TheBile

Body posture & flexibility problems.

Ok, here we go.
I'm going back to continue my AFF next summer (7 months) but there are a few things playing on my mind which I need to resolve during that time. I've been reading these posts since I joined DZ.com and they have been extremely helpful, but I thought I would have a little rant about my specifics to see if you could offer any help, advice, wisdom, kick up the arse etc.

Background : I've failed AFF Level 3 twice. The last time my JM had to grab my right arm close to the hard deck (after a seriously unstable fall) to stop me from backsliding further away from him and therefore pulled my chute for me. My JM was tempted to move me onto Level 4 even though I felt I wasn't ready for that. It's become irrelevant now because the shite weather roled in and I haven't jumped since.

Problem : Basically I'm having trouble with my arch and falling stable. Most of the other concerns I have will go once I nail this because I will feel that once I can achieve stability then it will give me the confidence to move on to the other stuff. My difficulty is that my body doesn't seem to have the flexibility that's needed. I know my knees need to be level with my shoulders in the arch but I really have to strain to get them there. Because of this strain I can't relax. If I do relax, the knees drop, I backslide and potato chips become my new friend. Also my mind seems to have no idea where my legs are. I've tried the Toe-Tapping but it didn't seem to help In my mind they feel like they are level but in actual fact the knees are down towards my chest. My JM says that I just need to develop the muscle memory to solve this.
The other problem I have is that as soon as I realise that the second JM has released me I tend to think, "Shit ! I'm on my own. Don't panic. Don't screw up" and tense up. I almost feel like any kind of twitch on my part will throw me onto my back or into a flat spin or something This tenseness causes my knees to drop. I try to relax but, as mentioned earlier, this also causes my knees to drop.
I know that if I get this sorted I will be much happier up there and will be able to progress. Hope you can help.

Cheers in advance.
Gerb

I stir feelings in others they themselves don't understand. KA'CHOW !

There was a really good thread about stretching a month or two ago, but I can't remember if it was here or over in the RW forum. You may want to do a search for it, it had a lot of good info in it.

Here's something I said in that thread, though:

Lay on the floor, on your stomach. Do a pushup, BUT keep your pelvis on the floor, just push your shoulders up and look up at the celing. You'll be bending at the waist, back up, like a really really intense arch, but with your feet/legs/pelvis on the ground. This is something taken from Yoga (if you've ever dont that) and should help you.

Maybe you could/should think about taking a Yoga class, especially now that its winter. It'll help you tons with your flexability and movement.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Working on flexibility will help.

So will removing the words "don't do" from your vocabulary; instead focus on the "do's". It's a mind game you play with yourself... and it works. Example - "don't drop my knees" becomes "I will keep my knees up." This "reframing" gives your mind something positive to dwell on - the rewards of keeping your knees up - instead of dwelling on not dropping them.

If you can, a bit of tunnel time would likely help solve your body position problems too. :)

Let the wind push your knees up. You're not controlling them. There's a thread similar to this one in General Skydiving Instructions about relaxing, and that's very possibly part of your problem. It might even be worth doing a dive where all you concentrate on is feeling what's coming in, rather than trying to control it.

Wendy W.

I had the same problem and discovered that my problem was I was arching wrong. I was arching with my belly and not with my hips and that made it nearly impossible to relax. Once I arched with my hips it became very easy to relax and my stability problems went away.

Brisco

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

I am a newbie as well. I just finished my aff and got my solo certificate. I found that relaxing is the best adivce for new skydivers. On my first few jumps I was somewhat unstable as well. By relaxing my arms and legs and letting the wind push them into a good arch, I became perfectly stable. It is all psychological, you are jumping out of a plane and that makes any newbie nervous but just forget about that and relax, breathe deep, and enjoy! It will come to you soon.
Flying Hellfish #470

for flexibility try yoga and regular exercise (walking, running, aerobics etc.).

My JM says that I just need to develop the muscle memory to solve this.

practice arching in front of a mirror for 25 times in a row. ie. arch hold it for 10 secs. dearch relax, arch again 10 secs. dearch relax. That will create the muscle memory you need, and its best if you try it every day and or before the jump.

