1 1
steve1

Scary stories from the old days?

I had an old cheapo (28' 7-TU) that seemed to always get a lot of burns. I patched them with duct tape and it worked just fine. Eventually, however, the canopy came to have quite a bit of tape on it. When flaking it to pack, I had to have help creasing the duct tape at the folds, because it was so stiff it wouldn't bend. Of course, I was subjected to merciless verbal abuse, but jumping that canopy, I was pretty much used to that. Besides, I was on a tight budget. I think the amount of tape on the thing actually caused more holes, which led to more duct tape, etc, etc.

That canopy met its end in a tree landing in North Louisiana. I crashed through the trees and ended up on the ground, happy to be alive, as usual, and cursing that parachute for landing me in the woods. As I looked up at the canopy, all I could see was fabric, a lot of duct tape, and a hole that you could drive a van through. I figured that all the duct tape in the world was not going to make that thing fly again, so I popped the Capewells and hiked out of the woods without it.

Kevin K.

I remember those Solis guys from Livermore back in the good old days. Wonder where they are now? Does anyone from that area remember Paul Laput's PC, orange and black? Pete Kaltof called it the Great Pumpkin. Since this forum is about scary stories, I recall seeing someone at Livermore have a slammer opening in an old sun damaged surplus round. It just flat out disintegrated in a trail of orange and white debris. He was streaming down fast but finally popped his reserve and was OK. I have never seen a canopy so completely destroyed on an opening.
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

For the Para Commander to be the most popular canopy for over 15 years sure says something about the power of a good marketing department. Of course I had one. I started jumping it with 6 jumps in March of '70. (My training is a seperate, long story) By the late 70s, I had a Starlite. Another PC class canopy but it did not open squirrelly. After throwing the pilot chute, I could feel the pin being pulled and the container opening, the bag lifting off, and when I hit the end of the lines, I went, maybe, another 25 feet and I was under an open canopy. Total time: about 3 seconds from 120 MPH to 11 MPH. Yeah, kind of brutal but it packed up small. It let another diver in the line to the wall in 10 way without changeing the angle. (Actually, not such a big deal since we were jumping a Lodestar in Palatka at the time) What I really liked about the Starlite, is that I could let my pilot chute go at at 1,300 ft. and know by 1,000 ft. if I needed to cut-a-way. I did this for a few years.
No one ever said anything about it. I don't know if they just didn't care if I went in or if it was just part of the times. I do know that I would speak to anyone I saw being so stupid nowadays.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

I don't credit the marketing for the PC's success, it was just the best canopy. As for the Starlite, I had one of the non-slidered, non-relief slotted ones for a while. It put me in the hospital. At pull time I often thought it would be better to go in. I wonder who I sold it to? My first jumps after recovering were on a ropes-and-rings Strato Star, and I never looked back.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

I had an old cheapo (28' 7-TU) that seemed to always get a lot of burns. I patched them with duct tape and it worked just fine. Eventually, however, the canopy came to have quite a bit of tape on it. When flaking it to pack, I had to have help creasing the duct tape at the folds, because it was so stiff it wouldn't bend. Of course, I was subjected to merciless verbal abuse, but jumping that canopy, I was pretty much used to that. Besides, I was on a tight budget. I think the amount of tape on the thing actually caused more holes, which led to more duct tape, etc, etc.

That canopy met its end in a tree landing in North Louisiana. I crashed through the trees and ended up on the ground, happy to be alive, as usual, and cursing that parachute for landing me in the woods. As I looked up at the canopy, all I could see was fabric, a lot of duct tape, and a hole that you could drive a van through. I figured that all the duct tape in the world was not going to make that thing fly again, so I popped the Capewells and hiked out of the woods without it.

Kevin K.

That's a good story for sure. I "lost" my all white C9 with a lineover mal. The line must have burned a quarter of the canopy up. All I can remember is seeing all the others on the load going up (as I was going down just a bit faster than they were) and some of them yelling "cutaway, cutaway...."

