Remster

Empuria bought by Dubai

Not the power of a stinkin' rich spoiled prince buying his friends all over the world at least.
The DZ's I frequent are local businesses.

Your turn.;)

I think it's pretty cool that he is spending as much as he is on our sport. I would love to jump at Skydive Dubai. The view alone must be pretty awesome. Plus the digs are pretty plush.

However I think he needs to open new DZ's up in crazy locations instead of buying out other dropzones Like say... Antarctica.

Or if a DZ is going to close for lack of funds coming in why wouldn't we want it bought out by a higher power?

(I jump at a small privately owned DZ and love it but any extra money being pumped into our sport is a good thing)
Sincerely, Daniel (not as fat as he thinks he is) Adams
http://www.skyjump.com
http://www.vimeo.com/dandaninc
http://www.youtube.com/dandaninc

Of course.
Most people really like free money.
:|

Too bad it's not really free. [:/]
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Who wouldn't want their own personal tunnel?
B|

2 that's TWO personal tunnels,.....
Money doesn't bring happiness ...MY ARSE it doesn't:D:D:D:D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

if a DZ is going to close for lack of funds coming in why wouldn't we want it bought out by a higher power?

Honest question, was this DZ on the verge of closing down?

In that case, sure, anyone who wants to keep the ball rolling is a good thing. The problem in this case is that once the prince decides that skydiving is 'old news', what happens to the DZ? Along the same lines, what if some sort of power-shift or political events puts his fortune at risk?

The problem with those deep pockets is that they are indeed very deep. What that means is that his life and fortune don't rely on the DZ succeeding, like it would for an 'average' DZO. Those guys have the need and the drive to make the DZ survive against all odds, where this guy could buy and sell the place in his sleep, and it wouldn't bother his bottom line to shut the place down and liquidate all the assests at a loss. An average DZO would try to avoid this as he would be down a huge pile of money, maybe all their equity in the DZ, but the prince doesn't have that sort of concern.

So if the place was going to close, it's on borrowed time anyway, and it's great that anyone would keep it running. In any other case, the ownership has been transfered to a relative 'new guy' in the sport, who has no financial pressures to keep the place open, and that puts the DZ on shakey ground.

If a person with loads of money wants to own a DZ, it is better that they buy an existing DZ than open a new DZ close by that others will have to compete against.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am