"Shit ! I'm on my own. Don't panic. Don't screw up" and tense up

Don't think that, focus on the dive not on the one holding you.

HISPA 21
www.panamafreefall.com

Yoga, aerobics, dance, tae box, etc. classes all include stretching sssions, and they are a fun thing to do on cold winter evenings.

Laying face down on a soft mattress or hammock is a good way to practice arching, pulling your main handle, etc.

There are plenty of books on stretching.
My favorite is "The Stark Reality of Stretching" by Dr. Stark.

It is important to have a skydiving instructor observe your practice to ensure that you are arching from the pelvis. Too many junior skydivers arch only from the lumbar, or shoulders or neck up.

I'll throw in an extra .02 about yoga and how it can be helpful with skydiving (I've been practicing yoga for five years now and it's been really helpful with the arching/muscle memory)...Regardless of your level of flexibility, yoga can help you out a lot because it's not just about twisting yourself up like a pretzel ;) When you get into a yoga class, you'll learn a lot of breathing evenly (helps with relaxation) and as you work on the postures taught in the classes you will become aware of your legs, arms, hips, etc. You'll start to make a connection between your mind and your body which should help you out a lot with muscle memory and being aware of your body in freefall. Don't think you have to some sort of rubberized human to do yoga, not the case at all! I'm out for the winter as well....hate it, hate it, hate it :)

good question, never really had stability problem before but after pulling several afp jumps in one day and in good physical shape,my lower back would tense at the end of the day.the advice given to me which works great,especially right b-4 a jump minus the rig. stretch stretch and stretch,maybe not in that order but do it on a regular basis, it will help big time. muscle has memory is not just a saying but true.by stretching on a regular basis you will train certain muscles to respond to your brains input to arch turn while arching, stability while arching. it helped me very well good luck and stretch.

Ken:

Is there a wind tunnel in the U.K. where you can
work on your stability? In a tunnel you don't have
to worry about "falling from an airplane" or watching
your altimeter. You can just concentrate on body
position, and try various turns, maneuvers, etc.

"Is there a wind tunnel in the U.K. where you can
work on your stability?"

No but its coming.....

"SkyVenture UK

Opening: Late summer 2003
Times: Sunday – Friday 9am-2am, Saturday 9am-3am
Size: 14ft diameter, 15-20ft high
Price: £15 for BPA members for two 60 second slots, £20 for non-BPA members. Special rates will be available for teams and group & block bookings"
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Hi Gerb

I'm still working on getting my "A" (AFF L13), so take this for what it's worth, but I remember what my instructor told me to stop "potato chipping"

"Relax, and point your dick at the dirt". It works, if you arch from the waist (I tended to try to arch more from the chest) - your legs seem to take care of themselves, and you can feel yourself getting more stable, and picking up speed.

----------------=8^)----------------------
"I think that was the wrong tennis court."

I tend to think, "Shit ! I'm on my own. Don't panic. Don't screw up" and tense up.

Morning, Gerb!

Part of the problem (besides relaxing) may be in the above statement. You're thinking about what could go wrong. Visualization is key in a dive - when going up in the plane, think of what the perfect dive will look like - you're relaxed, grinning, having fun, staying in position, your JM's grinning 'cause YOU GOT IT, BABE!

And, you just may have the ability to arch very well...if you were relaxed. But because you're tensing up, your body isn't going to do what you'd like it to.

One of my JM's helped me when I was having a problem backsliding (and I still do on occasion). He had me get onto a creeper, put his hands underneath my feet, and had me press my feet into his hands in a proper arch. He told me that the pressure I felt would be very similar to what it would feel like in the air. Have one of your JM's help you with that as well.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Well, I failed level 3 four times before I got it right:S (yes, it it costed a little more than I had planned).
I had problems holdin a steady heading. Think I just were to tense, and didn't feel in controll as much as I liked. Then I were alowed to jump with sneakers. (I had heavy military boots). That jump solved everyting. With sneakers, I felt the air on my legs, and felt in control. Suddenly it was all fun and no stress.

I would believe you are flexible enough if you relax. However flex and train those hips. Do some mamba:)
Warning: More flexibility and control over your hips can make you a better lover. :P:D

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.