1 1
steve1

Scary stories from the old days?

Didn't know Bruce other than the times he brought his plane to Aero Country in the Dallas area. That's the only time I ever a Twin Beech started by hand proping. That didn't give us much confidence in the condition of the aircraft but what the Hell, it beat a C-182 and we had parachutes on if something bad happened.:S
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

Great story Krkeenan!

Back in the early 70's we used to practice cut aways quite a bit from a suspended harness. I don't recall a single person covering their cape wells with one arm. So, I guess we were all pretty lucky to have cheated death come cut-away time.

I had two cut aways back then. I didn't kick my legs out much on either. On my last one I distinctly remember falling almost face to earth, after chopping. I remember tugging more than once on that damn, tight, stylemaster reserve handle, and then watching as the 24 ft. reserve strung out to my side. I ended up with two sprained ankles in a rock pile after crash landing under a wildly oscillating reserve. If only I had worn my Frenchies that day instead of those damn tennis shoes.

At any rate this has me wondering about training procedures back then. I quit in about 75. Could that method of covering your cape wells have been developed after about 75. Or maybe our club was just behind the times.

Some of our instructors, back then, only had a couple hundred jumps with little formal training themselves. So, it's no wonder many of us didn't get the message. Most of us survived those years. I didn't know anyone who died from a snagged reserve anyhow....Steve1

I had two cut aways back then. I didn't kick my legs out much on either.

I, on the other hand, had my first cutaway a few jumps into my first piggyback rig. I did kick my legs forward, and had the reserve pilot chute bount off my head I'm sure.

Since I was busy holding onto the ripcords and instamatic camera that I'd practiced throwing away everytime I'd been in the hanging harness, it wasn't exactly a marvel of do-what-you-train :$.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

"That's the only time I ever a Twin Beech started by hand proping.........."

There was a period of time when his 182 also had to be hand propped....we were packed in it one afternoon, when one of our good friends went to prop it off, the engine coughed or something...anyhow, the prop did about half of a sped up rotation and hit him in the leg very close to ..ummmm his "stuff":o
Put a pretty deep gouge in his leg, and they said "we're gonna have to take Tom to the hospital"...to which we replied....."this mean we dont get to go up?" Like I said, he was a good friend..he understood:D

At any rate this has me wondering about training procedures back then. I quit in about 75. Could that method of covering your cape wells have been developed after about 75. Or maybe our club was just behind the times.

Some of our instructors, back then, only had a couple hundred jumps with little formal training themselves. So, it's no wonder many of us didn't get the message. Most of us survived those years. I didn't know anyone who died from a snagged reserve anyhow....Steve1

We taught covering the capewells at Z-Hills in 1973. I saw a guy (Giggles, can't remember his real name) go in there that same year with a capewell snag. Several errors in a row really.

* He had a lineover on his Paracommander at an estimated 3500ft.

* Cutaway and fell face to earth and pulled his front mounted belly wart.

* Then punched the reserve container so hard he barrel rolled into the deploying pilot chute which hung up on the left open capewell.

* Canopy continued to deploy into a horseshoe.

* He struggled with the pilot chute and finally got it free. If he had just let go of it, he would be with us today.

* He then threw the pilot chute directly forward through the suspension line groups.

* the pilot chute ran up the groups and cought around one of them below the skirt making the horseshoe mal permanent.

* He just kept spreading the line groups the rest of the way in.

I have all these facts because someone happened to be filming him with a super-8 camera and telephoto lens at the time.

After seeing that (my first burn in) and a few weeks later seeing two bag locked para-plane cutaways and reserve deployments, I decided to take my EPs serious and proceeded to do two intentional cutaways with 3 canopy rigs. Too bad that is so difficult these days because I can tell you that when I had my real mal, the cutaway and deployment of the reserve were not brand new to me....

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

Did my first jump in 1980, and covering the cape wells wasn't taught....at least not by the LA Tech college boys.

Had a line over on a PC on my 29th jump. After waiting a few seconds to see if I could hear any instruction from the ground.....(no, we didn't have radios. I was ummmmm ..waiting to see if someone was, you know, gonna yell up some kind'a encouraging words:S) Instead of putting my legs out in front of me, I pulled them up behind me and popped the cape wells. As I fell face to earth it occured to me that I was in a boogered up position for dumping that belly wart reserve. Turned on my side , pulled the handle, and saw a white explosion as the 24ft flat came out. While still on my side looking down, I can still distinctly remember seeing the kick plate falling away like a silver frisbee. Like yours steve1, the thing was oscillating
like a "puke" ride at the state fair. You hit a rock pile..I hit like a pile of rocks. I'm laying there on the ground reveling in the fact that I crash landed very near the packing area and wouldn't have far to crawl to my gear.....when a little hippie guy walked over, looked down and said "pretty serious landing dewd" and then just turned away....as he walked off I said "yeah, but how bout that spot?!"

