Trae

Would you jump out of this aircraft ?

If you recognise yourself there G'day . Perhaps some -one could share what is was like to fly such a big oiler.

Apparently the Skyraider (Douglas AD7) was the last single engined fighter/attack plane on the US inventory.

Sort of shows why turbines beacame so popular.;)

This thing could lift more than its own weight in fuel and ordnance.
initial climb 3200ft/min
max weight 25000 lb (11350kg)
Serv ceiling 25000'
max speed 343mph

What a wild jump ship it would have made with a few mods:)

Apparently the Skyraider (Douglas AD7) was the last single engined fighter/attack plane on the US inventory.

------------------------------------------------------------

That appears to be a Skyraider A1E

bozo

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

bozo

Sandy?

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

bozo

Sandy?

yup thats a Sandy...also known as a "Spad" by the go fast zoomie flyers.

bozo

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Yep - that bird was in many respects the top choice close air support up into the Vietnam war. It could carry plenty of fuel and ordnance and could lumber over the potential battlefield for hours.

I had a tabbed out E-7 who said that the A1E was his favorite airplane. He thinks those planes saved his life a few times.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

in reply to all th replies

Cheers you guys ..............must be a heap of memories floating around from flying beasts such as these . Perhaps some of the sweeter ones can be extracted some how......... painlessly.

Looking at pictures and reading the common books about such events gets a bit repetitive .

I wonder if there's any military aircrew from the 50's & 60's & 70's still kicking about doing the odd skydive.? Must be I'd suppose.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that'd be interested in a yarn or two.:)
What if I asked 'Please Sir(s) can you tell us a story?"

:$

Yep - that bird was in many respects the top choice close air support up into the Vietnam war. It could carry plenty of fuel and ordnance and could lumber over the potential battlefield for hours.

It could carry more ordinance than an F-4 and like you say, the on station time was great. For close air support it was the best thing going in Vietnam.

Sparky, 2nd. Batt. 3rd. Marines, 1967/68
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I doubt if any military personal ever jumped from AD1 Skyraiders.

AD-1 Skyraiders were only mentioned briefly in Bruce F. Meyers' "Fortune Favors the Brave" (a first-hand account of USMC Recon HALO and SCUBA development during the 1950s). Meyers never jumped a Skyraider, preferring to prefect techniques for jumping from Douglas RD-4 (US Navy version of Super DC-3 transport), Grumman Trader (Carrier Onboard Delivery version of Tracker), Douglas Skyknight (twin-jet, night-fighter) and Douglas Skywarrior (twin-jet bomber).
Meyers also tracked USMC Recon operations during the Vietnam War, but never mentioned combat jumps from Skyraiders.
So it is safe to say that USMC Recon never jumped from Skyraiders.

It is possible that British or French Special Operations might have jumped from Skyraiders, but those Spec Ops types are notoriously tight-lipped about their insertion methods.
I suspect that a few (British) Royal Navy anti-submarine AD5 Skyraiders were gutted for the COD role. The AD5 version had a wider fuselage - that looked almost as big as a Trader (or single Otter)fuselage - one of the largest fuselages ever pulled through the air by a single engine!
That huge fuselage could hold a pair of pilots up front, a pair of electronics operators in the upper, rear cockpit and two more operators in the lower, aft compartment. That lower, aft compartment was accessed by a small, oval door (similar in size to a Beech 18 door, the smallest version) just aft of the wing. So it would have been possible to bail out of a Skyraider, but only wearing a parachute. That door is far too small to jump with rucksack, rifle and snowshoes.

Trae

There's still lots of us military aircrews around from "back in the day"'

C-130
1966-1970
USAF Loadmaster

If you want a seldom told story about the C-130E back in the day google the USAF C-130E stolen from mildenhall england around 1968-1969 by the crew chief.:o:S

True story except the offical explanation the plane went down in the english channel is questionable IMO.

There's still lots of us military aircrews around from "back in the day"'

I had about 300 jumps when I became a B-52 Tailgunner (Defensive Fire Control Operator) in the USAF in 1973. I spent a lot of time flying in those babies with a rig on my back, but never had occasion to leave in flight. :(

Kevin K.
BUFF Gunner
Models D, F & G
USAF 1973 - 77

I got a closer look at an AD1 Skyraider during the recent EAA Fly-In at Arlington, Washington.
That aft compartment door is tiny, way smaller than the smallest door installed in any Beech 18.
Even trying to squeeze out of it with a chest-mounted reserve would be a challenge!
Forget about the rucksack, rifle and snowshoes!

It's good to know you guys are out there.

It can be a bit difficult to track down different stories from the guys that were there for real.
So much flying but mostly invisible behind the scenes military stuff.

The best stories include those little niggly things that only the flyers and their buddies knew about.
Hopefully not all the detailed info concerning so many airmen and aircraft is lost in time.

One of my favourite recently found aircrew stories involves grease monkeys that liked to fly the planes a bit. This particular crew (WW2pacific) used to check their jobs by flying at low level (5 feet) instead of taxiing them. B| The photo is somewhere showing several of the ground crew lying on top of the wing while the crew chief
'taxis' at about 5' altitude.

Can't let those pilots have all the fun