So I did and deployed my all white 26' Navy Conical from my Wonderhog with plastic reserve ripcord B|

Then I made the big decision to buy a Strato-Star sight unseen. They were just being released and Booth got one in (the first one in Florida as far as I know) and the guy who ordered it could not pay. I figured I would walk less, but cutaway more since squares of the time malfunctioned more often. 650 jumps later on that Star and no mals or even entertaining openings. The new era of squares was upon us and of course led eventually to an all square (virtually anyway) sport.

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

Another PC class canopy but it did not open squirrelly. After throwing the pilot chute, I could feel the pin being pulled and the container opening, the bag lifting off, and when I hit the end of the lines, I went, maybe, another 25 feet and I was under an open canopy.

I knew a lot of people who jumped Starlites. Wendy here on these Forums used to jump one a lot and loved hers. I only tried one once, on a 10 second delay and thought the opening was just a bit "assertive" for me, but it was a nice canopy.

There were a bunch of small packing lightweight canopies in the mid/late seventies; the Sierra, the Starlite, the Piglet, the Sparrow - I owned one of those - heck even Pioneer mad an RW PC out of 1.5 ripstop. They were all trying to get the nice openings, flight characteristics and landings of the PC without being so darned heavy & bulky. But the PC still flew better in all conditions than any of them and the only real solution was to go square along with the rest of the world.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Some time around midnite, in the early eighties, at a popular florida dz... me and a couple buddies got the cessna pilot from the airport bar and helped him stumble to the plane with his arms around our shoulders, we were pretty toasted also. He took us up to altitude and we all hung from the strut with the door open and the pilots little snauzer dog wearing a bandana barking at us from inside the plane and my first jump student for the next morning, (also in the plane) getting a wide eyed intro into the wonderful world of skydiving ...criminal behavior... yes the good ol days... Luckily we all survived.... that jump. Then there were the nite jumps on acid...or the 50 way skull and cross bone nite dive during a lightning storm when my canopy collapsed at about 200 feet, did a 360 spiral, opened, I flare and land.. or the time Gus Wing got up off the ground and ran as he was taking my picture from under the 1200 ft. tower that I had just hummed my first BASE jump from... with a Unit. And then there was the 50 foot opening on Silly's "Bandit" over the talus in Norway, off of the Troll wall, after tracking tooo long and then having a snivel...two days after Carl died...my buddy Stein driving the Volvo at nite during a wicked rain storm with Carls ashes in a box under my arm, Jeannie in the front seat, heading to Oslo...scary stories from the old days... It's different now...the magic is gone. Ask anyone who was there.

...scary stories from the old days... It's different now...the magic is gone. Ask anyone who was there.

The magic may have shifted locations or changed direction, but it's still there.
I often look at the younge guys around today and think "they don't know what it was like back in the day, when PC's were the hot item on the DZ and drinking all night then getting on the first load were the norm"
All us old timers have our memories, some more accurate then others, but hey the young guys and gals are making thier own memories now and in twenty or thirty years, they will recall thier own brand of magic.
Your's, and mine, may seem better then thiers, but that may only mean something to us;)
Watch my video Fat Women
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRWkEky8GoI

...scary stories from the old days... It's different now...the magic is gone. Ask anyone who was there.

