Ducky

How many Hop n Pops?

Waiting for a higher turbine load can sometimes take quite a while, while there is virtualy no waiting time for a low hop out of the airplane....and 10 seconds of freefall is still anough to have a lot of fun and try a few crazy exits...

Yes! I hate the "just fall out" exit or the standard dive out. I like twisting out, tumbling out, bombing out, and a couple weekends ago... sat on the floor with my back facing outside and had someone flip my crossed-leggs up and out the door... I still popped into a box. :)

I suppose my point was missed again. I was/am not seeking advice about wheter or not a HopnPop filled logbook is cool or not. I was just curious how many people do.

There are however benefits of having a D license sooner than later. I have never been one to think that a # or letter made one person better than another. I also have never opted for an HnP over altitude, but as I am about to have my won gear that miht change. I enjoy the canopy ride and would like to improve my canopy skills. I tend to believe that canopy skills are of most importance. I do still love freefall, but sometimes when I go to 14k for a solo where I don't learn much I question If I would have been better off doing an HnP from 5 or 6k (what my dz gives cuz the pilot tends to forget the HnPs til reminded). Anyways it's nice to hear all the different views on this topic.

kwak
Sometimes your the bug, sometimes your the windshield. Sometimes your the hammer sometimes your the nail. Question is Hun, Do you wanna get hammered or do you wanna get nailed?????

If you are wanting to learn high-performance landings and downsizing I think a HnP in the main landing area would be better than having to use the alternate landing area on a regular load to avoid other canopies and moving landing obstacles.

The main landing area is where you land most of the time, you want to get a feel for control and speed; free of obstacles.

After that, then go up on that 300-way @ 23,000ft AGL. ;)

Good advice... Greatfully I have no intention/desire to learn high performance landings at this tage of the game. Just better and more refined control and accuracy. I'd actually like to try some accuracy stuff someday.

kwak
Sometimes your the bug, sometimes your the windshield. Sometimes your the hammer sometimes your the nail. Question is Hun, Do you wanna get hammered or do you wanna get nailed?????

" working time from 6,000..."
I wouldn't regard 6,000 as a hop & pop by any stretch of the imagination. You could also do four or five points of four-way from there.

how about the stretch of the imagination that you "hop" out and "pop" open your main? a 6k exit doesn't mean a 2.5k deployment, it may very well mean a 5.995K deployment.

One can hop&pop from 14k... it not necessarily about the altitude.

-jerm

Landing without injury is not necessarily evidence that you didn't fuck up... it just means you got away with it this time

ummm My ratio is 80:1 with 80 dives. :o

I had to do one to get my A, but have not done one since then. I am going out to Byron tomorrow, so maybe I'll do one in the morning before they put the KA up.

My first and only HnP was very eventful. I left the step (Cessna) and immediately reached to pitch. (ya, stoopid me) I rolled over on my back and watched the pilot chute go underneath me and rise up to the side. Funny, thing is that the HnP was from 3500 and I was in the saddle by 2900.

Connie, the JM, thought I was toast. She watched me fall out and flip over and thought I was going to get in an entaglement, but everything was fine.

I am wanting to do more, I just have been too spoiled jumping outta them turbine planes. :)

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

In the UK we tend to refer a hop and pop as the same as a clear and pull (ie hop out and pop the chute open). My answer was to a guy who can get between 4,000 and 6,000 easily but often can't get max. The CRW was a suggestion as something else that could be done (and fun) from that altitude range.

OK so let's invent a new acronym, perhaps LELO (Low exit, low opening) or LALO (low altitude, low opening). If you decline to get out below, say, three grand, you will get winter blues in the northern part of the US and elsewhere.

I was at a DZ last fall where a bunch of extremely bored skydivers paid to go on a ride in the Caravan because the ceiling was "too low." Only one got out, at 1700 feet. Turns out he was from my favorite DZ in the UK, and was used to getting out at low altitudes. Of course it's contrary to BSRs.

I don't care how other see it, I call a hop and pop or a clear and pull a jump where you have to pop/pull because you're low. Otherwise just tell the pilot and L/O you're pulling high.