Since reserve snags are a popular item in this thread at the moment, I'll add a minor story:

A girl at the DZ, with maybe a hundred jumps or so, was jumping her first rig, a well used one with a round reserve.

It wasn't quite the old days, more like 1991, so there still were plenty of used rigs with round reserves around.

The actual reserve system, however, was from the old days -- a diaper-less round with the lines stowed in the pack tray.

One day she mal'd, chopped, and went to the reserve. BAM!, a hard opening and a big holes in the canopy that weren't vents. One line broke and two panels were torn between reinforcing bands. She wasn't a big person and took the hard landing without real injury.

What had happened? In the pack tray was one grommet with a flange bent up 90 degrees. Those old rigs weren't heavily reinforced around the 2-pin reserve closing loop, so the flexing tray allowed the edge of a grommet to stick up a bit, in the path of all those lines stowed in the pack tray on a no-diaper reserve. One line had snagged the grommet, resulting in the out of sequence deployment and luckily 'only' a broken line and a couple panels.

Another time the same girl blew open the center top skin of her main from nose to tail. I was looking down at her after her opening and wondered for a moment what the wavy fabric was, but just went back to flying my own canopy. The canopy stayed inflated. (This was an F-111 7-cell, with maybe 150 lbs total on a 220 or so canopy.) After landing, she complained about the hard landing and crummy flare, and went to pack. She's yanking on the packing tabs one by one while flat packing, 1...2...3...and then #4 pulls way out from the rest of the canopy, attached to torn fabric. Only then did she realize she had had a mal.

So in her few years in the sport before retiring to start a family, Sylvie had managed to blow up both a main and a reserve canopy.

(While I do like the real old days stuff from the 60's and 70's in this thread, I hope there's some tolerance for newer stuff here, without getting finicky with dates! There is a "Scary Stories from Today" thread, but I haven't seen anything in between.)

Did my first jump in 1980, and covering the cape wells wasn't taught....at least not by the LA Tech college boys.

On the other hand I was taught it in 1975 in Houston, and when I became an instructor a few years later I taught it until we got piggybacks.

Obviously you guys should have come to Houston [;P]

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

We were taught to cover the capewells at Coldwater DZ in Ontario in Aug '73. I remember the instructor tell us at the time that our DZ was a bit ahead of the other local DZs suchaas PAT at Arthur cause they didn't teach cutaways at all. We were using all military surplus gear, C9 canopy, Navy reserve, and B4 harness container systems.
Ah the good old days:S
Watch my video Fat Women
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRWkEky8GoI

On the other hand I was taught it in 1975 in Houston, .

Yeah, I was trained at Doc Anagnostos' place in Dickinson in '71, a few years before the first Spaceland. Back in the days of the Bottrell Brothers and Dave Boatman. $40 first jump class - pretty good deal. :P

Kevin K.
======================
Seasons don't fear the Reaper,
nor do the Wind, the Sun, or the Rain...

$40 first jump class - pretty good deal.

Pretty good deal today. In 1971 $40.00 was a lot of money. :)

1976 for me....75.00 F J C~~ 25.00 per static line jump.:S

A WHOLE LOTTA money for an 18 year old kid in school!:)

Best money I ever spent!:$

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

73 for me $45.00 first jump / $8 /SL

(I had a three way $20.00 bet with mt father and uncle who were on the course with me as to who would pass training and jump first. So my first jump actually cost me $5.00 and them $65.00)
Watch my video Fat Women
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRWkEky8GoI

Didn't teach cutaways but for that price, I wouldn't teach them either.:ph34r:

Yeah, my FJC used the "reserve with no pilotchute - throw it in the direction of the spin" method. Sure glad I never got to try out that one !!:S

Kevin K.
======================
Seasons don't fear the Reaper,
nor do the Wind, the Sun, or the Rain...

1966 FJC - SL (was there anything else?) Reserve "down & in the direction of spin" - I think I paid $35. Training ran for 4-hours-per-night for 5 nights plus a couple of hours Sat. before the 1st jump!

