Remster

Empuria bought by Dubai

if a DZ is going to close for lack of funds coming in why wouldn't we want it bought out by a higher power?

Honest question, was this DZ on the verge of closing down?

In that case, sure, anyone who wants to keep the ball rolling is a good thing. The problem in this case is that once the prince decides that skydiving is 'old news', what happens to the DZ? Along the same lines, what if some sort of power-shift or political events puts his fortune at risk?

The problem with those deep pockets is that they are indeed very deep. What that means is that his life and fortune don't rely on the DZ succeeding, like it would for an 'average' DZO. Those guys have the need and the drive to make the DZ survive against all odds, where this guy could buy and sell the place in his sleep, and it wouldn't bother his bottom line to shut the place down and liquidate all the assests at a loss. An average DZO would try to avoid this as he would be down a huge pile of money, maybe all their equity in the DZ, but the prince doesn't have that sort of concern.

So if the place was going to close, it's on borrowed time anyway, and it's great that anyone would keep it running. In any other case, the ownership has been transfered to a relative 'new guy' in the sport, who has no financial pressures to keep the place open, and that puts the DZ on shakey ground.

Excellent point and I didn't look at it like that.

Hopefully this all turns out for the good, the prince doesn't have ADD, and Empuriabrava stays as awesome as I hear it is. :)
Sincerely, Daniel (not as fat as he thinks he is) Adams
http://www.skyjump.com
http://www.vimeo.com/dandaninc
http://www.youtube.com/dandaninc

Those better be some BIG ASS canals. (yea...that sounds wrong....)

Mega Yacht Name: Dubai
Mega Yacht AKA: Panhandle; Golden Star; Platinum
Mega Yacht Completed: 2006
Dubai's Shipyard: Platinum Yachts FZCO. Dubai hull and superstructure built by Blohm & Voss with Platinum Yachts.
Port: Dubai

Mega Yacht Type: Motor Yacht
Designer: Andrew Winch
Interior Designer: Andrew Winch Designs Ltd.
Dubai Hull Material: Steel
Superstructure: Steel/Aluminium
Mega Yacht Length Overall: 531.50 feet (162 meters)
Beam: 72.18 feet (22 meters)
Draught Max: 16.40 feet (5 meters)
Gross Tonnage: 13470
Displacement: 9150

Dubai's Max Guests: 72
Mega Yacht Crew: Cabins available for 88 crew, including Captain, Chief Engineer & Doctor. A total of 115 persons including crew and guest staff.

Mega Yacht Engine Manufacturer: MTU
Dubai Engine Type: Diesel
Number of Engines: 4
Engine HP: 8,450 Total HP: 33,800
Model: 20V 1163 TB93
KW: 6,301 Total KW: 25,205
Propulsion: Dual-shaft propulsion system each consisting of 2 MTU 20V1163TB93 (6323 kW each) via reduction gears MAAG (twin input single output configuration) connected to a controllable pitch propeller.

Dubai's Max Speed: 26
Yacht Cruise Speed: 25
Yacht Range: 8,500 at 25

Mega Yacht Dubai Fuel Capacity: 277,410 Gallons (1,050,000 Liters)
Mega Yacht Dubai Water Capacity: 105,680 Gallons (400,000 Liters)
Fresh Watermakers: Reverse Osmosis plant with 2x 50m3/24hrs capacity.

So, how will this effect atheists, beer drinkers, drug users, and females who skydive in Spain?

Do kafir jumpers who visit Dubai have any problems?

try to keep your racist BS to yourself:S
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Squeak, I think you called this one wrong. The original Arabic word, kaffir, had nothing to do with race. I think DelTron was alluding to it's original intent, which is why he mentioned atheists, drinking and drugs. Which are all supposed to be against Muslim practice. It meant non-believer. Anyone that was not a Muslim. It was later commandeered by African whites as a derogatory term for blacks. However, DelTron could have been using it as a racial slur, I just didn't read it that way.

So, how will this effect atheists, beer drinkers, drug users, and females who skydive in Spain?

Do kafir jumpers who visit Dubai have any problems?

try to keep your racist BS to yourself:S

Well I heard that for the world championships, female judges were banned, all women have to jump in burkas, the men had to be circumcised and all swoopers had to convert to islam. So he does have a point:P
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Empuria is my favourite DZ and as close to a home DZ as I have as I do more jumps there than anywhere. I have always had a lot of time for one of the owners, Pete, and I am confident that the business will continue as usual.

I haven't heard of all staff being fired and having to apply for their jobs back - that would just be fucking stupid. Who better to run the business than the people who run the business. There is a reason it is the biggest DZ in Europe - because it is well run, safe, fun and you can get lots of jumps in. I have heard mainly good things about Dubai from many friends who have jumped there and I see this as a positive move...

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

It's a big boat. Fishing must be a pain in the ass. How are you supposed to sneak up on the fish?

A buddy of mine is an officer on a HUGE US flagged container ship. The skipper loves to fish. They poured on a little speed to arrive a few hours early off the Kona coast and believe it or not managed to hook and land a yellowfin tuna from the ship! The trolling exercise was logged as a "man overboard drill".

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

It's a big boat. Fishing must be a pain in the ass. How are you supposed to sneak up on the fish?

A buddy of mine is an officer on a HUGE US flagged container ship. The skipper loves to fish. They poured on a little speed to arrive a few hours early off the Kona coast and believe it or not managed to hook and land a yellowfin tuna from the ship! The trolling exercise was logged as a "man overboard drill".

hahahahahaha PRICELESS!!!!:ph34r:
Sincerely, Daniel (not as fat as he thinks he is) Adams
http://www.skyjump.com
http://www.vimeo.com/dandaninc
http://www.youtube.com/dandaninc

What ya catch at sea... stays at sea....

Money vs Love....

If the current owners loved their place, they probably would not have sold it. Just because they love it and love the people. If they were really going under, they would have contracted that their current family maintain their jobs.

If they started this for primary reason being money, and got offered top dollar, why not. Then they have accomplished.

Anyways, if some prince has got the cash, we might just see the $1 boogie, hosted over a month or something like that. Sure he wouldn't mind. Sorry, no chicks with "open-faces".
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

It's incredible the amount of BS that people wrote it here.. I've been jumping at the DUbai DZ for a while now, and one thing I can tell is that the people that are running the DZ are very professional. I honestly never seem the prince there, but the guy is crazy about the sport.. you can check some of his videos on Youtube. I don't know if for you guys that are jumping on Empuriabrava, things will change, but SD Dubai is a serious company, professional, and people are passionate for the sport.

They have instructors from everywhere, US, UK, Romania, Spain, Germany, Japan, Brazil, etc etc etc... and all of them are extremelly friendly and well trained.

The DZ has a very cool atmosphere... it's a very nice place to go to hang out with your buddies.. I made several friends there!

Come to Dubai, and have a fun weekend jumping, you will probably change the idea about the "greedy prince"!!

nadominhoca

Come to Dubai, and have a fun weekend jumping, you will probably change the idea about the "greedy prince"!!

I'd like to jump at a DZ _like_ Dubai, but I'm not willing to set foot in Dubai to do it.

Perhaps this will end up being the next best thing.
cavete terrae.

View was objective, and from multiple angles, with no info other than what was in the post, and never mentioned a "greedy" prince.

Would love to go and do some jumps there though.;)

You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.