1 1
steve1

Scary stories from the old days?

Handing the roach to the pilot as you exit?! Tripping on the sunset load?! Carry on liquid refreshment that sprays the ceiling when opened (you know, that pressure thingy)?! Gotta all be rumors! Never, ever saw or did any of these things.......

And would not want to hang around with people that did.

Yea, sure.

Jerry

What some people did "back in the day" was just terrible.

Now Sparky -- remember that the newbies today invented fun; we're the age of their parents, and don't know anything about having fun :ph34r:

And if they're actually our kids, they don't WANT to hear about it either :o

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

And would not want to hang around with people that did.

Yea, sure.

What some people did "back in the day" was just terrible.:P:)

Yeah...like the phrase...

"Hold my beer and watch THIS" was only recently invented!:):P;):ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Do you find it strange that now days they only hold safety meetings once a year in March.

DZs still have parking lots, don't they ?? ;)

Kevin

I was just wondering if anyone had a scary jump story from way back when? Steve1

(cross-posted from the AAD thread.)
I was a young USAF airman in 1974 jumping with an Army club in Thailand. We had an Army 2-star jumping with us who wanted to do RW. Since he was pretty skinny and I was too, I was the one picked to fly with him. The general didn't have many jumps, and there always seemed to be a crowd of colonels following him around checking his gear. So, when one of them was "checking" the general's Sentinel on the way to altitude in the C-130 that day, I didn't pay much attention. We exited, and I pinned the general, and we flew the 2-way. At around 3500 ft., I checked my altimeter, which was in a clear plastic pocket on my upper arm. As I looked back, the general's belly-mount reserve was on its way out of the container. He didn't see it, as it was coming out to the side and he was looking at me. That thing moved at what looked like the speed of light, and the next thing I saw was a blue blur where the general had been. I was still laying there in freefall, with one glove hanging by a finger, the other glove gone, and the general nowhere in sight. :o Yes, that colonel had succeeded in resetting the Sentinal. I'm just lucky I wasn't above him when it fired.

There were many stories of Sentinals firing at inappropriate altitudes back then. Many big RW loads would not allow them, just because of the chance of firing early.

Kevin

DZs still have parking lots, don't they ??

Yea and they are full of BMW's, Porsche's, Corvettes and other up-scale means of transportation. Don't remember the last time I saw a VW bus or Ford Econoliner Van.[:/]
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

[Yea and they are full of BMW's, Porsche's, Corvettes and other up-scale means of transportation. Don't remember the last time I saw a VW bus or Ford Econoliner Van.[:/]

But amongst all that, the spirit's still there. Jumpers will always be jumpers. I've loved being part of this family for many years. Things change, but a lot remains the same. ;)

Kevin
======================
Seasons don't fear the Reaper,
nor do the Wind, the Sun, or the Rain...

[Yea and they are full of BMW's, Porsche's, Corvettes and other up-scale means of transportation. Don't remember the last time I saw a VW bus or Ford Econoliner Van.[:/]

But amongst all that, the spirit's still there. Jumpers will always be jumpers. I've loved being part of this family for many years. Things change, but a lot remains the same. ;)

Oh yeah.....what do you drive ? :o)

bozo
Kevin

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Not farfetched at all. And if you went to the Mardi Gras meet and it rained, and it often did, out came the "party favors". And, as I saw someone else post on this website, if you squeezed your eyes shut and opened them you saw "purple microdots". It wasn't so bad if the weather STAYED bad, but if not, man, the things that went on. But I can understand your skepticism, cus I was there and still barely believe some of the shit we did. BS, BD

yeah I guess so. I don't get into the drug scene at all. Never did.

Not meaning to stir up shit, the story just seems a little far fetched to me.

I did a post peak jump once at a deep south drop zone. Big clouds all the way to altitude (I was sitting next to the door). Most beautiful rainbows I've ever seen.
We are all engines of karma

I was just wondering if anyone had a scary jump story from way back when? Steve1

Well, I've just spent the better part of a day reading this thread. Really good. Thought I'd add my .02

I was jumping at a Cessna drop zone in the middle of sheep country. Was doing 4 way with some good guys. We only got 10K, so we tended to forget the words and hum it.

This one jump I borrowed gear. This gear had a pug, while I was used to a throw out. On top of it, I had mangled my right pinky and ring finger two days before this jump, so they really weren't working well. And, it was cold.

We break, I track, and start to dump around 2K. No worries. I get the pug, pull it, and it pops right out of my hand and is flapping in the breeze. I grab, almost get it, then it pops out again. Rinse, repeat.

One of the voices in my head says, "better check the altitude", so I look down. The ground was right there, and sheep were moving out of the way. I didn't even look for silver, just gunned it. Thank goodness it worked out. Quickly reached for the toggles and landed. Everybody thought I had died. DZO kicked me off for the rest of the weekend.
We are all engines of karma

...sheep were moving out of the way...

Yeah, when the sheep start running for cover, it's definitely time for some serious Emergency Procedures. ;)

Kevin

We got it back, patched up the new holes with more duct tape, and packed it up for my next jump.

Students nowadays have it far too easy, if you ask me.

Reminds me of my old Paracommander. I think the thing was actually MADE out of duct tape, but it kept right on truckin' until I got something newer & shinier.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

The stories about bad weather and "party favors" remonded me of a DZ not too far from Cape Canaveral where you could buy your jump ticket and a beer at the same window.
So we're doin' 4 way and trying to dodge the crew dogs (ya know which DZ I'm talking about now). We had been getting 12.5K all weekend and then some high clouds moved in. So our 4 way got out at around 7.5k. The problem was our mental clocks were still set for a minute of skydiving time. We're crankin points, all focused and shit. I look across at PAt and he just dumps. One look at his eyes tells me we're screwed. I'm under 800 right over manifest/ bar. I turn (don't know why) and dump. Look down to see this musclehead Navy search and rescue swimmer falling away from me. Somehow he gets it out in time (he was jumping a Racer SST with a Unit main). We land and we're all quiet as a church mouse. Finally muscle head pipes up. "Maybe if we don't say anything, maybe nobody noticed."
Arghhhh.

Heh...oh he lived too. We were all open by 500'...that's plenty right?
Man, I just don't know how so many of us survived after all the shit we pulled.
Did I tell you about the time a relatively famous rigger did night jumps on acid with us? He was zoning out on the stars thinking they were streetlights and wondering why they weren't getting any closer. Realized he was on his back at around 7-800 feet, rolled and dumped.
Damn we were stooooopid.