The magic may have shifted locations or changed direction, but it's still there.
I often look at the younge guys around today and think "they don't know what it was like back in the day, when PC's were the hot item on the DZ and drinking all night then getting on the first load were the norm"
All us old timers have our memories, some more accurate then others, but hey the young guys and gals are making thier own memories now and in twenty or thirty years, they will recall thier own brand of magic.
Your's, and mine, may seem better then thiers, but that may only mean something to us;)

~~~THESE ARE the good old dayz! :D

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Your's, and mine, may seem better then thiers, but that may only mean something to us

Yeah ... what he said ... although there was this one time ...
Zing Lurks

That's the problem ... I was so "all in" so often back then that I only, sorta, kinda have these vague recollections of what might have been.
BUT, I know there was magic in the air and elsewhere some of those times ... and there still is.
Zing Lurks

I don't remember a lot of incidents related to drug usage. At least one low (but not too low) pull, probably some hard docks.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

did many people die from these drugged up jumps? ive heard there were a lot more drugs in the sport back then, did that stop relatively quickly with a notable incident or did it just sort of die out?

Drug and alcohol use probably varied a lot from club to club. I'm sure it was more common back in the 70's, but to tell you the truth, I never saw much of it during a jump day back then. If we knew of anyone who was loaded, I'm sure they would have been scratched from our load.

It was hard to tell sometimes if someone was under the influence or not. I remember drinking quite a bit with some friends,one afternoon, and then making a jump with them back in about 73. That was a one time thing, and nothing I'm very proud of, but I'm sure I'm not the only one whose ever made a jump buzzed up.

I remember making a few sunrise formation jumps back in Kalispell after drinking heavily into the wee hours of the morn at Moose's. I don't recall any close calls because of it though.

But hell, that sort of thing is still going on. At many Boogies I see more than a few party animals drink into the late hours and then get up early to jump. I'm too old to do much of that these days, but I also hope that I'm smart enough not to.

I know of a few outlaw jumpers today, who sometimes stop for a beer break on a hot day. It may only be one beer, but even that would have been frowned on back in my club in the 70's. So maybe drugged up jumps are still taking place and most people just don't know it. In another 30 years they'll be telling scary stories of way back in 2007:S....Steve1

I do recall a jump in the late 90's where we were put on a weather hold for the last jump of the day. We, 8 of us, decided there'd be no harm in starting our fun early and be ready to really go long after we landed. The weather hold caught us by surprise. It was a crw jump at 13 grand. At the end, I was in a side by side at about 50 feet with a buddy when we suddenly notice that the amber waves of grain were about to eat our asses! Break, flare, slide!!

It hasn't really died. It's just very low key nowadays.;)

...but I'm sure I'm not the only one whose ever made a jump buzzed up.

You're right about it varying from club to club, I fortunately hooked up with the RIGHT kind of peer group from the outset. :)

...I recall having to hold the pilots' beer for take off doing my First Static Line. :$

Safety First, he needed BOTH hands to get 'er off the ground!! B|

We 'eventually' had to tighten up the rules on 'drinking and jumping' quite a bit...

Our little DZ was located in the middle of top grade Illinois farm land and the local farmers were getting rather upset about all the empty beer bottles that were unexplainably falling from the heavens, jamming up the combines! :o

The initial mandate went out, and we being skydivers, must have misunderstood the intent, because our solution was to switch to cans...surely a million dollar combine can handle an aluminum can!!! :)

Apparently not, we had to then instate a club ban on ALL drinking and jumping, insisting that it be reserved for a more appropriate time...Between Jumps!:ph34r:

Edited to add:
The pic is from 1976, me checking Kaptian K's Accuri...

The camera man and I each stand 3 feet away, either side of the disc during the approach and landing, and don't move an inch!

Just 'some' of the little things we would do to practice demo jumping skills. ;)

[did many people die from these drugged up jumps? ive heard there were a lot more drugs in the sport back then, did that stop relatively quickly with a notable incident or did it just sort of die out? ]

