jtval

DB Cooper

Jtval,
I remember, when this happened. Yes, I'm an old fart. I really think he landed in the river and drowned. If you've ever been along this river you know what I mean when I say it's treacherous. They found some of the money in the river also. I recall watching a special, years back, where someone doubted anyone could survive jumping out of a jet. That's common practice now days, though. I even made my first jump out of a jet in the Army. Steve1

Jtval,
I remember, when this happened. Yes, I'm an old fart. I really think he landed in the river and drowned. If you've ever been along this river you know what I mean when I say it's treacherous. They found some of the money in the river also. I recall watching a special, years back, where someone doubted anyone could survive jumping out of a jet. That's common practice now days, though. I even made my first jump out of a jet in the Army. Steve1[
After watching this special, It sounds to me like it was this guy from Utah. We used to train with the 19th SF group in Utah and I may even have ridden in this guys helicopter during the 70's. Steve1

After watching this special, It sounds to me like it was this guy from Utah. We used to train with the 19th SF group in Utah and I may even have ridden in this guys helicopter during the 70's. Steve1

actually I think this guy is keanu reeves...and they made a movie about him named point break>LOL
god, I am glad keanu isnt a skydiver for real!
"whoa"
My photos

My Videos

shortly after D.B.Cooper made his getaway, several guys accused me (at an Ohio DZ) of being Cooper. They even held a sketch of Cooper beside my head and thought that confirmed their suspiciaons. Not long after a reporter from Toronto wrote a lengthy article about "How I Would Hijack An Airline For $200,000 Dollars ASnd Get Away With IT" . We went tto the American Airlines counter at Pearson Intnl Airport, and I had a parachute on my back and held an empty ticket holder while the guy took photos. We then went to the Insurance Purchase machine, and took some more photos. He couldnt get any publisher to print his story...and it died. It was fun anyhow to see the faces of the other passengers looking at me carrying a chute....like I knew something they didnt. Bill Cole D-41 Canada

...and I may even have ridden in this guys helicopter during the 70's....

Did he look like this?
http://www.naplesnews.com/00/08/florida/d483884a.htm

I was convinced he drowned in the river. But this TV special was about a guy in Utah who did a similiar hi-jacking of an airliner in Utah. He was captured days later and sent to prison. He was in S.F. in Vietnam and worked as a helicopter pilot for a Utah Reserve Unit. He later escaped from prison and was killed when they tried to capture him. He was a good Mormon and even taught Sunday School. They figure he was probably D.B. Cooper. Very convincing story, but I guess we'll never know for sure......Steve1

fwiw .. (reviving this thread because of something else recently about DB Cooper and came searching here) - appears it wasn't the Utah guy as his fingerprints didn't match any of those lifted off the hijacked plane, plus none of the money was ever discovered in circulation (only the bits in the river).

But this...!!!: One of the more peculiar Cooper stories involved Elsie Rodgers, a grandmother from Cozad, Nebraska. She enjoyed telling her grandchildren about the day in the 1970s when she found a human head near the Columbia River in Washington. The kids thought she was crazy—until she died in 2000 and they found a skull in a hatbox in her attic. The FBI conducted DNA tests but reported it was unable to prove that the skull was Cooper's.

Quite a bit of interesting stuff about DB Cooper and the various theories on http://www.crimelibrary.com/criminal_mind/scams/DB_Cooper/ (um, remember to go to "next" page to continue ;))

[so what else is there to do sitting on wind hold on a weekend?:S]
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

The guy in Utah sounded possible, but if the finger-prints didn't match, then he's out. My vote would be that he drowned in the river. What a wicked, wide, stretch of water! I'd hate to try swimming out of it, at night, with a big bag of money tied onto me.

I wonder how fresh the head was that the lady found. I didn't read all the info. under D.B. Cooper that you supplied. My brother has found skulls & bones of Indians buried hundreds of years ago (out in the desert) of Eastern Oregon. Could this be a skull from way back then?....Steve1

The first episode of "Prison Break"? ;)

:D:D:D:D ... and i discovered my husband had never heard of DB Cooper!!! So we hit Google and... :P

Haha, rad!

There's some interesting reading on him here and there.

As an aside, it's looking like a helluva series.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

He was sort of smart to come up with the idea ,then it ended He made them get him some parachutes A PC a rag and an unsteerable emergency pilot rig showed up with the money he re packed the emergency rig in side the plane . He told the pilots to fly at whatever speed and lower the air stair. they increased the air speed gradually so much they were amazed it didnt crumble the air stair They never knew whe he got out and wouldnt be any where near his spot with the increased speed . No one knows how he attached the money if at all . the reported ground winds were over 40 at night with an unsteerabl badly oscillating canopy somewhere over the national forrest If the opening shock didnt kill him at that air speed the tree landing sure would have , or getting dragged would.if he hand held the money suitcase it would be long gone to .Do you remember how long they questioned the kid that found the money as a conspiriter even though it happened 20 years before he was born. I live about 30 miles from where they think Hoffas body was supposed to be buried. Another fiasco they should stick to finding Donut shops. Thats the way I remember it and I am and I am sticking to it

I remember the next morning thinking there were 15,999 members of USPA thinking "Why didn't I think of that?" and one member counting "20, 40, 60, 80 100....."

BSBD
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."

"Your statement answered your question."

Hi Harry,

About a week after the heist, I got a call from Personnel (I worked for a US agency) asking me to come over. Once there I was directed to a room where this guy was sitting. He got up, closed the door and introduced himself as a FBI agent.

He then proceeded to grill me on where I was, what I knew, did I have any idea on who it might be, etc, etc.

Once he decided that it wasn't me we had a great conversation; he was actually quite friendly. The one thing I remember him saying was that they (the FBI) did not have a clue as to who DB was.

That was one interesting hour of my life,

Jerry

The dollars were bundled. It was 1000,2000,3000,4000 and so on.

And you can invoke your 5th amendment rights and respectfully decline to disclose how you know that!
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."

"Your statement answered your question."

we had a guy that jumped at snyders dz in nj at the time.he was the spitting image of db.even smoked raleigh filter cigarettes.also some time later , a dz opened near atlantic city and put an advertisement in the local paper ,something like learn to jump.. we teach landings in water, trees ,in jail.the local fbi office paid him a visit (rumor has it).no sense of humor these feds.

He told the pilots to fly at whatever speed and lower the air stair. they increased the air speed gradually so much they were amazed it didnt crumble the air stair

As I remember it, the stairs were damaged. In fact I believe they modifed the aircraft so that the stairs could not be deployed in flight after that (at least without some ground prep).... not because of the hijacking, but because of the resulting damage to the stairs.

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519