I am looking for packing instructions for the Security Crossbow and Thunderbow main canopies. I realize the X-Bow is similar enough that I could use Para Commander data, but I would like to have the X-bow and T-bow instructions just the same.

Thanks everyone!

You are probably referring to a Thunderbow, which was a Para-Commander class canopy even if its was triangular in shape. Thunderbows were made in the USA during the 1970s. The arrow pointed towards the front corner.

There's a good picture of a Thunderbow in the original "Skies Call" by Andy Keech, the first of the three books he published. This book came out around 1974 and has lots of great shots of Paracommanders, Paraplanes, and some great early RW with lots of gut gear, big boots & small suits.

Here's my old Thunderbow from back in the 70's. It was fun. Full drive required both toggles down far enough to "inflate" the nose. Down close to stall, it would fly really stable in reverse.

Oh, and you never got lost - just follow the arrow, ha.

fergs

Does anyone out there have a triangular main canopy they would be interesting in selling or loaning to me. I've been reading up about them lately in Dan Poynter's parachute manual and I find them rather intriguing. I my searches, i even found a photo of a RAM AIR-not single surface- triangle! Anybody know anything about that?
Thanks
-Marcus

the DeltaII?

That photo looks suspiciously like a Barish Sailwing. Doesn't look like the double keel dactyl I remember.
U sure about that?

Yup. That was a Rogallo wing. The Sailwing was rectangular.
See attached.

(I almost jumped a Sailwing once. Two of us planned to; the other guy won the toss, had to chop, and I passed on the opportunity.B|)

HW

That photo looks suspiciously like a Barish Sailwing. Doesn't look like the double keel dactyl I remember.
U sure about that?

Yup. That was a Rogallo wing. The Sailwing was rectangular.
See attached.

(I almost jumped a Sailwing once. Two of us planned to; the other guy won the toss, had to chop, and I passed on the opportunity.B|)

HW

I stand corrected.

Doc
http://www.manifestmaster.com/video