We got to the field about noon or so and since it was a crappy day, we started drinking. Well lo and behold it cleared up at about 6 o'clock, so we started getting ready for a lift. Three of us were suited up and we were harassing our fourth to hurry up. Because he seemed to be looking for something we asked what he was looking for?? He started cursing us saying "where did you put my rig" well this put us in stitches and we were roaring just howling with laughter, and he just got more pissed off, returning our laughs with curses. Finally we couldn't take it any more we told him to look on his back!!! he had his rig on all this time. Our pilot said " if you f---ers are to drunk to gear up, your to drunk to jump" So we went to the bar to finish what we had started!
D-2626, SCR1999, SCS641, NSCR2350, GW6909

Blue Skies!!!!!!
  • Like 1

Quite early in my jumping career~

I was invited to attend the annual Christmas party at the club I jumped with...

Having never been to one, I was only partially prepared for the festivities.

...Case of Bud, Bottle of Jack and a side dish in hand,
I eagerly joined in with the mostly older 'Hard Core' members enjoying the holiday 'get together'.

The Illinois winter weather not withstanding, I was somewhat surprised to find out that a 'final' jump of the year was a common part of this yearly gathering.
...I hadn't brought my rig!

I HAD considered it, but figured that with all the requisite drinking that would be taking place, it might not be the best idea...that and the fact I was an 'F N G', with little skill and even less respect from most of the group, I didn't think it would even be a consideration I should debate.

Besides, the windy, freezing and overcast evening laid to rest my thoughts that ANYONE would be jumping, half way into the party...

I was keeping close watch on the conditions, as another couple of noobs & I were constantly walking out of the club house to the peas in that bitter cold, to discuss general 'safety issues' in regard to the differing opinions of paper vs. plastic (pipe) ...and the like. :P

Sure enough, long about 2 a.m...

The declaration is made, and four of the old hands start to gear up.
The CSO was quickly quieted about HIS concern, after the very real threat of severe physical harm being more likely to occur to HIM for interfering, than to the jumpers... was explained in detail.

To my surprise, one of the "Hard Core's" hands me his brand new rig and says,
"Here, all yours..I gotta either scratch or get divorced."

Looking over to his wife who was on her knees making purdy patterns in the snow with all of the now 'used' home made wine someone had brought, I smiled broadly and threw the rig on over my leather jacket, and grabbed his gloves & goggles.

Not until we rotated did I start to fully realize what a dumb idea this could turn out to be.

But as always back then, Balls override Brains so I try to breathe deep, sober up and concentrate.

I'm going last so I can 'observe' the others, the 'contest' is to see who can land closest to the hangar, separate passes, spotting themselves...

I recall it being real foggy, both inside AND outside, of the 182 as we climb to 3500'.

I can't see SHIT, watching the others go...:|

What are they using for land marks?
WHERE the Hell ARE we?!

If nothing else, I figure I'll make it to a road or a farm house before I freeze to death...I was jumping a new 'Sport 260' with all that wonderful forward speed and maneuverability...

LIGHT YEARS ahead of my Papillon, and so what if it was only my 10th (+or-) square jump, with all the snow...how hard could I hit?!:)

Scootin' to the door, the highly qualified and expert pilot, Jim 'Round Man' Delap grabs my arm and says hold on kid...you can win this!

He flys another 3-4 minutes, makes some minor flat turn corrections and tells me~
JUMP NOW, if you DON'T pull ...you'll still hit the hangar! :ph34r:

I rolled out, nothing below me but gray clouds...

Delayed 5 seconds and pulled the belly band mounted 'twinkie'
on the barely broken in Condor rig...took a couple tries till I finally realized it WAS deployed ...and being sub terminal, was just taking a while to open.:S

I was a little concerned that this would definitely be a 'noob pimp job' for the record books, and I might just be in another COUNTY ...when I broke through the overcast at about 500' to applause and cheering from the gathered crowd below!

I was indeed right over the hangar, and having been to the peas several times that evening, I knew exactly which way the winds were blowing...tip toe stand up 25 feet from the open door brought ever louder cheers!

No one else had even made the 'property' !
...and I was the first one to greet the landing pilot with an adult beverage and my undying gratitude.:$

My 'stock' went up quite few points with the club that night, and I was rather pleased with myself for not only pulling it off, but that they had the 'confidence' in me, to even let me try! :S;):ph34r:

I was starting to get accepted to the 'inner circle' of that 'outlaw' merry band, and at least as far as two of the guys, the rigs owner and the pilot...I would follow either one into Hell...

...and did so several times in the following years! :DB|

You make the kinds of stupid shit we did sound so much more interesting than I remember it as being :ph34r:

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)