murrays

Are Boenish videos available anywhere?

Can anybody tell me where, if anywhere, I could get hold of Carl Boenish's films....such as "Skydive", "Wings", "Playground in the Sky" and anything else that Carl produced?

Murray
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

tp://www.skydivingvideos.de/index1.htm

claims to have them in PAL format, so US viewers would have to convert to NTSC (not too hard to get done.)

Carl shot only film (AFAIK) so any video would presumably be converted and lose quality. I have access to several of them, but as with Chuck's they 're in pretty bad shape. I showed them at the DZ a couple of months ago and the newbies were amazed by the gear, the size of the jumpsuits, and the people crawling all over the Beech.

HW

And I seem to recall an interesting shot of someone going through an open canopy a few feet in front of the cameraman right at the end of the movie.... Also the original El Cap jumps made a neat movie....
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Thanks to everybody for the links and reminders of other Boenish films. I may get those PAL tapes from Germany. If I could get the PAL converted to DV-NTSC I'd burn them onto a DVD or two.

I spent hours and hours and hours watching his videos at a friend's place back in the mid-80's. it was pretty mind-blowing stuff. The original El Cap footage blew me away...with the backwards facing camera on one jumper...just spectacular!

Skypuppy - Do you know if Jean Boenish might have any of these videos and/or where she can be contacted? I wonder what happened to his original film. It would be a tragedy if it has gotten lost or damaged.

Blue skies,

Murray
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Do you know if Jean Boenish might have any of these videos and/or where she can be contacted? I wonder what happened to his original film. It would be a tragedy if it has gotten lost or damaged.

Jean is very difficult to contact, even for those who are her friends. I believe that Rick Harrison can access a fair bit of the original BASE footage, although my understanding is that much of it is degraded to the point where it is unsalvageable.

If you are interested in getting in touch with Rick, PM or email me for his email address.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

It is two-way - there are some stills from the film in Bud Sellick's 'The Wild Wonderful World of Parachutes and Parachuting', p 137. Ken Vos and Willie Manbo snapped 13 suspension lines. Manbo suffered a fractured shoulder, while Vos needed plastic surgery for facial lacerations as well as a broken jaw and cracked ribs... Weatherford (the open jumper) landed safely under his reserve...

If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

canopycollision.jpg

> shot of someone going through an open canopy

I was on that jump. It was Willy Manbo and Ken Vos
going through Bill's(? spacing his name out) canopy.

He had gotten below us and then gotten scared being
down there by himself and had pulled.

It was right at the end of the jump. Carl didn't even know
he had it until he developed the film (16 mm gun camera).

It was at Elsinore and I'm pretty sure it was summer 1966.

Skr

> It is two-way - there are some stills from the film in Bud Sellick's

Aha - I didn't see this post down here when
I replied to the one above.

One further bit of arcane knowledge that probably
no one will ever need again is that that meadow
on the mountain in the background disappears at
1,800 ft.

It was one of the visual clues for when to pull.

Skr

Orian,

I think there are quite a few of us that would love to help preserve Carl's work. Do you know if the rights are owned by anybody?
--
Murray

I have been in contact with Klaus Heller of "Skydivingvideos.de" and ordered the Boenish movies on PAL videos. I asked Klaus in regard to NTSC copies for the US market and this is what he replied:

"Carl Boenish was a good friend of mine. After his death I made an agreement
with Jean, that I could keep the rights for the PAL-area based on the
contract I already had with Carl. I still have a very loose contact with
Jean, but it looks like she is not interested to continue the business.
That´s why Carl´s films are not to be found on NTSC. For my business, I also
want to keep concentrated on the PAL-market."
---------------------------------------------------------
When people look like ants - pull. When ants look like people - pray.

I dont know about videos but I do have several photos of him that were taken over Elisnore back in the 60's by my grandfather. I also have an article that was published on March 26, 1972 in the Los Angles Herald Examiner about Carl titled "Skydiving: The high stakes of Survival".
-Rob

As mentioned I ordered the VHS (PAL) copy from Klaus Heller in Germany and now had the video for a few weeks now. It is excellent and of good quality. The video contains: Sky Dive, Wings, Masters of the Sky and Sky Capers.
I really enjoyed watching these again and singing along to the excellent songs :) (after a few cold beers). Was very appropriate for me to get them now - it is exactly 25 years since my first jump and they used to show these on 16 mm in my parachute club when I started. Remember I thought at the time the US exhibition team were "gods".
Took the video to my DZ a couple of weeks ago and showed it to those "young fellows". Interesting reaction. Most could not believe how accurate people landed with roundies :ph34r: and the "bulkiness" of the old equipment.
But those young people have no taste in music :( they turned down the original music and put their "modern" stuff on while they were watching ;). Made me feel old...:P
---------------------------------------------------------
When people look like ants - pull. When ants look like people - pray.

I, too, would like to contact Jean or anyone else who has for some footage of Jerry Thompson. After he died most of his friends took his stuff and what remained got ruined in the flood. His son would really appreciate it.[:/]

Hello again Skratch,

I remember this one. I talked to Willy about it at the ass dive weekend for Gary Douris last November. Willy still looks the same. Hector was also there.

I found a copy of Masters of the Sky that Carl had sent to Paul in the 70's. It has a very short shot of this jump in it.

Dennis

Ya got me on that one. Or I should say, I got myself on that one. Well hell, the only thing I can say is, I made it through the 60's so I always have it on my mind. Even when I'm talking about ash dives.

He said with a little smile on his face and a bigger smile in his mind...

Holy seven year old thread Batman!

This was posted in the comments section at You Tube:

Classic Carl Boenish films are available on a complete 2
DVD set, with all this copyrighted material digitally
remastered and color corrected by the original producer,
Photo-Chuting Enterprises, Hawthorne, California, USA.
Here is your chance to suggest insert information,
packaging, order method, and value of receiving Carls
wonderful films directly from their true source.

I would guess this is Jean's company.

Found this address;

Photo-Chuting Enterprises
12619 Manor Dr
Hawthorne, CA 90250
Phone: (310) 676-1935

Thanks Tom,

I'll give it a go. I talked with Jean years ago about this subject, but could not get anything going at the time. There is still a lot to learn by watching Carl's films. There are a lot of people in them that will bring up great memories for a lot of us.

It took seven years because I don't read fast. But I can still fall fast.

Regards,
SCR-216