HW

If you are wanting to learn high-performance landings and downsizing I think a HnP in the main landing area would be better than having to use the alternate landing area on a regular load to avoid other canopies and moving landing obstacles.

The main landing area is where you land most of the time, you want to get a feel for control and speed; free of obstacles.

After that, then go up on that 300-way @ 23,000ft AGL.

Were you talking to me???????????????????????????????????????????????????

Rhino

Throughout the early 70's a HIGH load from the
C 182 was 7,500 ft...... (5 bucks)... we did so many static line students then,,, that I have pages and pages
in my log book with "JM 3 S L 's,,,,, followed them out"
We also , always tried to get the plane up whenever the winds were good and we had at least 3000 ft of ceiling........of course there were the occasions when we THOUGHT we'd get 3000 ft.. but didn't......Hop and Pop...just under the scud.....Without digging out all the old log books,,,, I'd guess in my first 1000 jumps I did maybe 400 of them as get out, get squared away,,,, wave and pull.....no big deal...Fact is,,, when I made my 1000 th jump,(1979) , I only had like 5 hours of freefall hahahah:P .. since then things have changed,,We started getting altitude,,:ph34r:,,, and now mostly get out low ONLY when there are clouds
preventing us from climbing any higher... But nowadays,,, I look at those jumps as Hop and Hums...... since I like to get booking right along
before I toss,,,,,,Remember,, there is a big difference between coasting through 4 grand at terminal,,,,,,,from a high jump,,,,, and getting OUT at 4 grand.....I like listening to the relative wind as it starts to whistle in my ear while I am accelerating
after a lower altitude exit.. still never pull below your minimums,,:( and the key to longevity in this sport just might be,,,,,consider raising your minimum pull altitude a hundred feet or so each year,,,,, til you're back up to 2,800 2,900 3,000 feet again....(where some of us started.... as static line jumpers.)

Hey ya'll ... first post here on the forum, I read, but never post ... (Here's a case of virtual beer for everyone:P)

I H&P at least once a day when I go out (usually jump 5-6 days a week with 3-8 jumps a day). I love H&Ps for a couple of different reasons.

I like to H&P because it gives me free reign of the whole sky on my way down to landing. I don't have to think about a skydive, anyone around me, or anything at all really! I usually stall my canopy a couple of times (meaning, fold it into a nice round one and fly backwards until it's just about to twist) .. just do that because I like the thrill, it's not an elliptical, so it's not as dangerous to do. I practice all sorts of weird things, and don't have to worry about where other canopies are at. Landing's nice and easy as I can set up my pattern with no worries and come in however I want.

Personally, I just enjoy my canopy ride as much as my skydive and sometimes it's nice to enjoy it without worrying about which direction the first person landed.

I think roughly 10 or so % of my jumps are H&Ps.

Trailer 11/12 was the best. Thanks for the memories ... you guys rocked!

LoadHog! I wish I had such an opportunity to jump.:P
This, my first full year of jumping (120 in the books) I've got into the habit of three things.

First, I try to do a plain old solo jump with aerobatics and a funky exit to keep me in touch with non-RW flying on Saturday am. It's fun, it's going to lead into more frestyle :)
Second, I take one sunset hop'n'pop under canopy, preferably from the top. Watching the sunset over prairie fields and Lake Winnipeg is worth the jump ticket on its own. Then I hop'n'pop and just fly around for a few minutes being free as a bird. Of course, I still have enough alti for an accuracy approach to the hit'n'chug!

Finally, I do one 'canopy control' jump, often as loadfill on a tandem camera jump from our 182. I've been battling wits with an old tired Raven looking for a way to go fasterand improve my skills. Playing all the risers as well as the toggles and doing all the drills paid off over the summer. I was 'rewarded' with some demos under Sabres of decreasing size and finally under an eliptical at 1.25:1. All went well, and I was FINALLY able to get some decent 'feel and feedback' under canopy!

Time for more debt! Safety Fast.

Dave T

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)