$40 for FJC in 1975 in Houston. I don't remember how much static line jumps were, but not much. Student freefalls were $12 with an AOD, $10 without. But no extra fee for the AOD on your first freefall :ph34r:.

Wendy W.

I paid $50. for the first jump class in 1971.

Our student gear was a B-12 container and a military belly reserve. The static line was tied onto the cones with break cord. I remember helping pack some of these rigs when I only had about 30 jumps. We all wanted to help, and I'm not sure if there was such a thing as an instructor rating back then. Maybe there was, but a lot of rules were bent. We'd take the string from gutted out 550 cord and use this for break cord.

We were taught not to cut away...just pull your reserve with a total and throw it out in the direction of spin with a partial.

We were taught cut-aways a little later, when most of us went to para-commanders. Lot's of people still jumped rags (mostly 7-TU 28 foot rounds). Para-commanders were the canopy of choice though. Para-planes were just coming out. I remember paying about $300. for a new Red Devil P.C. I had to drop out of school to save up enough cash for a new rig. Bought a new Super Pro container and harness. This was really hot gear for that time period.

I remember being a PLF instructor when I only had about 50 jumps. Can you imagine an instructor with only 50 jumps now days? The most senior member of our club had about 500 jumps, with most people having a whole lot less. Those were the days! "Really Scary!" when you get to thinking about it....Steve1

We all wanted to help, and I'm not sure if there was such a thing as an instructor rating back then.

Tommy Owens told me a story about when he was first learning to jump at Piru and Arvin. He said he had around 7 or 8 jumps. He would go to 7,500 jump out and it was sky, earth, sky, earth, pull. Out of frustration he went to his first jump instructor, Bill Stage. He told Bill, I jump, its sky, earth, sky, earth, pull. Tell me Bill what am I doing wrong. Bill looked at him and with a straight face said, I don't know but as soon as I figure it out I will let you know.

Bill Stage had 11 or 12 jumps at the time.

Don't need no stinking instructor.:P
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I remember being a PLF instructor when I only had about 50 jumps. Can you imagine an instructor with only 50 jumps now days?

You want to talk about the blind leading the blind.. most of the SERE instructors... the young ones that had not been to Jump School had zero jumps but were teaching their elements( classes) of pilots and other aircrew ( who also had no jumps) how to do PLF's. You could not get a slot to jump school at that time unless you were assigned to the Sea Survival School or some base level slots. BUT.. during instructor training you did hundreds of PLF's and we had the swing landing trainers..... hours and hours and hours in the pea gravel. To this day I can do a REALLLLY good PLF... IF I have to. I guess doing a few thousand of them gives you some muscle memory.

Depending on how motivated your students were.... the hop off the 12 ft high swing lander could be an interesting crash and burn for the student if you let the rope go while he was up fairly high;)

Swing land trainers are a real asset to teaching and learning PLFs. I don't think anyone can do PLF's better than someone who is former airborne.

I don't know how many broken bones some of our ist jump training classes had, but there were a bunch. In every class there was usually a broken bone or two. If only more time was spent doing PLF's or possibly using a swing land trainer, this could have prevented.

Most first jump classes spent about 20 minutes on PLF's and that was supposed to be enough. No wonder their were so many injuries. In the army you spend two weeks doing these before that first jump from an aircraft while in "fright".

I felt really good on that one and only training class, when I was an instructor. I may have had only 50 sport jumps, but I could teach a really good PLF and there wasn't a single injury in that class. I just passed on what I learned in the Army Jump School.

To survive landings on windy days (back then), there were a few things you needed. Number one was being physically fit and young. A good motorcycle helmet saved my noggin a lot of times. A pair of French Jump boots were an asset. A good spot helped a lot. If all else failed a good PLF would usually save your bacon....Steve1

To survive landings on windy days (back then), there were a few things you needed. Number one was being physically fit and young. A good motorcycle helmet saved my noggin a lot of times. A pair of French Jump boots were an asset. A good spot helped a lot. If all else failed a good PLF would usually save your bacon..

Ah yes.. Feet....... Butt.......Head..... Motorcycle helmet GOOOOOOOOD.

I always taught to turn a bit OFF the wind line under rounds.. it helped to get you into a better position if you were about 30 degrees off the wind line.. made for a better PLF when you were backing up..Directly into the wind made it a lot harder to get all the points of contact on the calf and thigh and hip and across the back muscles for a good roll. I do not know HOW many people I have watched that had their legs out in front of them( and they still do it) so that they were guaranteed to hit feet-butt-head.... and that would really ring their chimes for them.